Big Poplar Loop via Pine Mountain and Sawtooth Trails

Big Poplar Loop via Pine Mountain and Sawtooth Trails is a 8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Warm Springs, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,223 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

You have to register at the office, pay $10 per adult per night to camp, and sign up for your camp site ahead of time

Good hike. Moderate for sure. Worth noting that you do have to cross the highway around midway. I think that’s why some said not a loop. It’s a good mix of up and down. Nothing to straight up . Gravel gets loose in a lot of places. Enjoyed it.

The Big Poplar Loop was a fun, moderate trail with enough canopy to keep us reasonably comfortable in spite of the 90 degree temps. The trail is very rocky, but the predominance of rocks is more like gravel and smooth. Enough elevation change to make it interesting but not difficult. I’ll definitely hike it again.

I enjoyed this trail considering this was only my 2nd ever hike. It was challenging for me and I love to push my limits. There was not alot of scenery but I did love when the foliage became thick and covered the trail. I would definitely do this again! Great trail... Great challenge.... My entire body was challenged.

Well marked, good moderate difficulty Georgia trail. Only a few good views, but the loop has a nice variety of trail environments.

Great hike! Very rocky and lots of inclines. For sure a trail for people in decent shape. Lots of creek views and small waterfalls. Also has some muddy spots. Well worth the 8 mile haul!

Great trail...very peaceful

The trail beagle and I did the loop on 6/18. Hot humid day but that's what you get in Georgia in June. Nice hike, nothing overly challenging or too steep. The moderate rating is accurate. Most of the stream crossings are no more than a trickle this time of year. As far as waterfalls, well I really did not encounter any. I hiked this in sandals and need to make a point.... be careful of the ants on the last mile or so, they don't like you there and they will not be hesitant to prove it. We'll probably be back in the fall or winter.

This is a great trail at a moderate level. Lots of creek crossings and small waterfalls. Not overly busy. Well marked with trailblazers. I will hike again.

Overcast cold February day could not dampen the mood on this trail. As a special treat, a flock of Sandhill Cranes flew in a perfect V overhead on two different occasions. Great day!

Awesome hike! Great campsites if needed!! Variance of terrain - with all the dead leaves definitely watch your step!

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

My girlfriend and I really liked this trail. First of all, being that it’s in F.D. Roosevelt state park, you have to register at the office, pay $10 per adult per night to camp, and sign up for your camp site ahead of time (in case you leave trash they’ll cite you). We were unaware of that, so I wanted to make sure future overnight hikers knew. We started at the Fox Den Cove parking lot (make a right out of the registration office and it’s right off the road on the left). This spot is at mile marker 6.2 of the Pine Mountain Trail. We hiked 3.1 miles the first evening to the Beech Bottom Campsite. It was fairly easy but very rocky so I recommend trekking poles in case you trip or lose your balance. A few parts have you on the edge of a pretty steep cliff, so definitely keep your dog leashed if you bring them. There are ample water sources, so you’re probably fine with a 1L capacity but bring a water bladder or another bottle to filter with because it’s not the clearest water. I also recommend a small cup to scoop water, because 90% of the water sources are shallow creeks without any tiny waterfalls to capture water. It was very difficult to get my CNOC Vecto full without scooping water into it with my hand. The Beech Bottom Campsite is very nice (I didn’t get a great look at the others, but I’m sure they’re fine). There was tons of water around this site which was created a nice ambiance but definitely bring your bug spray or bring something to start a fire in the fire pit. We did notice tons of little ground bees along with a few carpenter bees and a very large and curious bee that hung around us and our equipment the next morning. We weren’t stung, but I think they got joy from flying past our ears making us jump. After we broke camp in the morning, we started on the remaining 4.7 miles. This section is much more difficult than the first part. It’s a lot of uphill hiking. Overall it’s a nice trail. Very well marked and pretty diverse as far as Georgia goes (rocky sections, pine forest parts, dense humid jungle-ish areas, and breezy grassy sections). I would definitely call this more moderate than easy. We’re 25 and 24 and active, and we found it pretty challenging especially carrying 20-25 lb packs. I’m excited to see this section of trail again when we hike the full PMT.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Definitly not a bike trail! Avoid this trail if you’re trying to go on a bike ride.

Friday, March 02, 2018

me and my 2 dogs and my sister and her boyfriend started at fox den and went to the beech bottom campsite and spent the night and hiked out the next morning to the road and took it back instead of doing the whole loop. we had a good time and there is plenty of good cold water to purify so you really don't have to carry a whole lot with you. the hike was nice but very tiring with 50 lb backpacks on. that's why we decided to take the road back to the parking spot instead of doing the whole loop. nice trail overall.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Not really easy; I would call it moderate.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Great trail! Beech Bottom campsite has great water access and is a nice secluded retreat. Sawtooth trail was fun - uphill sections with heavy pack can be tiring. Highly recommend!

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Great trail but not super easy. Grab your backpack and dog then hit this trail for a secluded overnight adventure.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Nice hike, ran out of time so took the road back.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Well marked for miles. You can make this trip as long as you like.