Appalachian Trail: Springer Mountain to North Carolina Border

Appalachian Trail: Springer Mountain to North Carolina Border is a 76.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Blue Ridge, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

19609 feet
Point to Point

Georgia section of AT. From Springer Mt. to the NC border.

Tough yes but, totally worth it for the views and the breathtaking scenery.

Hiked this section of the AT at the beginning of last April. Due to my line of work, I am unable to take off an extended amount of time to allow me to thru-hike.. so I’m forced to section hike it. They claim that this is the toughest part of the Appalachian Trail. I’m not so sure about all of that, but it is rather tough in certain spots. A lot of elevation gain/loss in a short distance, but the rewards (views) are so worth it. 10/10.. after I have completed the whole trail, I’d love to do Georgia again. I like to day-hike portions of it. Preachers Rock and Blood Mountain to Neels Gap are awesome day hikes.

John Young, are you still looking for hikers for this trip? I tried to email you.

Sept 28 looking for folks doing the same. Unsure of this site but trying. Springer to nc border trip. I live in florida. Contact me at

Looking at doing section springer to nc on seat 27 and hope to do 7 days any takers?

I plan on hiking from Springer to the NC border stating on Sept 13, 2017. I have 10 days to see if I can make it. If not, I will stop at Dicks Creek Gap. Anyone else?

Hard as F@&$ but well worth it

I am hiking from Springer to Smoky Mountain.Anyone else going round about the 18 the September 2017?
I have 12 days to see how far I can get. Any suggestions on weather and gear needed?

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Our family is hiking in sections. We have made it GA to NC border in 3 years. It is a great cheap family vacation with lots of bonding time.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Rough, and mud driven slopes and the heat in the summer of 2015-2016 was a beast. Did in segments until reaching NC/GA/TN.

Friday, February 17, 2017

The stairs suck.... but, you can find a lot of good gear that idiot thru hikers toss to the side....I'm not picking that crap up.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

i am planning on doing the section with a friend. We are going to park cars at each end of this section. Where would we park at on the North Carolina side of this trail?

Monday, October 17, 2016

Loved it! Hiked 115 miles in 5.25 days! Wife and I did a section, we hiked hard and fast.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Amazing views, but very hard terrain. Be prepared for a lot of up and downs.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Gorgeous! Many nice places to make camp

Monday, May 16, 2016

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Great trail, started in springer mountain all the way to neel' Gap passed Blood mountain. Amazing view, grate camp sites and unfortunately didn't see any Bear :) for fully loaded backpackers, some parts were hard the rest was moderate. Great trail!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Actually being on the AT for a Thru-hike, I remember the nerves ran high and the miles melted under my feet. Crossing the 35 mile mark was a high point in and of itself as I never had hiked that far in one journey. The hill going up into NC was the first of the climbs I'd remember.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Awesome trail, completed in May 2015. Weather was great, not too hot and only a little rain. Trail was busier over the Memorial Day weekend for sure but still not bad.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Had a great time though I had to break the hike into three visits which when totaled took 6 days. Living in Florida I look at any opportunity to hike in a cooler climate. Because I hiked in the spring the views were great. There were some areas that were challenging but overall it was enjoyable. I shot video of my hike.

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

I just finished this in June 2015. Took me 6 days to reach the border, and another half day to get to my car near Standing Indian campground. I averaged 14 miles per day, with the longest day between Blue Mountain and Deep Gap shelter at 16 miles. The weather wasn't terribly hot, there were only a couple thunderstorms, but the rattlesnakes were out in abundance. Definitely keep a strong eye out for snakes if you go during mid to late June/July.

This stretch is a lot more strenuous than one might anticipate, but apparently not nearly as bad as the AT further north. Great hike, and I plan to hike the "sister" of this section next year: Maine's Hundred Mile Wilderness through to Katahdin.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Have hiked all of the AT Approach Trail, beginning at Amicalola State Park to Neels gap. will complete the rest of the AT in GA in may 2015. Great views and camping along the way.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I did this hike over 6 days with a couple of friends in March, 2013. This is part of the AT. As such, it is a VERY busy trail in March. It was a lot of fun, but I'd describe it as a social trail, rather than as a wilderness experience. There were a few places with views - Blood Mountain and a couple others. And it was a generally 'easy' hike. We started at about 8 miles a day, and finished doing 13 - 15. We stopped at the last road crossing before NC. Nevertheless, the weather in March was the right time to do this - though we did get a bunch of sleet one night.

Monday, February 27, 2017