Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob

Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Clayton: There are three access points. 1) Take US Hwy. 411 north 1 mile past Dillard. Turn right onto GA 246 toward Highlands, NC. Continue on GA 246 and 106 for 7 miles, and turn right onto Bald Mountain Road. Continue 2.1 miles, and take County Road 7 for 1.1 miles. 2) Take Warwoman Road ( State Road 884) east from Clayton for 3 miles to the Warwoman Dell Recreation Area. 3) Take US Hwy. 28 toward Walhalla (east) to the bridge at the Georgia/South Carolina line. The parking area is on left of the bridge prior to crossing into South Carolina.

Right near the beginning of the trail, just on the other side of the road crossing, there is a large fallen tree and a number of smaller chainsawed trees jumbled together. It looks very much like the path is intentionally blocked off, but just climb over/through it. Once you start ascending, the climb is relentless — be prepared for that. It’s not steep, but it continues for over two miles with no break. There are some flat areas off the trail before and after the main waterfall (at about the halfway point) that would make great camping spots, and really are the only spots suitable for tents. There is a fire ring on the summit, and several trees perfect for hanging a hammock — I napped for a couple hours before heading down again. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

Definitely a bit muddy right now but the waterfalls are amazing and that view at the top is worth the last mile and a half. Be ready to climb over some fallen trees (worst one is at the very beginning). Bring a bunch of water and snacks/lunch. It’s pretty shaded for the most part and some areas look very snakey but I didn’t see any wildlife except birds and lizards. I lost cell service until close to the top so download the map!

woo! This one kicked my ass. Dad and I took the pup. I'd say the first and last mile are the most difficult. if you're going post rain where some boots with good tread. Bring about 2L water. Stay hydrated. we didn't as much as we should have and we are definitely feeling that today. It is a really pretty hike and if you go mid-Summer, expect to see lots of lush green forest and plenty of mushrooms. There's a pool at the bottom of the falls for the way back to stop and have some lunch and soak your feet. Reviving! The view at the top is beautiful and there are camping spots set in from the view and also near the falls.

The map is a little out of date, just before the peak there are a number of switchbacks to the south side of the peak, thank God.

This was an awesome hike. There are a couple of waterfalls and even tho the las third of the hike is pretty much just trees, once you get to PK the view is breath taking. I would say pack a bottle of water and a lot of energy... it’s totally worth the sore legs on the next day.

Sweet hike with wonderful waterfalls along the pine bog path with scattered rocks and roots - assent and descents paced along the way - and ditto on Dave’s response below

Not a soul - easy first half - criss crosses river and water falls then the climb up, moderate. Killer views over north and north west ga- some sweet camping spots along the river as well as at the top of the knob - mapped it on the way back though cause it was a little wonky at the knob spur - more like a 8.6 miler total in and out.

What an incredible trail! Featuring waterfalls, a beautiful peak, and plenty of wildlife opportunities. I'd have to agree with another reviewer who mentioned this trail as being one of the most beautiful in Ga. Plenty of water sources easily accessible from the trailside. I would recommend staying stocked with water, I went through about 3 liters going up and down. The hike was strenuous at times, but what's a trail without a good challenge?

Fantastic hike! Challenging. One of the better hikes in Georgia. The Vista is spectacular words nor photographs give it justice. The abundance of water was fantastic for the dogs. I especially enjoyed the pool of cold water which rejuvenated my joints. I expected to see more wildlife. Great hike for solitude. Recommend packing a lunch for this one although Clayton is close enough and has an abundance of restaurants.

Every weekend I do a hike in North Georgia, and this one immediately shot to number one. The early spring wildflowers were in such rare form that I initially thought that the trail had been planted. As stated by others, this trail has something for everyone. The day I hiked this trail, the valleys were filled with fog, and the cascades and waterfalls were gushing. Sun rays were piercing through the early Spring canopy casting cool shadows and ephemeral rainbows. Save one quiet photographer and two small groups of overnighters, amazingly I had the entire area to myself. The trail is narrow, as in no more than necessary for single file walking, which means that disturbance along the path is at a minimum. The route is extremely well marked, and all water crossing of any size are either bridged or well stabilized with stone. The Pinnacle Knob side trail is blazed with green, and immediately cuts a swath through a rhododendron thicket (which is unusual and a little sad but at the same time very unusual in its almost tropical-ness), then skirts back and forth as it works its way gradually to the top. The reward for this effort is a broad vista of large, mountainous expanses of [thankfully] untouched forest land. The USGS benchmark on the top lends a real old school legitimacy to the summit. Timing it right, this would be the perfect private hammock camping site. Glad I suggested it to everyone...

One of my favorite walks. Has something for everyone. This trail passes two very picturesque waterfalls on the way to an easy to reach summit with fantastic views to the North and over Clayton. Parking is easy and next to a picnic area which is great for the "apres-walk" treat.

Anyone in reasonable shape can and should do this trail. Absolutely beautiful, varied woodlands, waterfalls, and gradual ascents and descents.

This trail was so pretty! There are several waterfalls to see. The trail is well maintained and marked. We did end up going to the top of the Pinnacle Knob trail, probably an extra mile there and another mile down, which was COMPLETELY worth the struggle to the top.

Perfect hike!

We started the trail from Warwoman Dell. There were a few downed trees across the trail but well marked with yellow blazes. The hike up to the knob was not easy but doable. On the way back though - hello! That’s when this 45 year old chubbster started going downhill. Literally and figuratively. :) The hike was gorgeous. Lots of water crossings but bridges are in place so no wet feet to speak of. The 2 mile point is gorgeous and flat and perfect for a picnic and a day in the river. I went thru 2.5 liters of water as I was just shy of finishing the trail. We started at about 11:30 am and got back to the car around 5:15 pm. We didn’t take a break other than just a minute standing on the trail here and there. We spent about 30 minutes at the top. I clocked this trail at 9.9 miles round trip. I’ve never had such a mileage difference in the trail distance and my pedometer app. It felt like 9.9 miles. It was over 60 degrees on 1/21/18 and we were huffing and puffing and sweaty most of the time. Fantastic workout.

Definitely an amazing trail!
It can be strenuous at times, but I completed it after not having hiked in a while (took about 4 hours round trip with a slow pace) Definitely something that could be done by almost anyone (depending on how many breaks you take). Probably wouldn't take kids on this trail due to the fact that the trail was very narrow near steep drop-offs for a good ways. The view at the top was worth the hike and the many waterfalls/river we crossed on the way there were gorgeous.

This trail has it all - waterfalls, forest floors and a great vista!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

This is a really nice hike. It's actually over 8 miles and is moderate, not difficult in my opinion. It has a couple of nice waterfalls and a lovely place where you can hang out on the rocks and put your feet in the rushing water. The view at the top is a nice one. We went on a weekend and saw almost no one else. I highly recommend this hike!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I gave this trail a 3 ONLY because it kicked our tail! We didn't have the experience for this trail. We jumped on this trail north from Dick's Creek by accident actually. Meant to take a left turn to go to Dick's Creek Falls took a right instead which sent us on this trail. Had my family in tow carrying gear for two nights of camping, hiking, fishing. After two Miles we realized we were on the wrong trail, but kept going until we found water – which was two more miles later. This is a hard trail, for a family with three kids anyway. Some amazing scenic spots throughout the trail, as soon as we reached the Chattooga River we set up camp. Found a great campsite on the river that someone had built primitive benches, breathtaking spot! The river was amazing to cool off in. We were hoping to catch some trout… No luck, there was an endless supply of smaller bass. I will not take my family back out in this trail, nor will I do this with a 85 Liter pack loaded. I definitely recommend this trail for experienced hikers. Did not see any hikers for the three days that we were out there, a group of kayakers floated by once.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Recent rain made both falls really full and noisy. It is all uphill from the Dell to the Knob but never so steep to get you out of breath.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Great trail. Not many mountain views in the spring but the beauty of this Forest is remarkable. Found many edible flora and mushrooms. Great place for a survival hike. Many deep rock crevasse to take shelter under in case of rain. Waterfalls were bliss. We went on a rainy day so no one was on the trail. The dogs loved it. The trail never got to steep but a nice climb. Awesome day !!!!!!!

Friday, May 19, 2017

spectacular

Sunday, March 19, 2017

One of my favorites in GA. Lots of different sections, challenging but not killer hard. Some great campsites along the way. Beautiful creek and falls

Monday, October 24, 2016

Hiked from Warwoman Dell Rec area trailhead. GORGEOUS trail. 3 Spectacular Waterfalls. Very few people. Highly recommend!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Good workout! Beautiful always!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The trail head is on the road so you have to park at the warwomen dell area and follow the yellow marked path that leads you across the street and to the trail. There is a small waterfall not too far in and then there is nothing but the path and woods (about 3 miles) until you reach another small waterfall and then the landing with a larger Waterfall. Not a bad hike and worth the waterfall if you are going to stay a while and enjoy it.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I completed this trail through a series of day hikes. Every outing was better than the last. It is a beautiful trail. It's a pretty easy hike at either end of the trail & pretty hilly in the middle, but mostly moderate. There are lots of access points to the trail if you know where to go. You can access the trail at these places starting from the north part of the trail and going south: Hale Ridge Road, Beegum Gap, Courthouse Gap, War Woman Dell, Sandy Ford Road, Earl's Ford Road, & Russell Bridge. There are also a few nice camping spots especially at Martin Falls and along the Chattooga River.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

did an out an back section of the trail in late spring, the trail was in great shape and has some sections that were pretty steep for the kids, but overall it was a very fun day.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I'd just like to second the fellow who advised to fill up on water. Even fresh after a rain water is pretty scarce.

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Can be strenuous but for the most part a pleasant hike. Whenever you see water go ahead and fill up. Some stretches of the trail don't have water for a while.