Appalachian Trail: Woody Gap to Gooch Gap

Appalachian Trail: Woody Gap to Gooch Gap is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Suches, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a really fun hike! An amazing view 1.5 miles in makes it so worth it and gooch gap is a really cool little spot in a valley 2 miles further.

Excellent trail. Moderate elevation changes. Only took 3 hours. I am sure the views are great but today was steady rain\clouds\mist. The good thing was I only passed two other people.

Great trail , two really great views , colorful !

It was a perfect day for spending a few hours on the trail. The little bridge over the tree roots was creative.

Amazing views! I got stung by a yellow jacket but it was no big deal. Totally worth it;)

Trail is in great condition! Beautiful overlook, and as other reviews have said, lots of hills coming back! Marked well.

Great hike with two beautiful overlooks (great place to stop and take pictures)! Trail is in great condition. It is a little hilly coming back but overall a great hike!

This part of the Appalachian seemed well traveled and was well marked and has two great outlook areas that are top shelf. Wife and I hiked it out and back with no problems. all the steep areas are stepped with rocks so it was easy both up and down. would do it again.

Fun trail with a great water source at Gooch shelter.

We stated this section with car camping at Woody. Nice views!

Saturday, December 09, 2017

Hiked this the day after it snowed. Beautiful hike with great views!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

This trail was very pretty during the autumn when I hiked it, it leads to a large flat rocked area with a beautiful view. Wasn't a very hard hike either

Monday, October 16, 2017

preachers rock overlook was great, the rest was so so... Great hike with fur babies or older kids though

Saturday, October 07, 2017

We hiked through a ton of fog...Hurricaine Nate is on the way. It was eerie and really beautiful. Trail was in great shape--some downed trees had been recently cut. As of October 7, 2017--no fall color yet. Maybe 2 weekends for the peak?

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Nice hike with two good overlooks. All uphill coming back from the gap. Limited parking as well.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Trail walking conditions are good, average roots and rocks with several flat stretches. Nice view at top of ramrock.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Hiked this one yesterday and loved every step! The wildflowers were blooming, delicate waterfalls crossed the paths and there were several great spots for viewing the vistas. We hiked 3 miles in and saw TWO BLACK BEARS!! One was running away from us - must have spooked him and the other was sitting in the brush about 60 feet off the trail watching our every move. Not aggressive but we didn't stay around long enough to find out.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Easy and scenic

Sunday, October 30, 2016

great walk. easy.
great views.

Monday, October 07, 2013

I hike thru this area with three other people during the first week of July this year (2013). It was the fourth day of our hike and like all the other days, we left the shelter in a light rain. It was to be a short day hiking from Gooch Mountain Shelter to Preachers Rock on Big Cedar Mountain. By mid morning, the rain stopped, and we continued down the fog-shrouded trail. We missed the views from Ramrock and Black Mountain, but the terrain and flora were beautiful. As we arrived at Woody Gap, the fog cleared and opened up a beautiful vista. I did not have a camera so I returned and took a picture last weekend and posted it here. I plan to re-hike this section before the end of the year.