Bear Hair Gap Trail

Bear Hair Gap Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Suches, Georgia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 10 miles. Turn right into Vogel State Park.

Great trail for our scouts- not too rough- nice view on top in the fall.

moderate, good beginners trail. nice view at summit of Vogel lake. this trails connects with Coosa backcountry trail, as well as Duncan ridge trail, intersecting AT. then you can hike north to Blood mountain....and back to Vogel sp, or to Neels gap....resulting in a longrt mare difficult hike.

Hiked the last weekend in October. As others said great hike but it does take several hours to do the full loop. If short on time after you see the overlook go back the same way you came. The other part of the loop can be challenging for some.

A classic North Georgia moderate trail both in elevation and distance.

good for training

Going up was a work out but worth it. We even saw black bear cubs way up in the trees on the downhill portion of the trail.

Just finished the hike. Beginning is very steep uphill and rather rocky. The Vogel Outlook is worth the time getting there. The trail is marked fairly well until the Wolf Creek area. The park map isn't in great detail, so I crossed Wolf Creek like I "thought" I was supposed to, then turned left going down the "unknown" trail. The trail instantly became very narrow, and at one point, you almost had to slide down a rock bed covered in mud to continue. 300 foot drop in just a minute. Very steep. I'll do the trail again, this time with a much better map. Overall, nice hike, but more on the difficult side.

March 30 2016 trail was up hill all the way up , very rocky and hard to walk, trail not marked well and colors of green changed and was confusing . Sign for Loop pointed wrong way and made us take wrong trail. Items reported to Vogel State Park Ranger

We started at the ranger station at Vogel. Went counter clock wise to Vogel overlook. Took 1 hour and 10 minutes to get to the overlook. Great view. Temperature was in the 60s. No leaves on the trees yet. The trail was mostly up hill all the way to the overlook with grades of up to 35 degrees. Very rocky for about half the distance. Did not see any bears or snakes. Saw many different kinds of birds. Enjoyable day. We came back the same way we went up to the overlook. To me I did not think this was an easy trail because of the steady up hill.

I am a novice hiker. So, for a "Rookie", this trail was a good challenge. I overheard a couple of other groups commenting that they wished they had brought more water.

We took some young Boy Scouts on the trail. We camped at the Pioneer Campsite and went counter clockwise. That was a good plan, because the finish was a rather steep decline and it ended at our base camp.

My favorite part of the trail was at the "Karma Rock Pile". I hope all of the previous hikers enjoyed the hike.

I hope you enjoy your hike.

i would rate this trail strenuous due to steep sections and numerous creek crossings that require rock hopping or getting wet. hiking poles are recommended. much of the bear hair runs along old jeep trails that go straight up or down with no switchbacks. the middle section is about a mile of level walking which was enjoyable. i could hear the wind screaming over blood mountain but the trail was protected. i did not go out to the vogel overlook. there are a lot of old growth pine and hemlock trees. total time about 2 hours. 4 humans and no animals were encountered. I have done the trail twice since this review and recommend it to all hikers. at the top you can fork on the duncan ridge trail up to slaughter gap and then to blood mountain .. thus avoiding the crowd hiking up from neels gap.