Benton Mckay Springer Mountain Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(103)
Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area

Benton Mckay Springer Mountain Loop is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellijay, Georgia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 846 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail to hike, the view at the top was worth the work. The dogs enjoyed it a well

Love this place but it is CLOSED

Loved this trail! I went clockwise, but I would suggest going counterclockwise. Especially if you might not be in peak shape. There is a VERY long climb up to the top of Springer. I haven’t been hiking in a few months and it was also my first time hiking with a loaded 65L backpack. There are 3 water crossing that had slick rocks for stepping stones. Trekking poles would make that a lot easier.

Such a great trail! got a taste of the AT, Springer Mountain was a bit crowded at the top, as was expected from other reviews. Neat photo ops though with AT signage. The view from Owen's Overlook on the BM trail was incredible. We just sat and enjoyed it for quite a while, and we were the only ones there. On the backside of this loop, the creek crossings are really fun. Rocks are strategically placed so you don't get wet, but it still feels somehow adventurous. We had a lot of fun on this trail!

Nice trail but hard to get to. Drive to trail includes a 5 mile drive on gravel, single lane, road. A bumpy, slow but doable 30 minute drive.

private property

Beautiful trail. Went counter clockwise and visited the Terminus. First 2 miles of the Benton McKaye easy to moderate. Remainder moderate with some significant climbs but scenery and water crossings make it well worth it.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Great challenging trail. Crosses several creeks for water supply. Had my first bear encounter!

Sun Mar 31 2019

I wouldn't recommend this trail. The drive to get to the Springer Mountain parking area was an hour of potholed, muddy mountain paths that really messed up our small car. The views at the Springer Mountain summit were very underwhelming, and most of the hike is forested and unremarkable.

Sat Mar 16 2019

This was such a lovely trail! I met a few people beginning their hike north on the AT, which was such a pleasure. Dog friendly, chock-full of kind people, but the road to the trailhead was a small nightmare. If you have a car that can handle off-roading with ease, then you don’t have to worry, but neither I nor my Honda Accord were prepared for the long (about 7 miles?) dirt and gravel road that our directions indicated. It is steep, filled with potholes, and had a few places so muddy that my car almost got stuck. The hike was absolutely worth it, but be prepared for a bumpy ride!

Sun Mar 10 2019

We hiked this trail on March 6th. It was a chilly morning with icy spots on the trail. It was so exciting to visit the AT terminus! We met 3 hikers beginning their journeys to Maine. Good luck to each of them! The Bentin Mackaye Loop was really nice and quite. We only saw hikers on the AT portion of the loop. We saw several woodpeckers and Eastern Bluebirds. It was a beautiful day and a great hike!

Thu Mar 07 2019

We hiked this trail on 3/4/19! Beautiful Trail! Springer Mountain is the official southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail(AT) !! We began the trail at 12:09pm and it was a crisp 22 degrees, cloudy and 10mph winds! We started at the 1 mile up to Springer Mountain on the AT portion of the trail and we took just a short detour off the loop to the AT terminus as we went to the top, but no view as cloudy, windy and fogged over! Met about 15 plus hikers on the AT and 3 were thru hikers! SO then we ventured back and took a right on to the BMT to begin our loop! It was absolutely STUNNING!!!! Winter wonderland, icicles, snow covered pines, and even walked through tunnels of snow covered Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel along the creek and even got to cross over three stream areas!! SO NICE and PEACEFUL too!! Only met one very nice couple on the BMT and their beautiful beloved Aregentinian Dogo!! She sure was a beauty of a pooch! KUDOS to the BMT Trailblazers and Maintenance MEN and WOMEN VOLUNTEERS! This trail is in very good shape and maintained excellently! A few muddy spots but otherwise perfect and well marked!! We had lunch at Owen’s Overlook and by then the sun had come out and cleared to give us AN INCREDIBLE VIEW!!!!

Nice trail with three creek crossings!

Sat Jan 26 2019

This is a great little circle around the mountain. Beautiful tunnels through the Rhododendron and Mountain Laurel along the creeks. Long reaching views of mountain ranges from the ridges, in winter.

Mon Oct 08 2018

BEES AT OWENS LOOKOUT. GOT STUNG 4 TIMES

Sun Sep 30 2018

Owen’s lookout had the best views, but we got stung by bees, so just be careful.

Sun Sep 02 2018

This is a good day hike that just about anyone can do. Owens lookout was pretty impressive. I would recommend going all the way to the Springer summit. It's less than half a mile.

Sun Aug 26 2018

I recommend taking a short detour off this loop to the AT terminus at top of the mountain. Fun photo op at the AT marker, can sign the log [composition book], and enjoy a nice overlook. Tip: Some of the forest service dirt roads are for high clearance vehicles only. Check out their maps to choose the best access for you. Even some of the roads marked for passenger vehicles might not be suitable for sedans that are low to the ground - due to potholes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/conf/maps-pubs

Fri Jul 20 2018

nice moderate trail that gets you on two big ones, the AT and the BMT. we hiked on a Friday and only saw a few people and that was when we were getting close to the parking lot. We ate our lunch at Owen's overlook which is about halfway. This was our second time on the trail, last year we hiked it clockwise and this year we went the other way:)

Sat Jul 14 2018

This trail is a must do. You get to see the first blaze on the AT with a incredible view on top of Springer mountain and then you'll follow a incredible creek with mutable waterfalls .

Fri Apr 27 2018

I turned my recording on and off as we stopped. I forgot to restart at an overlook and missed 1/2 of the hike. I will leave the recording on from now on. We took the most difficult road to get to the start. Scary! We drove home Doublehead Gap Rd to 52. Much better! The trail was well marked, moderately easy and so beautiful at the end of April. Few hikers were in the trail. 3 stream crossings on Benton Mackaye trail. A good day.

Fri Nov 17 2017

We ended up doing a 5.5 mile loop that roughly followed this loop. Nice afternoon hike. Interesting drive, via UFS roads to get to parking lot.