Big Cedar Mountain and Granny Top via Appalachian Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(478)
Blood Mountain Wilderness

Big Cedar Mountain and Granny Top via Appalachian Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Suches, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. In the late 1800s "Bear" Joe Lunsford was a farmer and preacher in the Suches area. He'd climb to a rocky outcrop on what's now the Appalachian Trail to practice his sermons. The view is incredible, and today it's only a half-hour's walk off the pavement. The Appalachian Trail crosses the highway here. Follow the trail Northbound (where the restrooms are), towards Neil's Gap and Blood Mountain. Look for the trail markers: white rectangles 2" wide by 6" high. These are known as "white blazes." The first two-thirds of the hike to preacher's rock are a nice, easy hike.

nice view but trail was closed due to corona outbreak

We randomly picked this trail after finding access to Woody/Gooch to be closed due to COVID-19 concerns. This is a nice hidden gem! A variety of scenery, decent elevation, and a wonderful view from Preacher’s Rock! Definitely worth checking out. We ended up hiking 7 miles, as we continued past Preacher’s Rock and then doubled back.

Nice hike but I actually went all the way to blood mountain. That’s what you should do. Only recorded this section

Fun trail with some nice views, highly recommend.

Not sure why this one states 4.4 miles. To Big Cedar Mtn from Woody Gap is maybe 1.1 miles. Nice view from the rock.

It’s a little muddy in a few spots but a great hike up to Grannies Top. Nice and clear day in the low 50s so it was moderately busy (came across 50 or so hikers) but I will definitely hike this one again. March 8

icy

Hiked this trail today with our pet pig. He loved the trail! Beautiful views and very well worn trail to follow. some ice on the trail but not bad. This exact trail doesn't end with any beautiful vista or anything (that comes earlier on), but a great moderate workout!

this is a super trail. enough elevation gain to get a little workout to some great scenic spot. i can understand why during the good weather this is a popular spot. i did this today on a cool crisp january morning and i loved very step. i made this trail and ramrock into one big loop which made a really nice morning of hiking. since big cedar is the better of the 2 start with ramrock and finish up with big cedar. you won't be sorry.

Great portion of the AT in Georgia. Heavily trafficked between the parking lot and Preacher Rock; recommend walking the extra 0.2 miles to the top of Big Cedar mountain for some solitude and equally great views.

Great trail with scenic views. Sub freezing today and unbearable wind especially in Woody Gap.

This is a really nice trail which I'd grade somewhere between moderate and easy. I would definitely recommend getting there early has a tends to get very busy. The Trail is very well maintained and was flagged in a few places for future maintenance projects. The view from Preacher's Rock is indeed as awesome as some of the other reviews stated. Be careful though as the All Trails map of this hike is a little misleading. It shows the trail continuing past the Rock and what I assume is the summit of Cedar Mountain. It shows it continuing past that point but there is no true terminus. it merely continues on as part of the AT towards Deals Gap. All and all, a great little hike what's a great vista of the North Georgia Mountains as a reward

Did this today (6 Jan) leaving Woody Gap at about 9am on a cold, windy, but cloudless morning. Once we were in the woods we were protected from the winds and with a decent pace were warm in no time. My GPS says Preacher’s Rock is exactly one mile out and Big Cedar at total of 1.6 miles. The views from both spots was fantastic. A really nice little hike that anyone can do.

Hiked up to Preacher's Rock with my son on Christmas Eve 2019. A good hour round trip. We hung a hammock and sat together looking at the amazing view. A peaceful, wonderful, quiet way to spend time together before he returns to the Navy for his first long deployment to a hot zone. I look forward to returning and continuing up to the top of Big Cedar Mountain. Parking lot wasn't too bad Christmas Eve, but the other reviews recommend planning an early arrival for weekend parking. It is definitely worth it.

We went a few weeks ago and it was before 10am. There was snow and it was gorgeous!! The trail just ends...there is a point that will lead you right-and that goes to another trail. We should’ve taken that way. If you follow the actual trail. It leads you back down the mountain to a super strange point. Don’t recommend taking till that point

New Year Day Hike 2020. This was a perfect hike. Just enough of a challenge at the top. Amazing views. Will do again in both the spring and fall.

I was able to go midweek on a gloriously beautiful Fall day. So there were no crowds; just a nice group of other midweek hikers. Parking lot was pretty full but always a few spaces and about 12-15 people at rock at a time. Truly gorgeous.

Nice day for hiking. I have been hearing about Preachers Rock for a long time. Great views. Fall colors were disappointing. This is a popular trail. Parking lot overflowing by 8:30. Nice uphill with a few slippery rocks because they were covered with leaves and a bit wet. I would like to do this hike again during the week.

Great short hike. Not much of a climb until the last half mile. Beautiful view at the top! Easy parking.

Great trail! We didn’t make it to the very top but it does get very steep the higher you got. Beautiful views while climbing up. My dog loved it too!

This is one of my favorite trails in North Georgia just for the view at Preachers Rock, which is a short 30 minutes from the trail head. The turn around on this map is sort of random-- no real reason to turn around-- so I guess just turn around when you get tired.It is a crowded hike. I arrived at 9am on weekend, and parking lot was full.

The trail beagle and I took off early to get up to Preacher Rock before the heat. Nice hike up. Not too much incline on what turned out to be a great day. Its everything you expect from the AT. Quiet, lush and plenty to see. We ended up going all the way to Jarrard Gap and back. If you are looking to get away for a while this is certainly one of those places. By the time we were headed back the traffic picked up a lot. Most people we encountered were glad we were there to bring down the cobwebs before they ventured out. Upon our return the parking area was full so get an early start.

beautiful

Such a beautiful place. There were quite a few people there. But the rock itself, is gigantic! You never felt crowded. The hike to it is easy and short. The parking lot was super full when I got there at about 9:30. There were cars parked all up and down the road, at 11 when I left!

Typical AT surface, rocky with roots and well marked. Very crowded on our visit. The views are worth the crowds and rough terrain. We hiked past Preachers rock and found an off shoot trail that led to a campsite with a nice view as well. It looked like a very nice place to spend the night. The trail to the campsite was over grown a bit, but worth the effort.