Backcountry Trail Loop

Backcountry Trail Loop is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Louvale, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My boyfriend and I did this trail today. Entered the park around 8 am, started hiking around 830. Finished in 3 1/2 hours. Be prepared to encounter ALOT of spiders and their webs. Especially if you are the first hikers that day. Trail is very swampy at the beginning. It does dry out the further you go down the trail. Trail maintenance could be done in a few spots due to some down trees and tall grass. It wasnt marked so well at the beginning but as you continued it was spot on. We did use the All Trails map as a reference guide. This trail is nothing glamorous. Very woodsy and has rough spots. But The view of the canyons at the end is the best part! Overall, this was a great hike!

The Backcountry Loop is essentially a swampy trail through the middle of a patch of Georgia woods. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's also nothing particularly exciting about that. The trail is good exercise.

Hiked it for the first time this morning with my dog. The wash right at the beginning was absolutely beautiful and so peaceful in the morning. There were a few strenuous inclines - nothing I couldn't walk up unaided but enough to get the heart pumping. We started the trail at 9am and finished at 11:30 (on a Friday). We didn't see a single other hiker but two of the camp sites were occupied.

If you want to see much of the canyons themselves, definitely plan to hike one of the other trails as canyon views were sparse, and had a lot of tree cover at that.

For anyone else with a smartwatch, just a heads-up that the park and this trail are extremely close to the line between Eastern and Central time. A number of times my watch flipped between time zones (presumably based on what cell tower was closest), which left me momentarily confused when I started the trail at 9am, then checked my watch and saw that it was 8:30...

A sweat breaker but worth it. The dogs loved the long swatches of sand and water. Definitely bring plenty to drink, both for you and dogs. As with most hikes, early means less traffic. By the time we came off we were passing folks every ten minutes.
Highly recommend the brewery especially on a Saturday hike-there are food trucks there sometimes more than one.

Brutal in the summer heat!

Little Gem that is wonderful to hike and also enjoy an evening camp. There is a brewery near by called Omaha brewing you should stop and snag a brew before or after the hike. Or both.

As a scout leader this is one of my favorite trips for a quick overnight backpacking trip. Fairly easy with only a few smaller inclines, We went clockwise from the ranger station and camped at backcountry site # 6, although #5 is my favorite site on the loop. I like to hike clockwise as the last 1/2 to 1-mile of the backcountry loop follows the stream and if the water is a little higher you can get your feet wet. I would rather my feet wet final mile of the trek, rather than the start of the trek

Marked very well and was an easy hike. I was the only one on the trail. Said it was 7 miles and would take 4 hrs. I don’t think it was 7, more like 5 and I was done in 1-2 hours.

New to hiking. First “moderate” level hike my husband and I went on. And we loved it. Good scenery. All in all a great trip. Very peaceful. We went in late October. So the temperature was almost perfect. Not too hot not too cold. Definitely recommend. We were tired though, so warning to anyone else new to hiking.

you walk through a muddy river.... No one warned us so I am warning you. Bring boots

As others have stated, the trail is a little confusing at first as it is not clearly marked. Besides that all went well except the turn for the little jutting part of the trail is easy to miss.
Some of the signage seems oddly placed also.
Still, I enjoyed it. A few spots with some inclines that get your attention.

Monday, August 07, 2017

The trail starts out confusing as you start in a drainage area where blazes are far and few between; good news is the pathway is fairly obvious and well beaten. Primative campsites are available, the first campsite you come across has a standing shelter but the further you get on the trail the less likely you are to see trash and what not.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

beautiful hike, definitely moderate level. lots of long steep stretches. the blazes are sometimes very far apart and the signage can be confusing, but it's a beautiful hike through interesting territory.

Monday, June 26, 2017

As others have said, it doesn't get too scenic until the last couple miles which is also a part of the canyon loop trail. I suggest taking the short 3 mile loop if you just want to see the canyon, you won't miss anything if you don't take the red blaze trail.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Nice trail with some cool campsite along the way, but the great views only come towards the last couple miles and when it joins with the white blazed trail. They recommend 4 hours for the hike, but my out of shape self, while taking many breaks only took about 2.5-3 hours.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

back country trail is nice walk in the woods, most scenic part is along the canyon loop

recorded Backcountry Trail Loop