Arkaquah Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

partially paved

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 8 miles. Turn left (east) onto Georgia 180. Go 8 miles and turn left (north) onto Georgia 180 Spur. Follow this road 3 miles to the Brasstown Bald Visitor Center parking lot. Visitors should stop by the Brasstown Ranger District, or call 706-745-6928 for more information on these trails.

Hiked from Brasstown Bald to Trackrock Gap! Being a senior citizen (70) & “flatlander” (Louisiana), I thought I’d try the predominantly downhill trail first! Look forward to going back later in the fall for more great views! Other reviewers mentioned the tough “uphill” from Trackrock at the beginning, but it wasn’t a picnic for these tired old knees going downhill either! Very little water so better pack yours in! Definitely take hiking sticks! Lifesavers! 3 1/2 hours! Not bad for an old guy! Hike on!

Just a heads up: the trailhead is on the opposite side of the road from the parking lot. Don't make the mistake I made, and take the game trail in front of the parking lot.

Great trail even with all the leaves on the trees. That said, I plan to re-hike this great trail this winter. Started the hike from the Trailhead at Trackrock Gap. About the first 1.5 miles, I didn't find it brutal at all. It was a steady climb with a number of switch backs and never really leveled off until the ridgeline was gained. I'm not a particularly fast hiker and average just a little over 2mph including photo stops and short bushwhacks (like Locust Log Ridge and Chimneytop). As I write this, I am a couple weeks short of 64. Don't let some of the negative comments about the first 1.5 miles of the trail scare you away. It is a fantastic trail. Once I hit the Brasstown Bald parking lot (huge) I headed to the end and took Wolfpen Ridge Trail to the peak of Wolfpen Ridge (South) and a little beyond then I turned around and went back to the Brasstown Bald parking (the other end) and took the paved trail to the top. At the Visitor's Center (top of the mountain) I asked an attendant where the official top of the mountain was. She took me out to the breezeway between the Visitor Center and the Theater where she unlocked a door that had a stairway leading down (basement?) on the very top step she pointed to a USGS Benchmark. I took a picture of the BM and put my foot on it. Returning to the parking lot I used a two car shuttle to return to my parked car at Trackrock Gap. Great hike.

Brett below is right about the first 1.7 miles. It's a tough start! There are other uphill portions too, but none that difficult. Still, if you have enough water, it's doable. Some of the more level bits in the middle offer some through-the-trees views of other mountains, and other parts wind through classic Appalachian hollows. The "last" section (before you turn around) starts at the ranger station and has you walk up a steep paved path to the highest point in Georgia: Brasstown Bald. There should be some spectacular views if it isn't hazy. That portion is accessible by car, and so you'll be joined by some more casual hikers. There's also a visitor center up there.

Trail is dog friendly, although there is no water except the fountains and vending at the ranger station.

A friend and I came to the area to hike Neels Gap to Blood Mountain but the weather was horrible and she wasn't too comfortable doing that much elevation in the pouring rain.
We opted for this trail instead. It was October so there was still enough leaves to canopy us some from the pouring rain. It was quite lovely. The trail is really interesting but it was quite slippery in places due to all the rocks.
We intend on revisiting this entire area in the near future and revisiting this trail and the ones we missed.

Straight up climb. Great exercise! Even better views! :)

This hike is incredible to say the least. The first 1.7 miles are absolutely brutal, but once you get on the first ridge it's completely worth every minute of your pain and suffering. This is one of those hikes that reminds you of all the good and bad. If your young and in top notch shape, there is no bad. If you're not up to one heck of a challenge then don't even attempt this trail. Blood Mountain and Yonah Mountain are a walk in the park compared to this but well worth it if you have it in you. To say it's tough is a understatement, but the terrain along the way and the views cancel out everything else.

Beautiful hike, first two miles can be a pretty unforgiving incline, but once you start to make elevation is really pays off with beautiful views. My dog however, came back with over 30 ticks! Recommended, but check for ticks when you get home!

This is an awesome hike, especially in the spring before the trees fill with leaves. My husband and I were able to see the mountains and the valleys well. It is definitely a good idea to start this hike at Track Rock Gap as opposed to starting at Brasstown Bald. The most difficult part of the hike is the first 1-1.5 miles staring from Track Rock Gap. This section is pretty much a steep uphill climb. It was nice to get this over with. In reading other posts I was confused. It sounded like the archeological site was part of the trail. It is not. It is a separate trail across the highway from the start of the actual trail. The trailhead for the Arkequah Is very clearly marked on one side of the highway and the archeological trail is very clearly marked on the other. Also, the Arkequah is 5.5 miles each way. When you get to the end of the trail(at a parking lot with restrooms and a ranger station) , you still have to hike the Summit Trail for 0.6 mile to get to the observation tower. This may be why some folks came up with distances other than 11 miles. The total is 12.2 miles if you do the Arkequah and the Summit Trail. I’m not sure how much distance is added if you do the archeological trail too. With that said, the hike is strenuous even if you are used to hiking long distances, but the views along the way and at the summit are so worth it. Total hike time was 5 hours and 19 minutes.

My husband and I had been wanting to conquer this hike for months now, just waiting for the warmer weather to arrive. We started at Track Rock Gap, first two miles are brutal, after that you can catch glimpses of the tower at Brasstown., which seemed to be much farther than 3 miles away from that point. We still pushed forward. At times, we doubted if we could make it, but we did!! It took us 3.5 hours to arrive at visitors center where we rested for an hour. The return trip took 2.5 hours, much easier going back. I recommend starting at Trackrock Gap and getting the hardest part done first, and start early as you can. The views are great once you get to the ridge line. The trail has no blazes, but very easy to follow. There are a few rocky areas that made it somewhat treacherous, take your time. All in all, it was a great hike and I am glad we can say we conquered this one!

Great hike. Dog friendly and absolutely beautiful. The trail isn’t very crowded and offers varying vegetation. The climb up from Track Rock Gap and back down is brutal, but the rest is fairly moderate. We took a break for lunch at the top of Brasstown Bald and the trek took us about 5.5 hours round trip. We are not very experienced hikers and were able to navigate it just fine.

This is an amazing yet very challenging trail. I can’t believe it’s 11 miles. We tracked it at 16.5 and it took us about 9 hours to complete. The view was well worth it. It’s beautiful at the top of Brasstown Bald.

This definitely was a tough one for a day hike. Legs completely sore the day after, but extremely worth it. Most of the trail going up you’re surrounded by dense forests and will be going through many switchbacks. Once you get closer to the parking area at the top, the trail gets milder and easier. The parking area is a great location to refuel and buy snacks if needed. Then the last half mile is on a paved path to the top. The observation tower at the top was quite unique and views were amazing as you can see for miles in all directions. You are clearly able to tell you are at the tallest point in Georgia here. The path is very easy follow and relatively straightforward. Took a little less than 7 hours to complete. Definitely recommend, but be aware of a difficult and exhausting hike.

I tried my bet to run the whole thing but that is sort of out of the question. This trail beats you up if you are not adequately prepared. Ultra sick trail though. It's really cool how you can see the tower at the top when you are still miles from it.

While it was an amazing experience with AMAZING views, this trail is not for the faint of heart.

My friend and I decided to challenge ourselves for the start of 2018 by hiking of one the hardest hikes in North Georgia on one of the coldest day of the season. We went into the challenge with 11-12 miles in mind but somehow or another ended up tracking 15.6 miles spanning a total of 9 hours (we stopped multiple times to take pictures).

Boy, was I glad that I bought the hiking poles the day before because I don't think I could have made it all the way had I attempted the trail without. The impact on my knees were drastically reduced purely because I had support. Please bring a lot of water and snacks since the trail feels a lot longer than expected if you're hiking from Track Rock Gap Road. This is a great trail to train on if you're planning to do the Appalachian Trail.

Great views from Brasstown Bald parking lot easy if you go out one and half to two miles and back. Beyond 2 miles moderate to hard.

great trail. favorite.

Great trail in winter. Beautiful and low traffic. So much fun doing 12 miles!

This trail was amazing. Hiked it from the bottom (Track Rock Gap Road) to the summit of Brasstown Bald today. Five of us left at 715 am (three killer hiker kids age 8, 10, and 13, and two adults) and summit 1045 am. Stopped for about an hour and then headed back down the mountain. Back to car about 3 pm. First two miles are very stout inclines of grueling switchbacks. It was an amazing and challenging hike. We would do this one again for sure. Not for the out of shape!

I attempted this trail almost 2 years ago with a 30 lb pack, and tried it again yesterday, still not making it all the way. Make no mistake, this trail is tough! Right now the views are awesome, and are worth the knee pain! Do yourself a favor, and bring trekking poles...I was glad I had mine!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Not a trail for the beginner. My wife, 8 yr old son and myself started at track rock gap rd. 4 hours later we make to Brasstown Bald. Gift shop and supplies at the top. We were so tired we tried to locate an Uber to take us back around to the truck.
My phone said no cars available:/ so we grabbed a few supplies and started back down the mountain.
Trip back was much faster, but killer on our knees and our thighs felt like rubber.
7 hour total trip!
I'd split this trip into a two day, hike in, camp, hike out.
There were some pretty awesome camp spots along the trail.
They should give you a t-shirt for hiking this trail:)
All in all, it was a great time!
#arkakua

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Started at Trackrock Gap Road and headed east, some really tough switchbacks in the beginning and I'm a seasoned hiker. Some great views along the way and had the trail entirely to myself. Coming back was easier but going back down the switchbacks was slightly rough on the knees.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hiked up from track rock gap. First 1.5 miles up was extremely tough, unrelenting steep incline. After reaching the ridge, you’ve got mountains on both sides, though views are generally obstructed due to trees. From here out, hike was moderate to difficult but definitely beautiful. We made the extra hike up to Brasstown Bald and were rewarded with clear, exceptional views. A tough hike, but well worth it!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

After walking up to the summit of Brasstown Bald my husband dropped me off for a downhill walk to Track Rock Gap Road where he picked me up. I had the trail to my self. There are many rock outcropping and the trees and understory plants change as you drop in elevation. It is a moderately easy hike down but I could tell the reverse would be strenuous. Beautiful.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Hard but great!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Great hike! Slightly steep at times but a great workout.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Very tough trail. Only 6 cars can park at very bottom. This trail will spank you!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Gnarly hike. Killer climbs killer views. Be sure to pace yourself. No water the whole way up so bring your own water!!!! A for real hard hike. I have hiked all over the state of Georgia and this is probably one of the hardest if not the hardest in Georgia. And it can totally be done in one day. No overnight necessary.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

If you are looking for an intense hike/workout this one is for you. The first 5.5 miles is 70% uphill. This hike was a challenge and I am definitely glad I did it. Parking was limited. The trail head is across the street from the parking area.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Glad we did this trail. We started at bottom of mountain and hiked to Brasstown Bald and back. Happy we did the up hill first. Beautiful trail with mountain laurel and rodedendreum blooming through out. Great hike and awesome trail, Definitely hard.