Appalachian Trail: Woody Gap to Gooch Gap

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(186)
Suches, Georgia

Appalachian Trail: Woody Gap to Gooch Gap is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Suches, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome and challenging hike. Saw a big black bear run across the trail about 39 yards or so in front of me. Got an ok video.

Spoiler: there is no real view at the end of the trail, however there are a couple of overlooks with good views on the way. The trail is scenic overall but don't be too distracted by the views along the trail because some sections require attention to the trail itself as they can be rocky and slippery.

Woody Gap parking lot was really crowded on Saturday, but that is because the weather was so nice. Wasn’t hard to find a campsite, though.

Had no problem finding a parking space in the lot at Woody Gap in the early afternoon. The trail was a little muddy--and is rocky--but is well kept. The ups and downs in the trail lead you to many great views and the trees keep it cool and shady. Took our 1 year old dog and she enjoyed the small streams and waterfalls throughout the trail. Encountered few hikers along the way and some small swarming flying insects that don't appear to bite or sting.

Very nice hike, although we recorded 8 miles, also there is a portion where the app was telling me that I was off trail, don’t freak out, you still on trail, just follow the white blazes. The views are spectacular, trail is well kept and several nice camping spots.

Great hike today! We got a late start in the afternoon and it was quite windy and cool, but we were prepared. This is a good combination trail with ups and downs and in between. A couple of small running waterfalls from all of the recent rains, so it was nice to see some of it that way. We had no issue with parking and encountered a few other hikers in and out. We clocked more than the 6.9 listed at 7.3.

Beautiful trail and I registered 7 miles from Woody Gap to Gooch Gap and back. Very windy today especially on the mountain portions.

This is a nice moderately challenging trail with the best views between fall and spring. The two views provided were beautiful. I originally thought Long Creek Falls was on this section of the trail because of the pictures, but it’s much further than the 6.9 out and back indicated here.

Nice, moderate hike. Lightly trafficked on the way in. Started on an overcast Sunday morning at 8:30am. First cool day of the year. Very pretty even with no views due to heavy fog. Fog gave it a very serene feel.

Great N GA hike, easy access for day hike from Atl. Lots of shade—will do again in fall!

Sat May 25 2019

This was a great hike! It was pretty rocky in some areas but the elevation gain isn’t bad at all. There are some steep climbs but they don’t last long. There’s a decent amount of uphill/downhill & flat path & I didn’t feel there was more one than the other. The trail from woody gap to Gooch Gap was exactly 8 miles by my gps out & back. Great vista views of the mountains on outcrops along the route. There is no water. There was a small stream but it was fairly dry. No water to be gained there. So pack enough water. Saw a big beautiful black racer about 5 feet long. He meandered slowly off the trail without any concern for us. Just a great hike all in all! Highly recommend!!!

Fri May 24 2019

great hike, kinda rocky at some parts but nothing crazy

Fri Apr 26 2019

Great hike, fairly easy, I hike it with trail runners. Be sure to go from November to early May for the best views. You’re hiking on the side of the mountain with beautiful valley below.

Sun Apr 21 2019

I thought this was one if the best trails we have done in awhile. The wildflowers were spectacular!

Sat Mar 23 2019

Good hike! I might recommend going the opposite direction so that you end with the views at Woody Cap and then the last bit back would be downhill. Going this way you just turn around a campground which was fine but sort of anticlimactic. Additionally, I would call this "moderately trafficked" rather than lightly trafficked. Nice hike though!

Sat Mar 16 2019

My husband and I completed this on the way to Springer Mountain from Woody Gap. The view at Woody Gap is amazing! This is a fantastic hike to Gooch. It's not a difficult hike. We cut the hike short by a day. We weren't prepared for how cold it was at night. But we made it to Sassafras that first day and set up camp there. We headed back to Woody the next day. We are going to return to complete the hike to Springer in the future. The hike to Gooch from Woody though is a great day hike. Definitely recommend.

Sun Mar 10 2019

This is one of my favorite hikes in north Georgia. The best window is from November to April when the views are more open.....especially from Ramrock Mountain. The seven mile round trip from Woody Gap is quite manageable, with several nice elevation changes, for a very nice day hike. There are several nice camp sites at Gooch Gap that allow for a pleasant lunch break.

Tue Feb 26 2019

Beautiful weather today, so I headed up to Woody Gap and did the round trip to Gooch Gap and back. This time of year, the view is expansive for most of the trek and doesn’t disappoint. Plenty of assents for good exercise and a lot of shade throughout. Noticed many areas that would be great camping spots too. I’ll definitely hike this 7-8 mile route again.

Tue Jan 22 2019

This is a really fun hike! An amazing view 1.5 miles in makes it so worth it and gooch gap is a really cool little spot in a valley 2 miles further.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Excellent trail. Moderate elevation changes. Only took 3 hours. I am sure the views are great but today was steady rain\clouds\mist. The good thing was I only passed two other people.

Wed Nov 07 2018

Great trail , two really great views , colorful !

Sat Nov 03 2018

It was a perfect day for spending a few hours on the trail. The little bridge over the tree roots was creative.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Amazing views! I got stung by a yellow jacket but it was no big deal. Totally worth it;)

Sun Sep 23 2018

Trail is in great condition! Beautiful overlook, and as other reviews have said, lots of hills coming back! Marked well.

Sat Sep 01 2018

Great hike with two beautiful overlooks (great place to stop and take pictures)! Trail is in great condition. It is a little hilly coming back but overall a great hike!