Arkaquah Trail

Arkaquah Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 8 miles. Turn left (east) onto Georgia 180. Go 8 miles and turn left (north) onto Georgia 180 Spur. Follow this road 3 miles to the Brasstown Bald Visitor Center parking lot. Visitors should stop by the Brasstown Ranger District, or call 706-745-6928 for more information on these trails.

Good hike and beautiful views with snow still on the mountain. Hiking boots a must and walking stick would be helpful if it’s winter! BUT, do not.. repeat.. do not go down the switchbacks to the “archaeological site”. First off, most excruciating, muddy path ever. My two friends and I were dying and we are avid hikers. Second, the “archeological site” is 5 rocks that are stupid and not worth it. Supposedly has Native American carvings, and nothing amazing was seen. Stop at the peak and enjoy that! It’d recommend the hike up to that point! If you have enough energy you can even do the 1.1 Brasstown Bald hike too.

I tried my bet to run the whole thing but that is sort of out of the question. This trail beats you up if you are not adequately prepared. Ultra sick trail though. It's really cool how you can see the tower at the top when you are still miles from it.

While it was an amazing experience with AMAZING views, this trail is not for the faint of heart.

My friend and I decided to challenge ourselves for the start of 2018 by hiking of one the hardest hikes in North Georgia on one of the coldest day of the season. We went into the challenge with 11-12 miles in mind but somehow or another ended up tracking 15.6 miles spanning a total of 9 hours (we stopped multiple times to take pictures).

Boy, was I glad that I bought the hiking poles the day before because I don't think I could have made it all the way had I attempted the trail without. The impact on my knees were drastically reduced purely because I had support. Please bring a lot of water and snacks since the trail feels a lot longer than expected if you're hiking from Track Rock Gap Road. This is a great trail to train on if you're planning to do the Appalachian Trail.

Great views from Brasstown Bald parking lot easy if you go out one and half to two miles and back. Beyond 2 miles moderate to hard.

great trail. favorite.

Great trail in winter. Beautiful and low traffic. So much fun doing 12 miles!

This trail was amazing. Hiked it from the bottom (Track Rock Gap Road) to the summit of Brasstown Bald today. Five of us left at 715 am (three killer hiker kids age 8, 10, and 13, and two adults) and summit 1045 am. Stopped for about an hour and then headed back down the mountain. Back to car about 3 pm. First two miles are very stout inclines of grueling switchbacks. It was an amazing and challenging hike. We would do this one again for sure. Not for the out of shape!

I attempted this trail almost 2 years ago with a 30 lb pack, and tried it again yesterday, still not making it all the way. Make no mistake, this trail is tough! Right now the views are awesome, and are worth the knee pain! Do yourself a favor, and bring trekking poles...I was glad I had mine!

Not a trail for the beginner. My wife, 8 yr old son and myself started at track rock gap rd. 4 hours later we make to Brasstown Bald. Gift shop and supplies at the top. We were so tired we tried to locate an Uber to take us back around to the truck.
My phone said no cars available:/ so we grabbed a few supplies and started back down the mountain.
Trip back was much faster, but killer on our knees and our thighs felt like rubber.
7 hour total trip!
I'd split this trip into a two day, hike in, camp, hike out.
There were some pretty awesome camp spots along the trail.
They should give you a t-shirt for hiking this trail:)
All in all, it was a great time!
#arkakua

Started at Trackrock Gap Road and headed east, some really tough switchbacks in the beginning and I'm a seasoned hiker. Some great views along the way and had the trail entirely to myself. Coming back was easier but going back down the switchbacks was slightly rough on the knees.

Hiked up from track rock gap. First 1.5 miles up was extremely tough, unrelenting steep incline. After reaching the ridge, you’ve got mountains on both sides, though views are generally obstructed due to trees. From here out, hike was moderate to difficult but definitely beautiful. We made the extra hike up to Brasstown Bald and were rewarded with clear, exceptional views. A tough hike, but well worth it!

After walking up to the summit of Brasstown Bald my husband dropped me off for a downhill walk to Track Rock Gap Road where he picked me up. I had the trail to my self. There are many rock outcropping and the trees and understory plants change as you drop in elevation. It is a moderately easy hike down but I could tell the reverse would be strenuous. Beautiful.

Hard but great!

Great hike! Slightly steep at times but a great workout.

Very tough trail. Only 6 cars can park at very bottom. This trail will spank you!

Gnarly hike. Killer climbs killer views. Be sure to pace yourself. No water the whole way up so bring your own water!!!! A for real hard hike. I have hiked all over the state of Georgia and this is probably one of the hardest if not the hardest in Georgia. And it can totally be done in one day. No overnight necessary.

If you are looking for an intense hike/workout this one is for you. The first 5.5 miles is 70% uphill. This hike was a challenge and I am definitely glad I did it. Parking was limited. The trail head is across the street from the parking area.

Glad we did this trail. We started at bottom of mountain and hiked to Brasstown Bald and back. Happy we did the up hill first. Beautiful trail with mountain laurel and rodedendreum blooming through out. Great hike and awesome trail, Definitely hard.

I am glad to have this off my list, I'm not sure I'll repeat it. great views at the summit but man what a butt burner. I do have some great pics of the many different wildflowers. definitely a rating of hard from me.

Definitely more difficult than moderate, especially after a rain. The trail is easy to follow even though it isn't really marked. Take plenty of water and some snacks!