Arkaquah Trail

Arkaquah Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 8 miles. Turn left (east) onto Georgia 180. Go 8 miles and turn left (north) onto Georgia 180 Spur. Follow this road 3 miles to the Brasstown Bald Visitor Center parking lot. Visitors should stop by the Brasstown Ranger District, or call 706-745-6928 for more information on these trails.

This hike is incredible to say the least. The first 1.7 miles are absolutely brutal, but once you get on the first ridge it's completely worth every minute of your pain and suffering. This is one of those hikes that reminds you of all the good and bad. If your young and in top notch shape, there is no bad. If you're not up to one heck of a challenge then don't even attempt this trail. Blood Mountain and Yonah Mountain are a walk in the park compared to this but well worth it if you have it in you. To say it's tough is a understatement, but the terrain along the way and the views cancel out everything else.

Beautiful hike, first two miles can be a pretty unforgiving incline, but once you start to make elevation is really pays off with beautiful views. My dog however, came back with over 30 ticks! Recommended, but check for ticks when you get home!

This is an awesome hike, especially in the spring before the trees fill with leaves. My husband and I were able to see the mountains and the valleys well. It is definitely a good idea to start this hike at Track Rock Gap as opposed to starting at Brasstown Bald. The most difficult part of the hike is the first 1-1.5 miles staring from Track Rock Gap. This section is pretty much a steep uphill climb. It was nice to get this over with. In reading other posts I was confused. It sounded like the archeological site was part of the trail. It is not. It is a separate trail across the highway from the start of the actual trail. The trailhead for the Arkequah Is very clearly marked on one side of the highway and the archeological trail is very clearly marked on the other. Also, the Arkequah is 5.5 miles each way. When you get to the end of the trail(at a parking lot with restrooms and a ranger station) , you still have to hike the Summit Trail for 0.6 mile to get to the observation tower. This may be why some folks came up with distances other than 11 miles. The total is 12.2 miles if you do the Arkequah and the Summit Trail. I’m not sure how much distance is added if you do the archeological trail too. With that said, the hike is strenuous even if you are used to hiking long distances, but the views along the way and at the summit are so worth it. Total hike time was 5 hours and 19 minutes.

My husband and I had been wanting to conquer this hike for months now, just waiting for the warmer weather to arrive. We started at Track Rock Gap, first two miles are brutal, after that you can catch glimpses of the tower at Brasstown., which seemed to be much farther than 3 miles away from that point. We still pushed forward. At times, we doubted if we could make it, but we did!! It took us 3.5 hours to arrive at visitors center where we rested for an hour. The return trip took 2.5 hours, much easier going back. I recommend starting at Trackrock Gap and getting the hardest part done first, and start early as you can. The views are great once you get to the ridge line. The trail has no blazes, but very easy to follow. There are a few rocky areas that made it somewhat treacherous, take your time. All in all, it was a great hike and I am glad we can say we conquered this one!

Great hike. Dog friendly and absolutely beautiful. The trail isn’t very crowded and offers varying vegetation. The climb up from Track Rock Gap and back down is brutal, but the rest is fairly moderate. We took a break for lunch at the top of Brasstown Bald and the trek took us about 5.5 hours round trip. We are not very experienced hikers and were able to navigate it just fine.

This is an amazing yet very challenging trail. I can’t believe it’s 11 miles. We tracked it at 16.5 and it took us about 9 hours to complete. The view was well worth it. It’s beautiful at the top of Brasstown Bald.

This definitely was a tough one for a day hike. Legs completely sore the day after, but extremely worth it. Most of the trail going up you’re surrounded by dense forests and will be going through many switchbacks. Once you get closer to the parking area at the top, the trail gets milder and easier. The parking area is a great location to refuel and buy snacks if needed. Then the last half mile is on a paved path to the top. The observation tower at the top was quite unique and views were amazing as you can see for miles in all directions. You are clearly able to tell you are at the tallest point in Georgia here. The path is very easy follow and relatively straightforward. Took a little less than 7 hours to complete. Definitely recommend, but be aware of a difficult and exhausting hike.

Good hike and beautiful views with snow still on the mountain. Hiking boots a must and walking stick would be helpful if it’s winter! BUT, do not.. repeat.. do not go down the switchbacks to the “archaeological site”. First off, most excruciating, muddy path ever. My two friends and I were dying and we are avid hikers. Second, the “archeological site” is 5 rocks that are stupid and not worth it. Supposedly has Native American carvings, and nothing amazing was seen. Stop at the peak and enjoy that! It’d recommend the hike up to that point! If you have enough energy you can even do the 1.1 Brasstown Bald hike too.

I tried my bet to run the whole thing but that is sort of out of the question. This trail beats you up if you are not adequately prepared. Ultra sick trail though. It's really cool how you can see the tower at the top when you are still miles from it.

While it was an amazing experience with AMAZING views, this trail is not for the faint of heart.

My friend and I decided to challenge ourselves for the start of 2018 by hiking of one the hardest hikes in North Georgia on one of the coldest day of the season. We went into the challenge with 11-12 miles in mind but somehow or another ended up tracking 15.6 miles spanning a total of 9 hours (we stopped multiple times to take pictures).

Boy, was I glad that I bought the hiking poles the day before because I don't think I could have made it all the way had I attempted the trail without. The impact on my knees were drastically reduced purely because I had support. Please bring a lot of water and snacks since the trail feels a lot longer than expected if you're hiking from Track Rock Gap Road. This is a great trail to train on if you're planning to do the Appalachian Trail.

Great views from Brasstown Bald parking lot easy if you go out one and half to two miles and back. Beyond 2 miles moderate to hard.

great trail. favorite.

Great trail in winter. Beautiful and low traffic. So much fun doing 12 miles!

This trail was amazing. Hiked it from the bottom (Track Rock Gap Road) to the summit of Brasstown Bald today. Five of us left at 715 am (three killer hiker kids age 8, 10, and 13, and two adults) and summit 1045 am. Stopped for about an hour and then headed back down the mountain. Back to car about 3 pm. First two miles are very stout inclines of grueling switchbacks. It was an amazing and challenging hike. We would do this one again for sure. Not for the out of shape!

I attempted this trail almost 2 years ago with a 30 lb pack, and tried it again yesterday, still not making it all the way. Make no mistake, this trail is tough! Right now the views are awesome, and are worth the knee pain! Do yourself a favor, and bring trekking poles...I was glad I had mine!

Not a trail for the beginner. My wife, 8 yr old son and myself started at track rock gap rd. 4 hours later we make to Brasstown Bald. Gift shop and supplies at the top. We were so tired we tried to locate an Uber to take us back around to the truck.
My phone said no cars available:/ so we grabbed a few supplies and started back down the mountain.
Trip back was much faster, but killer on our knees and our thighs felt like rubber.
7 hour total trip!
I'd split this trip into a two day, hike in, camp, hike out.
There were some pretty awesome camp spots along the trail.
They should give you a t-shirt for hiking this trail:)
All in all, it was a great time!
#arkakua

Started at Trackrock Gap Road and headed east, some really tough switchbacks in the beginning and I'm a seasoned hiker. Some great views along the way and had the trail entirely to myself. Coming back was easier but going back down the switchbacks was slightly rough on the knees.

Hiked up from track rock gap. First 1.5 miles up was extremely tough, unrelenting steep incline. After reaching the ridge, you’ve got mountains on both sides, though views are generally obstructed due to trees. From here out, hike was moderate to difficult but definitely beautiful. We made the extra hike up to Brasstown Bald and were rewarded with clear, exceptional views. A tough hike, but well worth it!

After walking up to the summit of Brasstown Bald my husband dropped me off for a downhill walk to Track Rock Gap Road where he picked me up. I had the trail to my self. There are many rock outcropping and the trees and understory plants change as you drop in elevation. It is a moderately easy hike down but I could tell the reverse would be strenuous. Beautiful.

Hard but great!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Great hike! Slightly steep at times but a great workout.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Very tough trail. Only 6 cars can park at very bottom. This trail will spank you!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Gnarly hike. Killer climbs killer views. Be sure to pace yourself. No water the whole way up so bring your own water!!!! A for real hard hike. I have hiked all over the state of Georgia and this is probably one of the hardest if not the hardest in Georgia. And it can totally be done in one day. No overnight necessary.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

If you are looking for an intense hike/workout this one is for you. The first 5.5 miles is 70% uphill. This hike was a challenge and I am definitely glad I did it. Parking was limited. The trail head is across the street from the parking area.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Glad we did this trail. We started at bottom of mountain and hiked to Brasstown Bald and back. Happy we did the up hill first. Beautiful trail with mountain laurel and rodedendreum blooming through out. Great hike and awesome trail, Definitely hard.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

I am glad to have this off my list, I'm not sure I'll repeat it. great views at the summit but man what a butt burner. I do have some great pics of the many different wildflowers. definitely a rating of hard from me.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Definitely more difficult than moderate, especially after a rain. The trail is easy to follow even though it isn't really marked. Take plenty of water and some snacks!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

This trail is rated as moderate. I can only imagine that's if you leave out from Brasstown Bald walking mostly downhill to Track Rock and then take an Uber back to your car. If you leave from Track Rock to Brasstown or vice versa, AND BACK, this is most definitely hard. Zero views at Brasstown it was completely fogged in, about a third of the way back the skies finally cleared. The hike up to Buzzards Roost is a beast and for the most part heading uphill the entire way to Brasstown. It took me just over 6.5 hours and I loved every minute. I'll be back on a clearer day.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Hiked to the top, beautiful as well as a hard slog to the top. Worth the trip!
Look for the trail by walking left out of parking and trail start is on the right up the hill approx hundred feet. Not well marked.

Monday, April 25, 2016

This trail is easy if you park at Brasstown Mt. parking lot and go down. It is not an easy hike starting at Track Rock Rd. to the Brasstown Mt. parking lot so do you research.

My son (16 yrs) hiked down, then back up to the Brasstown Bald parking lot. Make sure you have enough water for a round trip hike, the streams are very few in spring and none during summer months. Self sufficient or stash some water at Track Rock road terminus for your return up.