Bear Hair Gap Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(389)
Vogel State Park

Bear Hair Gap Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Suches, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 928 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles. Turn right into Vogel State Park.

Really a pretty hike through mountain laurels and waterfalls! I camped at the state park and started at 8:00 a.m. on a Monday morning. I was relieved to leave the noise of the campground behind. I met only one other couple the entire hike so was alone with only the sound of waterfalls and birds. I did the loop in a counterclockwise direction. I'm in moderate shape. The ascent was a long slog up that left me winded sometimes but no part of it was too steep. It to 1:15 to reach the overlook from that direction. Definitely hike to the overlook. That's a highlight of the hike. the way back down is longer and rougher than I expected. There are numerous stream crossings and steep sections that made me wish I brought my hiking poles. The descent took me a full 2 hours because I had to watch my footing.

Great trail, especially if you start the ascent with Coosa then the descent on Bear Hair. Coosa downhill could be a bit challenging given the moderate difficulty of the terrain (rocks, roots, and narrow passes).

Beautiful hike with many wildflowers this time of year. Elevation gain is a great workout so start before the heat of day and pack plenty of water. The trail itself is shady but uphill.

fee

5-23-2020. Vogel park is open now.

It’s open! Really nice 4.1 mile hike, moderate uphill to start to outlook, then leisurely downhill back to trail head. Well marked, well maintained, nice couple of small streams to cross. Only downside is that the view from the outlook is a little covered by trees, but still a really nice view.

It’s not closed.

Closed due to covid-19

Such a beautiful hike! Hardly anyone out due to coronavirus scare. Camped at Vogel And hit the trail from our campsite.

Nice Trail, especially in the evening. Only saw one other hiker, dog really enjoyed it too! Pretty views at the Vogel look out!

Nice easy trail. Relaxing when not crowded. Easily can do it in 2 hours or less.

Hiked yesterday. Had no problem finding parking at 10am on a Saturday ($5 for the day). There was lighter traffic on the trail when we first started but as we finished (around 1pm) it was difficult to practice social distancing around the trail head/exit due to the number of people starting their hike. All round it was a great trail. Mostly rocky and dry but there are multiple locations were streams cross the trail. Plenty of dogs along the way, but we didn’t see any wildlife other than squirrels and occasional bird. The trees are starting to bud and flowers are peaking up out of the dirt— I suspect great flower views are a week or two away.

Busy today!

Awesome trail! Lots of fun stuff; plenty of streams to cross, lots of scenic views, flowing water! We did it with our 9 and 11 year-old, they loved it! Go Bear Hair! Boom!

I wonderful trail for my wife and I of 60 years old. Slightly challenging at points but all quite manageable. A little piece of heaven on earth if you ask me.

Great trail. Hiked with the kids (6 & 3).

Outstanding hike today. Beautiful in all places of the hike. Would definitely do again.

We didn’t follow the trail exactly, but it was a great hike. Still some snow on the ground in the trees, but the trail was i great condition.

icy

A new favorite! Looking for a moderate trail to work out the soreness of yesterday’s 6 mile steep climb to Brasstown Bald. Perfect choice. Lovely wooded, well maintained trail with streams to cross, and rocks to climb over. Felt like a kid playing in the woods. Trailhead just past cabin #7 at Vogel State Park. Would definitely hike again.

We went after 4” of snow had followed 4” of rain a few days earlier., so things were pretty muddy (though never swampy). Some creek crossings were a little tricky as well, but nothing too bad. Absent the extremely wet conditions, the trail would have been try and almost always easy to manage.

We had a nice hike in 4 inches of snow. We decided to take the loop counter-clockwise because taking the downhill slopes could have been treacherous. We thought it was better to take the steep grades up hill in the snow. There are some nice changes in elevation, which makes her some great exercise. There's plenty of water along the trails.

Well maintained trail, easy to follow. Small view of the lake at the end. Nice camping spot with a used fire pit at the summit. Would hike this again.

icy

Great day hike that's got everything you want in a trail.

Longest hike we've done as novices in this hobby. The front side was strenuous for us, but after the overlook things got easier. The overlook was pretty and you could see unobstructed in November. I would hike it again.