Big Trees Forest Preserve is a 1.6 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Atlanta, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 km Elevation Gain: 45 m Route Type: Loop

Meh. It was more like a back yard. Houses are very visible. Felt like I was intruding on their privacy. Plenty of parking. Good for small kiddos or to walk dogs.

Short hike, but we come here to play in the creek. My younger kids love to hike and play in the water.

Lil muddy (rained last couple days), in the middle of car dealerships and apartment complexes so tried to stay on the inside trails to not ruin the immersion experience.

I was not sure what to expect as this is nestled amongst car dealerships and government buildings, but I was pleasantly surprised! The trails were well marked and maintained. For an early Sunday morning I didn't see too many people and only one ignorant dog owner with an unleashed, unruly dog. I'm ok with an unleashed dog but at least have the decency to train it so it doesn't get lost. There are several different short trails, but I ended up doing the back trail a few times and got some good mileage in. Some of the off trails lead to apartment complexes to don't bother. I'd come back here probably.

Thu May 23 2019

Great place to take kids

Sat Apr 27 2019

Fun easy hike with my son.

Sat Feb 02 2019

This is a beautiful and simple trail for anyone. Good for young families.

Wed Jan 02 2019

great walk with my son who is 5

Sat Nov 10 2018

Great woodland trail in the middle of suburbia. Recommend that you check out the trail map posted at the kiosk.

Tue Nov 06 2018

You’d never know you were still in Atlanta! It’s breathtakingly beautiful and strenuous! Can really take in the nature around you!

Sat Sep 15 2018

Wonderful hidden gem for a short walk in the woods. Nice trail to take your dog for a walk.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Very cool under the canopy of the trees

Mon Mar 19 2018

Great hike and well maintained paths.

Sun Aug 27 2017

My getaway on the weekends. A beautiful place to hike. Moderate to strenuous.

Sun Feb 05 2017

Sun May 22 2016

Great place for a quick walk with the dog.

Tue Mar 29 2016

Good to take dogs for a short hike

Wed Jun 03 2015

A lovely urban gem. There is a loop along Powers Branch Creek, a back country trail and a wildflower meadow near the entrance of the park. It is very family, dog friendly with several seating areas to picnic. A great place to take a "time-out" from city life and watch the birds flit in and out of the forest.

Sat Apr 05 2014

Real simple loop. Not great if you're looking for a challenge, but it's a beautiful area to explore and sit, with lots of old growth oaks and plenty of benches and sitting areas.

Thu Sep 06 2012

This is one of my least favorite trails that I have hiked. The trails are poorly marked and it's difficult to follow any specific path. Not sure if it was just the day that I went but I ran into three separate groups allowing their dogs to run off leash. I forgot my dogs leash at home so I had to MacGyver one out of an old cell phone charger. Each time I approached and looked at their dogs off leash they would say, "It's OK, their friendly."... I'm not sure they got the point of the leash. However, this trail is nestled in an otherwise heavily developed area so if you're feeling stuck in the city this is a decent escape. With all the other options around me I likely wouldn't hike this trail again.

Tue Aug 21 2012

This little quiet place in slap in the middle of a city. A great place to walk to gather your thought and get away from the city. The babbling brooks and creeks help release stress. The other walkers are polite and there for just the quiet walk also.

Wed Oct 06 2010

This is an easy walk, not a hike, but it is great. It's a beautiful forest in the middle of the city. If you are wanting to just get out and be with nature but don't have a lot of time and don't want to go very far, I highly recommend going here. You wont be disappointed.

recorded Big Trees Forest Preserve