Bear Creek Trail

Bear Creek Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellijay, Georgia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Downhill track for the bear creek trail system. Top speeds get up to 30+ The uphill is continuous but the overview look is well worth it. The downhill back down is blistering fast and has many air opportunities on the way down. Watch out for other trail users.

Great trail. With many ride options.

I took the bear creek spur to the loop, which tacks on a few miles. Great hike, a lot of ups and downs. Crossed some creeks 6 times or so. Plenty of scenery, some fell trees across the trail. Some great campsites, and in the Cohutta wilderness you can camp anywhere as long as regulations are followed. Loved every minute of this hike.

amazing, gorgeous trail that is pretty easy. frequent run ins with the creek and frequent changes of scenery. be aware of the narrow road on the way in. also, watch out for black bears!! our hike got turned around when we crossed paths with a mama and 4 cubs. the trail also features north Georgia's tallest and widest tree. awesome hike all around

God's country! my happy place! this is the most beautiful place in the world to me! I come here every chance I get. Plenty of private camping areas around the creek or away from it your chose!

A classic!

Dual use trail, narrow with mountain bikers. can be a bit perilous since the sight lines are too short to see people flying at you.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Hard to find but worth the drive. I encountered only two people (both on bikes) while hiking. Very dog friendly. My pup loved the creek crossings and laughed at me when I lamented wet shoes. Full loop took us only 3 or so hours. Beautiful forest and quiet. The Gannett poplar was amazing but horribly scarred by others carving the trunk.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Beautiful but I would rate the hike as a black skiing mountain! Trail not well marked. Got lost and ended up hiking a total of 11.4 miles. Some very steep inclines. Not for kids unless you want to end up carrying them or shooting yourself from the whining.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Well, me and my uncle decided to go for a hike to Bear Creek Trail. While hiking the trail we heard loud screams. Thinking nothing of it we kept moving until we got to the Gennett Poplar Tree. While looking at the tree that we came here to see, I started taking pictures while not noticing that there was something up in the tree. Walking down to the tree I started to read sketching sick people wrote into the tree. Examining the beauty of the tree, as I looked up I saw a baby bear cub up on one of the limbs. Usually meaning the mama was really close by. While this bear was looking into my soul, I instantly took off. Keeping in mind that it would have taken the bear a few minutes to get down that tree. Let's just say we hightailed it out of there! We now understand why it is called bear Creek Trail. LOL!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bear Creek Trail is a seven mile loop trail located in North Georgia. The trail features some interesting scenery, such as Bear Creek, countless stream crossings and the giant poplar tree.

The trail itself is not particularly exciting on the second half of the loop, but the first section is quite lovely as it follows the creek closely. The second half of the loop is essentially a fire or service road and is not particularly exciting. A few views along the way of the valleys below make this section bearable (get it?).

Mountain bikers love this trail, which is fine, but I always prefer to hike without the fear of being runover in the middle of a blind curve. This almost happened to my group twice on our hike.

I will likely not return. It's a fine trail, well-maintained and clean. But it's not what I want from a day's hike.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Take the Bear Creek Trail to the big Poplar tree. It is a 7 mile loop. Very beautiful. We came in April. Awesome temperature. My dog loved it too! be careful on the streams. I fell walking on a log.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Fun, easy hike! Great for the family!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

One of the best hikes I've done in Georgia! I had an absolute blast here. The trail is dog friendly, but I would advice your furry friend to be larger, as the creek crossing are hard with a smaller dog. The trail is slightly longer than it states here, as I clocked in a total of 7.5 miles at finish. There are some places there are poorly marked, so I'd advise downloading the topo map

Monday, December 28, 2015

Be prepared to get your feet wet. Other than that it was great!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Gorgeous! Love it!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Love this trail!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

I'm always impressed with this place because it's home to a pretty big tree, as far as the Appalachians are concerned. Yes, it's a forest road. It isn't a big deal if you like off-roading like I do. Yes, it's hard to find. It's because they don't want people to find it. Yes, I'll repeat it and will do so for three reasons: tree, jeep, creek. Don't worry if you don't have a 4-wheel drive. I've made the drive in the summer months in a Nissan Stanza. Do worry if you have a problem finding your balance. There are several stream crossings over slick rocks. I had the pleasure of hiking this trail with my grandma once, and she showed me up crossing the streams. I had wet feet, and she had a grin on her face, but she grew up five miles from here. I think she wins. Grandmas usually do.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Ok. Forest Rd much of
The time. Beautiful trail along the creek. Found a perfect ENO spot along the river by the loop trail. Not
A repeater, but it has some nice spots.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Was not impressed. The trailhead itself is a bit hard to find and may require a 4x4 during wet weather. As said before,the hike to the tree is easy and enjoyable, and the tree is a must. Other than that, I suggest you hike in for the tree and back out. We ended up taking a left instead of a right (sign said both were the loop), alas not so. After walking a long while on a logging road, we hit a dead end and turned back around. Guess we should have gone right.

Monday, April 14, 2014

I used a gps mapping app and it recorded 8.38 miles. The trail was easy and we completed the loop in about 3 and 1/2 hours. Beautiful creeks. Be prepared to get your feet wet. Be vigilant of mountain bikes on trail.