Appalachian Approach Trail

Appalachian Approach Trail is a 16.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dawsonville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a great fitness rep ahead of my A.T. section hike. It had been 12 years since my previous hike and it tested me well. I stayed on Amicalola Mountain (mile 4.4) the first night and completed it the following day. A great test for the noob or the experienced.

This is a great trail - I would rate it as hard, mostly due to the distance and multiple ups and downs. Great workout. I camped at the amecolia campgrounds and hiked this out and back two days in a row - was a bit too sore / tired to try for a third day.

Did it with a big group and it was a fun hike. Definitely need a day to do that and also recommend a good meal to treat yourself afterwards. The trail itself us a lot of small ups and downs. Most of the trail is in shade which makes it quite comfortable in the summer. The stairs at the beginning is probably the most intense part, and one in my group got a bit light headed when she was up - low blood sugar.

Some challenging gains but good for trail running. A solid test today.

I did a one way on this in 1991 coming from the AT on a southern route. All I remember is the downhill. We were out of water due to the water sources being dry and kept hiking late into the night before we hit a source. I could definitely see why so many people quit the AT on this approach.

Tough hike up to Springer Mountain but worth the views!

Good long day hike! We started at springer mountain and hiked our wAy down to the beginning thinking it would be easier....no :/ it sucked so much at points but it was so so fun and nice to get to be one with nature