Bartram and River Loop Trail

Bartram and River Loop Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Macon, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

wheelchair friendly

I have this trail 5 stars primarily because it is the best maintained trail system in the Macon area and it allows me to cover a lot of distance without hiking the same trail multiple times. I use this trail system to work on my hiking distance and speed. I highly recommend this trail for people like myself who are training for multi-day thru-hikes. Great place to cover some miles and test out your gear.

Great park and trails. Was able to complete 4.5 miles within the confines of the park. Such an important and sobering National Historic Monument. Please be careful, though, as we came across two large rattlesnakes while hiking to McDougal Mound.

Very nice, clean and safe to get some exercise. The trails are beautiful!!!!!!!

Great spot for a day hike on well maintained trails. I took the main trail to the grand temple mound, as well as the river trail, the loop trail, then took the Bertram trail back to the visitors center (about 3.7 miles). The river trails had two spots virtually underwater and numerous sections of mud, but it had been raining a lot recently. I wouldn't recommend white tennis shoes for that portion of the trail. In addition to the historic sites, numerous bird sightings, turtles, skinks, and a snake near the river. Good views of downtown Macon from the top of the temple mound. Will hopefully go back to take some of the other trails to different mounds. FYI - dogs are welcomed at the park, but please clean up after them.

Very easy trail and interesting artifacts in the lodges. A little short and is accessable for wheel chair folks.

An easy trail if you don't walk up the mound. Once you walk over the bridge that crosses the railroad turn right and head down into the gully. There is some wetland there with tree birds of birds. Once you walk out of the shelter of the trees you will be back on the road. Walk up to the mounds or skirt around and take the trail that loops around the swamp. When we there we saw herons and other birds as well as an abundance of turtles. This trail will also branch off to a trail that takes you to the Ocmulgee River. We have not taken that trail yet. If you stay on the loop trail it will eventually you lead you back to the parking lot at the visitors center.