Augusta Canal Trail

Augusta Canal Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Augusta, Georgia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until December.

Beautiful wide path along the Augusta Canal and Savanah River

Great trails off main for mountain biking. I'll be back..

I love this trail, but it is a weekend hot spot, so expect crowds. During the week, it's less populated. I've never felt as though bicyclists were competing with walkers, but we always moved to the side to let them pass. I truly love the scenery along this area of the canal and river and appreciate the interpretive signs that have been placed since the area became a National Heritage Area. As noted from previous comments, this is not a hiking trail, and is very attainable for those just wanting to go for a nice, scenic walk with the family. If visiting, please take a moment to pause at Major Donahue's memorial.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

It was a nice scenic walk. It was more then 3.8 miles if you go out and back, more like 6+ miles. One negative was that we walked it on Saturday where there were a lot of people on the trail. There was also quite a bit of competitive, group bikers that were zipping up and down the trail. A couple times it felt as if they would bump into us as we were walking. We'd consider trying it again during the week days to see if the traffic was less.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Something for everyone. Walkers,runners (great shaded areas along the path), bikers (easy to moderate trails on and off the main path), kid friendly, rentals for bikes and kayaks, Porta potty's on the trail, great scenery, well maintained. Overall a great place to spend a couple hours to enjoy being outside.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

I would love to come back and complete this again by biking or kayaking..awesome scenery!

Sunday, May 17, 2015

The canal path, while pleasant, it is a pretty lame hiking trail. It is a vehicle service road which is primarily used by bikers, runners and other related activities. This is what I would consider a great running location due to the lack of obstacles and that it is primarily unpaved. For hiking you are not really in a forest, and not really a trail. If you are out for a light walk it is probably nice but someone looking to get a hike in I consider it very boring. There are other trails which I consider better hiking in the area.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Such a well kept trail! Very nice, wide paths great for biking and walking or running.
Peaceful, uncrowded atmosphere.
Come here after it rains to spot many different kinds of mushrooms all along the trail~!
We found a calvatia cyathiformis that we got to take home, have ID'd by a mycologist online, and then fry up with some butter and garlic. Mmmm. :)
The trail runs along the side of the river, and you can even rent single person canoes to go boating in.
Also, enjoy all of the snazzy looking rich-people houses as you find your way to the entrance. xD

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A fantastic wide walking or bike riding path along the river. Quiet, great views of the river. Loved it!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012