Appalachian Trail: Springer Mountain to North Carolina Border

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(74)
Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area

Appalachian Trail: Springer Mountain to North Carolina Border is a 73.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Blue Ridge, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 73.2 miles Elevation Gain: 19,799 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Georgia section of AT. From Springer Mt. to the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

All trails map is wrong at some points. Be careful it will say off trial when you are actually good. Maybe Check our guthook if you’re doing the whole thing

Just hiked 54 miles of this trail sobo in 4.5 days. Had to skip from Dicks Creek to Neel Gap because I wasn't making the time I needed to and water sources were scarce. I heard Tray Mnt was dry and Addis Gap was only a tickle two days before. Tough hike especially with misty rain two days straight but glad I did it. With GPS and reception spotty on top of the cold sucking my battery pack and phone charge, tracking myself on trail was difficult but at least I could track most of it and my family could watch. I recommend keeping updated on water sources and bringing at least 3 liters. I started with 2 and it wasn't enough. Thankfully the hiker community helped me out.

Noticed a few misleading facts about this trial info. From Springer Mtn. to the NC border is 84.3 miles and the outdoor center isn't until you past Franklin NC. Hiked past the NC border a few weeks ago. The outdoor center is 147 and some odd miles from Springer Mtn

Thu Apr 18 2019

Hiked from Springer Mtn to Gooch Gap with a daypack just to get a feel for the trail and some miles (~16 miles) in the log book. I thought the trail was in great shape, all blow down has been removed and the trail seems to drain and dry out well. Made good time, still LOTS of thru-hikers starting out. Nice to see them.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Most incredible experience of my life. Incredible views. Lots of water. Fascinating people

Tue Apr 02 2019

Great trail ! Took 5 days to finish . Get ready for up and downs the whole time but would definitely recommend it .

Wed Mar 06 2019

Iconic trail, bear boxes located at shelters for your convenience, Not an easy trail, but the approach trail up Amicalola Falls to the summit of Springer Mountain is actually tougher than the AT in the Georgia section. Water is easily accessed in the spring, no need to carry a lot of it.

Fri Jan 04 2019

The trail is moderate in sections but strenuous to Blood Mountain down to Neels Gap. From Neels Gap.up thru UNICOI to Plum Orchard Gap same type of terrain,but is all WORTH IT.

Sun Oct 28 2018

What an amazing adventure! We had a small group. Amicalola to Unicoi Gap during Hurricane Micheal. Loved ever hard minute of it. Can’t wait to get back out.

Fri Sep 14 2018

awesome walk

Sun Sep 02 2018

Nice trail on awesome day

Fri Aug 17 2018

great Trail great views

Tue Mar 27 2018

7 days of hard hiking, but totally Awesome. We backpacked to Albert Mountain

Tue Feb 13 2018

Amazing! Tough yes but, totally worth it for the views and the breathtaking scenery.

Fri Feb 02 2018

Hiked this section of the AT at the beginning of last April. Due to my line of work, I am unable to take off an extended amount of time to allow me to thru-hike.. so I’m forced to section hike it. They claim that this is the toughest part of the Appalachian Trail. I’m not so sure about all of that, but it is rather tough in certain spots. A lot of elevation gain/loss in a short distance, but the rewards (views) are so worth it. 10/10.. after I have completed the whole trail, I’d love to do Georgia again. I like to day-hike portions of it. Preachers Rock and Blood Mountain to Neels Gap are awesome day hikes.

Sun Aug 13 2017

John Young, are you still looking for hikers for this trip? I tried to email you.

Tue Aug 08 2017

Sept 28 looking for folks doing the same. Unsure of this site but trying. Springer to nc border trip. I live in florida. Contact me at johnyoung063@gmail.com

Mon Jul 31 2017

I plan on hiking from Springer to the NC border stating on Sept 13, 2017. I have 10 days to see if I can make it. If not, I will stop at Dicks Creek Gap. Anyone else? Chrisd224@comcast.net

Tue Jul 04 2017

Hard as F@&$ but well worth it

Fri Jun 16 2017

Hi I am hiking from Springer to Smoky Mountain.Anyone else going round about the 18 the September 2017? I have 12 days to see how far I can get. Any suggestions on weather and gear needed? pauloppel@gmail.com

Tue Mar 07 2017

Our family is hiking in sections. We have made it GA to NC border in 3 years. It is a great cheap family vacation with lots of bonding time.

Mon Feb 20 2017

Rough, and mud driven slopes and the heat in the summer of 2015-2016 was a beast. Did in segments until reaching NC/GA/TN.

Fri Feb 17 2017

The stairs suck.... but, you can find a lot of good gear that idiot thru hikers toss to the side....I'm not picking that crap up.

Tue Nov 08 2016

i am planning on doing the section with a friend. We are going to park cars at each end of this section. Where would we park at on the North Carolina side of this trail?

Mon Oct 17 2016

Loved it! Hiked 115 miles in 5.25 days! Wife and I did a section, we hiked hard and fast.

Sat Aug 20 2016

Amazing views, but very hard terrain. Be prepared for a lot of up and downs.

Sun May 29 2016

Gorgeous! Many nice places to make camp

Mon May 16 2016

great

Sat Apr 30 2016

Great trail, started in springer mountain all the way to neel' Gap passed Blood mountain. Amazing view, grate camp sites and unfortunately didn't see any Bear :) for fully loaded backpackers, some parts were hard the rest was moderate. Great trail!

Wed Apr 13 2016

Actually being on the AT for a Thru-hike, I remember the nerves ran high and the miles melted under my feet. Crossing the 35 mile mark was a high point in and of itself as I never had hiked that far in one journey. The hill going up into NC was the first of the climbs I'd remember.