Appalachian Trail: Black Mountain to Springer Mountain

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(28)
Suches, Georgia

Appalachian Trail: Black Mountain to Springer Mountain is a 19.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Suches, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.9 miles Elevation Gain: 5,045 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Sun Sep 30 2018

We started at Hightower Gap and finished our day at Woody Gap. Our route started out pretty intense, Sassafras Mountain is no joke but it really nice.

Mon Apr 02 2018

Sure was pretty! and hard too!

Tue Mar 07 2017

Love the views! Very challenging mountains but glad to be going north bound to Blood Mt. Make sure you stop by Neel Gap store. Great hiking gear and lots of hiking boots outside in trees.

Sat Feb 25 2017

Beast mode, super strenuous and overall a bear to complete, make it a 2 day trip for sure. Also check out Redbeard on YouTube as he documents the AT.

Tue Jun 21 2016

Completed this section during a section hike from Springer to Woody Gap. It was a bit tough, but even carrying a 40lb pack I didn't feel it was as bad as most people say. Then again, I had been training with my pack at Stone/Kennesaw/Sawnee for a few months before. Be sure to camel up before hitting the trail. There is no reliable water on the trail until you reach Justus Creek. There is USUALLY some trail magic water jugs at Cooper Gap, but you should NEVER rely on other people's generosity. If you're lucky, there may be a huge mobile water tank at Cooper Gap if the Army are out doing their wargames thing. Sasafrass and Justus pack a back to pack one-two punch, but just pace yourself and you'll be fine. When I reached Justus Creek, there were only 5 people there. Within 20 minutes, there were easily 20 people there, washing clothes in the water, wading,etc. I opted to wait until Gooch Shelter to get water since I had experienced the trail magic at Cooper Gap. I wish more people would learn and PRACTICE LNT principles. Be sure to take time to check out the views from Ramrock Mountain a couple of miles before you get to Woody Gap!

Mon Apr 18 2016

I loved this hike, but it was hard!

Wed Apr 13 2016

The view is just behind the shelter on Blood Mountain and the stone steps down the mountain are worthy of thanking the trail maintainers for.

Thu Oct 22 2015

Did this section with a friend of mine as part of a weekend hike. Even thought it was raining, it was beautiful and challenging. Trail wasn't too crowded. Really I live for hikes like this one, it was well worth making the trip out for. The leaves were changing color and it was a perfect cool temp for hiking. It really didn't get any better.

Wed Jun 10 2015

Done this trail twice. A little tough but has nice views

Tue Dec 23 2014

I love this stretch but it can become overcrowded at times. It becomes the AT super-highway March and April, with hordes of new thru-hikers beginning their journey.

Sun Apr 06 2014

Great place to hike. Offers several tough climbs, but rewarded with great views.

Thu Mar 13 2014

You're rewarded with awesome panoramic views.

Tue Aug 27 2013

Rough one, but enjoyable. Hitched a ride back from a trail angel to the car parked at Woody Gap after running out of steam. Have to see Hightower one more time to finish the southern end of the GA AT, since I have yet to hike the Hightower to Springer section. Once that is complete, all I'll have left in GA is from Dick's Creek Gap to Bly Gap at the NC border. Any info on affordable shuttles for either of these areas would be greatly appreciated!

Tue Aug 13 2013

Good challenge. Did this leg on my way to wolf pen gap. Tough climbs

Tue Jul 03 2012

Wow!! This one was tough, but very beautiful. Hiked it with my eight year old daughter and my sixteen y/o nephew. About halfway through, I finally wised up and gave the heavy backpack to the teenager! Saw a bear (right after I ate a Snickers) and georgous scenery. This was one of the best trails. Took us quite a while as it rained for about four hours on us.

Tue Oct 25 2011

Beautiful section. Hiked it just as the leaves started to change. The approach trail from Amicalola to Hightower is definitely the most difficult part if you add it or you can drive up FS42 to Hightower. You haven't really done it unless you walk up the 600+ stairs at the falls with your pack. I understand how some people can decide to quit there.

Sun Dec 31 2017