Bear Hair Gap Trail

Bear Hair Gap Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Suches, Georgia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles. Turn right into Vogel State Park.

A nice walk in the woods but the only view is small and found at the summit. I agree with walking this one counter clockwise. I prefer dealing with rocks and loose footing going uphill. Several creek crossings along the way.

Beautiful trail with a great view of Lake Trahlyta.

Hiked in the rain and it was still a fun trail! We did Blood Mountain the day before so the view, while still beautiful, is nothing compared to Blood Mountain. Pretty woods with lots of water features. All three dogs had a blast!

Great Trail. We too hiked counter clockwise and avoided walking up a lot of wet, loose rocks. Took about 2 hours to hike.

This was our Black Friday walk off the pumpkin pie hike. Throughly enjoyable for all in our party including our pup. MapMyHike app logged 5.5 miles for our 1:30 to 4:00 trek. We were leisured in our pace and stopped several times for photo opps and the like. We chose counter clockwise loop and I recommend it as the ascent was more gradual and not as rocky and wet as the decent. Definitely include the Overlook loop. We added in the lake loop to see the waterfall and then jumped over to Helton Creek to end the a great day in front of the magnificent Helton Creek Falls.

Nice trail beautiful in the fall time! Rewarding with overlook at the top!

Today I started late in the day. The first part leaving the trail head at the drink machine at Vogel State Park was up hill the entire way. That may sound stupid but there was very little flat trail! The beauty of the trail is amazing!
It gets very quite the higher you get on the trail. You are walking beside a creek going up and down most of the way which is the only sound you my hear. Always watch for bears but I didn’t see one. I guess the best way to put it is be aware of your surroundings!!!

Nice trail. Parked at Vogal State Park and walked to trail head. I went past the loop and up Slaughter Mtn to the intersection of the Backwoods trail. That portion is more difficult than the loop.

Great trail for beginners to novices with some tough parts! This trailhead is directly out of Vogel State Park and it does cost $5 for a parking pass unless you have a national state park pass. The trailhead is behind cabin #7 just behind some drink machines. This trail intersects with Coosa Backcountry Trail which is a super long, strenuous hike of about 12 miles. There are some steep parts for sure and it does get tough at times but there are also several level parts that are easier. There are a couple of hairpin turns that might throw you off so make sure to follow the green blaze markers on trees. Red markers are for the Coosa trail. Several creeks you cross over and many tree roots. The top has a great view over the lake of Vogel State Park but since it's August the trees were very leafy and obscured much of the view unfortunately! I imagine the view is fantastic in fall/winter when the leaves are gone. Overall a great hike but do pay attention to markers. This is a loop trail about 4 miles total and coming down the other side of the loop is much rocker and more rugged... would recommend coming down the same side you went up for really new beginners. It's much easier. There are bathroom facilities at the parking pass center before you hit the trailhead. Enjoy!

Easy hike with wifey. nice overlook of the lake from the top.

Nice hike with several streams. Added on to the loop 2 miles going to slaughter mountain to put the elevation gain at 1500 ft.

Moderate to hard. Steep in many places but worth it!!

Not a good beginner trail but a great hike! Pretty steep in some places but the view at the top of the Vogel Overlook and the beautiful creeks and small waterfalls are so worth it. Our pup loved it! We loved it, and will definitely be back again!

I did this trail this past Sunday It was a amazing hike, steep at times and the lookout at the top is a must see

Overall a pretty nice trail. The trailhead is located adjacent to Cabin #7. We had a difficult time finding this as we first entered Vogal Park. The hike was very steap at times. The Vogal park overlook at the top is a must.

Lush and beautiful hike!

Nice moderate loop. The dog loved it. Decent climb

Lots of elevation and lose rocks. Make sure you have water and good shoes. Plenty of people but worth the hike.

It was okay. I didn't realize that it was the same trail down as up. Great view at the top. Not exactly puppy friendly; too many rocks on the trail. Steep. A little bit more difficult than a moderate hike.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Steep at time but worth the view from the overlook at the top

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This, for me, was difficult. Seemed either straight up, or straight down with very little reprieve in between. There was really nothing impressive about the trail. Did the Vogel Overlook, which was somewhat disappointing. All that work for a glimpse of a lake. I'm in the Georgia Mountains, I was expecting great mountain views. Didn't happen. Plus a big section near the last mile or two, is very poorly marked. You have to do a huge rock formation "roundabout " You need to look for the green blaze or you will go the wrong way. It's also confusing near the last mile, where Bear Hair and Coosa meet up, there's red blazes everywhere, you have to search for the green ones. Anyway , I got to be outside on a trail, so I rated it a 3.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Great trail for our scouts- not too rough- nice view on top in the fall.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

moderate, good beginners trail. nice view at summit of Vogel lake. this trails connects with Coosa backcountry trail, as well as Duncan ridge trail, intersecting AT. then you can hike north to Blood mountain....and back to Vogel sp, or to Neels gap....resulting in a longrt mare difficult hike.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Hiked the last weekend in October. As others said great hike but it does take several hours to do the full loop. If short on time after you see the overlook go back the same way you came. The other part of the loop can be challenging for some.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

A classic North Georgia moderate trail both in elevation and distance.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

good for training

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Going up was a work out but worth it. We even saw black bear cubs way up in the trees on the downhill portion of the trail.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Just finished the hike. Beginning is very steep uphill and rather rocky. The Vogel Outlook is worth the time getting there. The trail is marked fairly well until the Wolf Creek area. The park map isn't in great detail, so I crossed Wolf Creek like I "thought" I was supposed to, then turned left going down the "unknown" trail. The trail instantly became very narrow, and at one point, you almost had to slide down a rock bed covered in mud to continue. 300 foot drop in just a minute. Very steep. I'll do the trail again, this time with a much better map. Overall, nice hike, but more on the difficult side.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 30 2016 trail was up hill all the way up , very rocky and hard to walk, trail not marked well and colors of green changed and was confusing . Sign for Loop pointed wrong way and made us take wrong trail. Items reported to Vogel State Park Ranger

Friday, March 18, 2016

We started at the ranger station at Vogel. Went counter clock wise to Vogel overlook. Took 1 hour and 10 minutes to get to the overlook. Great view. Temperature was in the 60s. No leaves on the trees yet. The trail was mostly up hill all the way to the overlook with grades of up to 35 degrees. Very rocky for about half the distance. Did not see any bears or snakes. Saw many different kinds of birds. Enjoyable day. We came back the same way we went up to the overlook. To me I did not think this was an easy trail because of the steady up hill.