Appalachian Trail: Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap

Appalachian Trail: Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap is a 16.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dahlonega, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Gnarly simple trail lots of hill and camp sites not much water

Gnarly simple trail lots of hill and camp sites not much water

Good summertime views from Wolf Laurel, Cowrock, and Wildcat. Pump filter would be better than a Sawyer for this ridge line hike.

A very nice section of the Georgia trail. No views but you won't mind since you actually get some extended flat sections.

Hiked this SOBO with a friend from work. My GF was hiking Blood with her ladies hiking group, so she dropped us off at Hogpen Gap with plans to meet her at the Byron Reece parking area.

The descent from Wildcat into Tesnatee Gap is quite steep and you would be well advised to bring some trekking poles.

Coming out of Tesnatee you will hit a 600' ascent to the Cowrock Mountain overlook. It's not a hard section as there are numerous switchbacks to help ease the elevation gain. Be sure to rest a few minutes and take in the view when you get to the overlook There are also a couple more views to the south (left if SOBO) just after Cowrock.

You will be walking on a fairly narrow ridgeline for part of the way which offers a great North and South view.

Be sure to relax and have a Pizza at Mountain Crossings when you reach Neel's Gap. You'll also get a chance to walk the only part of the AT which passes through a building. Sign the log on the left as you pass through.

Nice area, parking across the street for day hikers or overflow of the Raven Cliffs. Heading up for a nice day hike to Cowrock is always welcoming.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is my favorite trail so far. The initial walk on the highway threw me off a bit but after .7 miles I saw Neels Gap official start. Parking isn't allowed at Neels Gap unless you are a guest at the cabin. I didn't hike the entire 7.3 miles. I turned around after 5.8 miles when I got to Cow Rock which had an amazing view. The hike took about 6 hours with several stops. I didn't see any water spots along the way. Definitely worth the trip.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Friday, April 15, 2016

Friday, January 08, 2016

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Excellent dayhike in summer or overnight in winter, unless you are a speedy hiker or can start early. My friend and I went from Neels Gap to Cowrock Mountain and back (about 10.5 miles) in about 7 hours, with plenty of stops for snacks and views. A few parts are steep, but mostly you ascend and descend peaks with gradual saddles between. Several clean, flat campsites. One small spring about 2 mi from Neels Gap was running at a low flow (possibly normal for high summer). We passed more than one hiker who did not carry enough water. I carried two liters of water and one of Gatorade. More would be better, less would be unwise. If you have poles, bring them. I will do this one again in fall and winter for views and leaf peeping, and in spring for wildflowers on the ridges.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Thursday, January 15, 2015

A great hike with magnificent mountaintop views, particularly the gorgeous panorama from the summit of Cowrock Mountain. If you start early enough, you can make this a long day hike out and back, although allowing yourself 2 days to fully enjoy the stunning views and nature is ideal. I did the whole stretch in a day but I was in a race with the rapidly-setting sun for the last 2 miles, as I didn't bring camping gear (hindsight, it was a mistake). The hike is moderate-to-difficult; I wouldn't recommend this stretch for beginners, young children or the physically unfit, as there are several very steep grades both ways and the trail is easy to lose at a couple points.

Saturday, September 20, 2014