Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob

Bartram Trail to Pinnacle Knob is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Clayton: There are three access points. 1) Take US Hwy. 411 north 1 mile past Dillard. Turn right onto GA 246 toward Highlands, NC. Continue on GA 246 and 106 for 7 miles, and turn right onto Bald Mountain Road. Continue 2.1 miles, and take County Road 7 for 1.1 miles. 2) Take Warwoman Road ( State Road 884) east from Clayton for 3 miles to the Warwoman Dell Recreation Area. 3) Take US Hwy. 28 toward Walhalla (east) to the bridge at the Georgia/South Carolina line. The parking area is on left of the bridge prior to crossing into South Carolina.

This is a really nice hike. It's actually over 8 miles and is moderate, not difficult in my opinion. It has a couple of nice waterfalls and a lovely place where you can hang out on the rocks and put your feet in the rushing water. The view at the top is a nice one. We went on a weekend and saw almost no one else. I highly recommend this hike!

I gave this trail a 3 ONLY because it kicked our tail! We didn't have the experience for this trail. We jumped on this trail north from Dick's Creek by accident actually. Meant to take a left turn to go to Dick's Creek Falls took a right instead which sent us on this trail. Had my family in tow carrying gear for two nights of camping, hiking, fishing. After two Miles we realized we were on the wrong trail, but kept going until we found water – which was two more miles later. This is a hard trail, for a family with three kids anyway. Some amazing scenic spots throughout the trail, as soon as we reached the Chattooga River we set up camp. Found a great campsite on the river that someone had built primitive benches, breathtaking spot! The river was amazing to cool off in. We were hoping to catch some trout… No luck, there was an endless supply of smaller bass. I will not take my family back out in this trail, nor will I do this with a 85 Liter pack loaded. I definitely recommend this trail for experienced hikers. Did not see any hikers for the three days that we were out there, a group of kayakers floated by once.

Recent rain made both falls really full and noisy. It is all uphill from the Dell to the Knob but never so steep to get you out of breath.

Great trail. Not many mountain views in the spring but the beauty of this Forest is remarkable. Found many edible flora and mushrooms. Great place for a survival hike. Many deep rock crevasse to take shelter under in case of rain. Waterfalls were bliss. We went on a rainy day so no one was on the trail. The dogs loved it. The trail never got to steep but a nice climb. Awesome day !!!!!!!

spectacular

One of my favorites in GA. Lots of different sections, challenging but not killer hard. Some great campsites along the way. Beautiful creek and falls

Hiked from Warwoman Dell Rec area trailhead. GORGEOUS trail. 3 Spectacular Waterfalls. Very few people. Highly recommend!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Good workout! Beautiful always!

Friday, July 01, 2016