Arkaquah Trail

Arkaquah Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south from Blairsville for 8 miles. Turn left (east) onto Georgia 180. Go 8 miles and turn left (north) onto Georgia 180 Spur. Follow this road 3 miles to the Brasstown Bald Visitor Center parking lot. Visitors should stop by the Brasstown Ranger District, or call 706-745-6928 for more information on these trails.

This trail is rated as moderate. I can only imagine that's if you leave out from Brasstown Bald walking mostly downhill to Track Rock and then take an Uber back to your car. If you leave from Track Rock to Brasstown or vice versa, AND BACK, this is most definitely hard. Zero views at Brasstown it was completely fogged in, about a third of the way back the skies finally cleared. The hike up to Buzzards Roost is a beast and for the most part heading uphill the entire way to Brasstown. It took me just over 6.5 hours and I loved every minute. I'll be back on a clearer day.

Hiked to the top, beautiful as well as a hard slog to the top. Worth the trip!
Look for the trail by walking left out of parking and trail start is on the right up the hill approx hundred feet. Not well marked.

This trail is easy if you park at Brasstown Mt. parking lot and go down. It is not an easy hike starting at Track Rock Rd. to the Brasstown Mt. parking lot so do you research.

My son (16 yrs) hiked down, then back up to the Brasstown Bald parking lot. Make sure you have enough water for a round trip hike, the streams are very few in spring and none during summer months. Self sufficient or stash some water at Track Rock road terminus for your return up.

I have been looking for a challenge. I have been on several hikes in GA and AL along with my daughters ages 6 and 8. The last major hike we did was Cheaha Mountain which is the highest point in AL. So naturally we wanted to also take on the largest mountain in GA. This was significantly more difficult. Great views but I anticipated the trail being 5.5 miles from Track Rock.This is not to the summit this is just to the park plus their is a small walk to the trail head its self. My GPS read almost 8 miles by the time we hit the summit, this was probably partially due to exploring but either way expect about a 13-14 mile round trip. Once we hit summit we called for a ride back to the car from a Application Trail Shittle. He was awesome and gave some good history of the area on the way back. The kids were happy they didn't have to walk another 8 miles back, that would have been very difficult for a 6 year old. The driver left me his card so I figured I'd throw it up here incase some one ends up in the same predicament ( Sam Duke 706 994 6633) he charged $20 for the ride.
If your considering this trail I suggest doing it. It was a cool experience. It is not blazed but it's really easy to follow. There is a gift shop and museum/ theater at the top but nothing along the Arkaquah trail until you hit the park. Next stop Mt. Mitchell NC.

an enjoyable experience. you have over 1400 vertical feet to buzzard roost ridge from the trackrock gap trailhead. after that you encounter a rocky and scenic ridge with plenty of great views all around. i went thru cove gap and the second peak at 3 miles then turned around and headed back. as johnny malloy said: this is one of the finest trails in the region. i saw some kind of wild turkey or pheasant but it moved too fast for me to identify it. as previously stated the trip down is steep and slippery so take your time and enjoy the ride especially if the leaves are on the ground.

A lot of elevation climbing. Coming back is great if your legs are not to wobbly!

This is a beautiful trail but is challenging due to the elevation gain and loss over and over good workout

Very cool trail, starts with a vicious climb up, once you clear the top of the first hill there is a great break spot on a rock with an excellent view! Once you get past the first climb you stay on the ridges of 3 peaks going across. A lot of up and down but not nearly as bad as the first climb. When you make it to the state park there is a $5 shuttle that will take you to the top. It's only a steep .6 but by that time your legs will know you did something and it's 6 miles back. We hiked this in November which made for great views but the climbs are so steep when they are covered in leaves it is very slippery. So don't plan on making up time on the hike out if there are leaves on the ground.