Bear Creek Backcountry Trail

Bear Creek Backcountry Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rising Fawn, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,279 feet Route Type: Loop

The primitive campsites are now open, as of May 2019. Primitive campsites are sites 12 and 13. Backcountry sites 1-11 are located along the 2 mile backcountry loop, near bear creek backcountry trail. All can be booked online.

decent hike. only two really nice views of the canyon at the top of the loop if you go of trail by 20-30 yards. no waterfall to be found, even hiked a mile off trail up the creek looking for it. overall a fun hike, but very little to look at. very strenuous trail for exercise.

Where to start! Lance and I decided upon this hike based on prior review and were devastated! This hike was measly! No mimosas were had to celebrate, rest assured. We began this hike at the lay-person campsite area where it was packed with many running children (cmon moms!). When we finally made it to the so called “primitive campsite” we were vastly devastated. NO primitive markings, ancestry, or alternative medicine whatsoever. The restroom huts along the way were however quite enticing and pleasant. My favorite part of this hike was a hand-crafted by nature staff for walking, how delicate the wood felt in my bingers. This staff was theived! Robin hoods how dare thy!!

nice trail. I would come back again to the small fall that is has. going down there is about 3miles I would say round trip. doing the whole loop in my opinion doesn't offer much sight seeing but is does kicks your butt really good trail if you want to exercise. if you are more into sightseeing just get to the fall and come back not much to see up there after the fall.

This trail was incredible!! There is a very steep hill about a mile and a half from the trailhead that was a pain to climb twice but other than that, the trail was fairly moderate. Definitely bring Gatorade/ Powerade and lots of snacks if you plan on hiking this during the summer.

Not a bad hike, but I have to say it's a bit overrated here. There are a couple places on the west side of the loop where you can see the canyon through the trees, but there are much better views from some of the other trails. Some of the pictures uploaded here I suspect are actually from the Overlook trail (you can tell by the angle and the fact that there is a rail). I love a good hike through the woods like this one, but I recommend doing some other trails if you come to see this beautiful canyon.

This hike was incredible. Not for the novice hiker. Lots of elevation and amazing scenery. Will definitely visit again.

This was a beautiful trail, but definitely not moderate! It had brutal inclines, and the trail was very strenuous. Be prepared to get your tail whooped!

This trail is very nice and I loved it. We did not see any other hikers on this trail while on our Sunday afternoon hike. Would have been nice if the trail markers had mile # on them (yes I know could have used my GPS but signal was little to none at all in some places. Other than that, no complaints at all.

The best trail I've been on.

Great day hike. Trail is easy to follow. Only saw a few other people on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. If you are going to spend the night in one of the two campsites in the wilderness area, bring enough water. Once you cross Bear river, there is not much more water available.

Great trail cool water beautiful views on the canyon rims and waterfalls/water below

Did an overnight in mid May. Beautiful hike and not crowded at all. Maybe passed 6 on the way out and none the next day. Trail is very well marked and in good shape. Walking stick definitely came in handy when rock hopping across the creek. As someone else mentioned, when camping at the primitive sites (especially #2), keep tabs on your water. These sites are on the ridge and not close to the creek.

This past fall I hiked this 4 times. Last time I was there, we heard a bear moaning. Never saw it, but the sound was unmistakable. So I’ve been leery to solo hike there. Until today. Saw no one else, which is the way I like it! Bear Creek was not exactly rock hoppable, but I came prepared with water shoes. Lots of wild azaleas and a few dogwood trees blooming. Not an abundance of wildflowers, but did see 3 varieties of violets, foamflower, squaw root, violet wood sorrel, yellow star grass, crested dwarf iris, bluets, and rue anemone. I began from the playground parking lot, which saves about a mile, as opposed to beginning at the Backcountry camping parking lot. Camping is now allowed at the 2 primitive campsites, with reservation. Costs $8/person per night.

So worth the drive out! Amazing views, not overly crowded, well maintained, and just a really awesome get away trip. I'll definitely be back soon

Very cool trail. You will have to get your feet wet to cross the creek. Since my feet were already soaked, I decided to explore a bit more up stream. I highly recommend this. It’s a bit of a rock scramble, but there are several more waterfalls, magnificent boulders, and deep pools just around the bend. While the decent down to the (creek? River?) bottom of the canyon is steep, and the climb back up paralleling Bear Creek is also steep for about half a mile, the “Loop” part of the trail is well marked, not particularly rocky, and very runnable with some great views.

Quick note if you’re planning on this hike in the winter months, you have a large steam crossing that you can’t rock-hop across. You will have to get your feet wet.

Great!! We love it ❤️

This entire trail is absolutely gorgeous! Since it has reopened, I've hiked it twice. The ranger's office told me this trail is 9.1 miles beginning at the Backcountry parking lot. Also was told no camping is allowed (yet) at the two primitive campsites. I first hiked the loop beginning from behind the playground parking lot. My GPS tracked it at 8.0 miles. The next time I began from Backcountry. My GPS lost connection down by the creek, so cannot give an accurate mileage report. It is a somewhat steep descent to the creek. If water isn't too high, it's easy to rock hop across. The trail is well marked and maintained. My Fitbit tracker logged 155 flights of stairs overall. Climbing back up from the creek accounts for 37 flights alone. Other than deer and squirrels, didn't see any wildlife. But heard a black bear moaning loudly yesterday! This is my new favorite trail.

Just got back from this trip yesterday. The views are nice and trail is well maintained. HOWEVER, I made a reservation to get one of the primitive campsites...well, I get there (FROM FLORIDA) and they nonchalantly tell me that the Bear Creek Trail is closed to camping “but don’t worry we have a 2 mile trail too”. I didn’t drive from FL, arrive at pm to hike a trail that’s going to take me 40minutes. No lookouts, no water; infact, most of the 11 sites on a 2 mile trail were families who brought WAGONS FULL of stuff with them (that should tell you how easy it was). We camped the 2 mile trail and then did most of the Bear Creek but had to turn around so that we could head home in time. We plan on going back doing the actual Bear Creek.

Trail is open! Great rough trail. Rough enough that you won't see others, but will see great views and enjoy a true back woods experience. Trail was recently reopened after state purchased needed property.

Park has purchased the section that was on private property and as of Aug 2018 trail is now back open!!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Beautiful panoramic views on the bluff. Bright orange markers throughout the trail to keep you on track. I went in January so they were easy to see. There is a creek crossing and the rocks are slippery. It's a long hike so take water and snacks. Some steep areas as well. We did not see another person on the trail after the creek crossing. I saw a group of wild turkeys and a deer. There are a few campsites way out there called the primitive campsite near an amazing bluff view. I enjoyed it. Would do it again.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Bear Creek Backcountry Trail is by permit only for hiking (no bikes). It's a 7.1 mile loop with some challenging sections. It's well marked and has two backcountry camping sites. There is a water crossing 2 miles in but if the water is at normal levels is easily accomplished without getting wet. They do not issues permits after noon for hiking that day. We completed the entire loop without seeing another hiker, very peaceful.