Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob

Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Clayton: There are three access points. 1) Take US Hwy. 411 north 1 mile past Dillard. Turn right onto GA 246 toward Highlands, NC. Continue on GA 246 and 106 for 7 miles, and turn right onto Bald Mountain Road. Continue 2.1 miles, and take County Road 7 for 1.1 miles. 2) Take Warwoman Road ( State Road 884) east from Clayton for 3 miles to the Warwoman Dell Recreation Area. 3) Take US Hwy. 28 toward Walhalla (east) to the bridge at the Georgia/South Carolina line. The parking area is on left of the bridge prior to crossing into South Carolina.

We started the trail from Warwoman Dell. There were a few downed trees across the trail but well marked with yellow blazes. The hike up to the knob was not easy but doable. On the way back though - hello! That’s when this 45 year old chubbster started going downhill. Literally and figuratively. :) The hike was gorgeous. Lots of water crossings but bridges are in place so no wet feet to speak of. The 2 mike point is gorgeous and flat and perfect for a picnic and a day in the river. I went thru 2.5 liters of water as I was just shy of finishing the trail. We started at about 11:30 am and got back to the car around 5:15 pm. We didn’t take a break other than just a minute standing on the trail here and there. We spent about 30 minutes at the top. I clocked this trail at 9.9 miles round trip. I’ve never had such a mileage difference in the trail distance and my pedometer app. It felt like 9.9 miles. It was over 60 degrees on 1/21/18 and we were huffing and puffing and sweaty most of the time. Fantastic workout.

Definitely an amazing trail!
It can be strenuous at times, but I completed it after not having hiked in a while (took about 4 hours round trip with a slow pace) Definitely something that could be done by almost anyone (depending on how many breaks you take). Probably wouldn't take kids on this trail due to the fact that the trail was very narrow near steep drop-offs for a good ways. The view at the top was worth the hike and the many waterfalls/river we crossed on the way there were gorgeous.

This trail has it all - waterfalls, forest floors and a great vista!

This is a really nice hike. It's actually over 8 miles and is moderate, not difficult in my opinion. It has a couple of nice waterfalls and a lovely place where you can hang out on the rocks and put your feet in the rushing water. The view at the top is a nice one. We went on a weekend and saw almost no one else. I highly recommend this hike!

I gave this trail a 3 ONLY because it kicked our tail! We didn't have the experience for this trail. We jumped on this trail north from Dick's Creek by accident actually. Meant to take a left turn to go to Dick's Creek Falls took a right instead which sent us on this trail. Had my family in tow carrying gear for two nights of camping, hiking, fishing. After two Miles we realized we were on the wrong trail, but kept going until we found water – which was two more miles later. This is a hard trail, for a family with three kids anyway. Some amazing scenic spots throughout the trail, as soon as we reached the Chattooga River we set up camp. Found a great campsite on the river that someone had built primitive benches, breathtaking spot! The river was amazing to cool off in. We were hoping to catch some trout… No luck, there was an endless supply of smaller bass. I will not take my family back out in this trail, nor will I do this with a 85 Liter pack loaded. I definitely recommend this trail for experienced hikers. Did not see any hikers for the three days that we were out there, a group of kayakers floated by once.

Recent rain made both falls really full and noisy. It is all uphill from the Dell to the Knob but never so steep to get you out of breath.

Great trail. Not many mountain views in the spring but the beauty of this Forest is remarkable. Found many edible flora and mushrooms. Great place for a survival hike. Many deep rock crevasse to take shelter under in case of rain. Waterfalls were bliss. We went on a rainy day so no one was on the trail. The dogs loved it. The trail never got to steep but a nice climb. Awesome day !!!!!!!

spectacular

One of my favorites in GA. Lots of different sections, challenging but not killer hard. Some great campsites along the way. Beautiful creek and falls

Monday, October 24, 2016

Hiked from Warwoman Dell Rec area trailhead. GORGEOUS trail. 3 Spectacular Waterfalls. Very few people. Highly recommend!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Good workout! Beautiful always!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The trail head is on the road so you have to park at the warwomen dell area and follow the yellow marked path that leads you across the street and to the trail. There is a small waterfall not too far in and then there is nothing but the path and woods (about 3 miles) until you reach another small waterfall and then the landing with a larger Waterfall. Not a bad hike and worth the waterfall if you are going to stay a while and enjoy it.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I completed this trail through a series of day hikes. Every outing was better than the last. It is a beautiful trail. It's a pretty easy hike at either end of the trail & pretty hilly in the middle, but mostly moderate. There are lots of access points to the trail if you know where to go. You can access the trail at these places starting from the north part of the trail and going south: Hale Ridge Road, Beegum Gap, Courthouse Gap, War Woman Dell, Sandy Ford Road, Earl's Ford Road, & Russell Bridge. There are also a few nice camping spots especially at Martin Falls and along the Chattooga River.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

did an out an back section of the trail in late spring, the trail was in great shape and has some sections that were pretty steep for the kids, but overall it was a very fun day.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I'd just like to second the fellow who advised to fill up on water. Even fresh after a rain water is pretty scarce.

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Can be strenuous but for the most part a pleasant hike. Whenever you see water go ahead and fill up. Some stretches of the trail don't have water for a while.