Appalachian Trail to Amicalola Falls State Park

Appalachian Trail to Amicalola Falls State Park is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Amicalola, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The first mile of trail on the AT in Georgia.

great trail
It took 3.45 minutes each way.
total 16 miles from from the top of the falls to starting of Appalachian trial and back
not much of a scenic hike in the month of early April

The approach trail to Springer Mt is a must. It gives you a good taste of what's ahead for the next few days, weeks , or even months for the chosen ones. Seeing that first white blaze makes it worth it as well. Hike on Hikers

My wife and I set out from Amicalola Falls on a Thursday around noon and reached The Springer Mountain Shelter close to 6:30 that evening. It was a very strenuous hike, but it made seeing the first white blaze on Springer all the more rewarding. We spent the night at the shelter, lost a little food to the mice, and enjoyed the company of some fellow hikers. We returned to Amicalola the next afternoon to round out a very enjoyable and strenuous hike. We went late August, so we made sure to get water at every water source we found (these are well marked and documented). The views weren't particularly spectacular until we reached the summit of Springer, but it's a wonderful hike nonetheless.

tough in some slots but great views and landscape.

Only made it 5 miles this time , not bad for beginners

Spent 4 days hiking this trail. The scenery was beautiful!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

great backpacking trail with quite a few stealth campsites available between the park and frosty Mountain. I would suggest carrying as little water as possible until you get to the top of the falls. About a quarter mile past the Falls, there is a fast-moving stream for you to filter water from. This will keep you from having to lug 5 pounds of water up the stairs. There are no reliable water sources between this point and the black Gap shelter, so be sure you have enough water for about 6 miles. there is a good chance you will spot some black bears during your hike. they are quite skittish, so just don't make eye contact and keep walking past them if it's safe to do so. I saw two Cubs and the mama bear on my hike. As soon as they saw me, the Cubs took off away from me and Mama shortly followed them. if you're planning on spending the night, I would suggest the black Gap shelter area. It's not as crowded as the shelter at Springer. On the way back comma take the hike Inn Trail just past number will get to your left. You can stop in there, rest, and have some hiker snacks for a small donation. You can continue on the hiking trail back to the falls.

Thursday, April 21, 2016