Learn more

Andrews Cove Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Helen, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

About 6 miles round trip to get to the views

Walked this yesterday with a friend. The trail is pretty and not for the faint of heart. One guide book called this a moderate hike. When they say the top is steep that is no joke. AllTrails certainly had it right - I would rate this a hard. This 230lb out of shape 50-year old lady found it challenging but not impossible. Scenery is the typical wooded trail - lots of great trees, plants, mushrooms and interesting fungi. We enjoyed the sound of the birds and the creek. Met three hikers at the top who had taken a break from the AT and getting ready to get back on. They were so sweet to cheer me on when I got to the top. They heading on to continue their hike on the AT for a few more days. On our way down we began to hear some thunder rumbling and though it rained, because of the leaf cover we didn't get very wet until almost the end of the trail coming into the camping area. Because I am so very out of shape it took us about 2 hours to make it up and an hour and half to make it down. My thoughts - if you are out of shape, start from the campground and go up. I would have hated to be pooped from the hike and then have to hike back up the steep section. Trail Conditions: Trail has lots of rocks on it - probably from rain run-off. Streams/Streamlets were easy to ford. I should have brought my hiking stick - it would have helped going up the steps and coming down and crossing the streams.

No views.... hiked ended in a parking area

It was a challenging hike but we were hoping for a view. Turns out you finish this trail and have to start another 2.7 mile hike to reach views at Unicoi Gap. We didn’t have the time to make the additional trek so we didn’t get to see the views. Still a challenging hike along a beautiful creek though.

closed

Trail is temporarily closed due to COVID-19.

Great hike. Great exercise. Definitely not for the gentle hiker. Found a beautiful hidden little oasis slightly off trail. Lots and lots of ticks on us after our hike so be careful and check your pets afterwards. I love this hike

Entrance to park is closed for the winter, had to park on the Unicoi Turnpike across the road. This is a great workout if you hike up to Indian Grave Gap and then turn left on the App Trail and go to the Rocky Mtn trail. Its 3 miles all pretty much uphill.

Awesome uphill trail. Legs were burning. I just went to the top and down. More trail options at the top. Couple log crossings, but not bad. Definitely not for everyone. Probably wont see anyone else while you're there.

Wed Feb 13 2019

Parking at the Andrew Cove so I parked to the side of the road. The walk up to Indian Gap was all up hill. Or at least it felt like it. There is a stream that runs most of the way up so there is plenty of water. I joined the AT at the top of the trail and headed to Tray Mt. Super clear, sunny, but windy day. Finished off my trail data to complete the GA section of the AT. 9.4 round trip, good hike to shake out my legs for my Foothills Trail hike.

Thu Jul 12 2018

I kinda feel this climb is more strenuous than Blood Mountain, because you sometimes go directly up the slope rather than along switchbacks. Just find the pace and focus on breathing. When you reach the steep wooden steps and feel like you've had just about enough, push just a little farther up and you'll be done. Take a break at Indian Grave Gap up top then choose your next adventure.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Deceptive at first - the two+ mile hike to the AT (app says 3.5, signs said 2 - I’m inclined the truth is in the middle) ends at Indian grave gap and the last stretch is a long slog uphill - gets the heart going but not too hard, never see a person on this trail - it’s a great way to tack on 2 miles of solitude til you get to the AT and decide north or south - north to Tray has the better camping.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Pretty tough trail and not much to see along the way

Thu Nov 03 2016

It is not open year round - blocked off October 31, 2016. Parking off road not feasible. Check with ranger office for more details.

Wed Apr 27 2016

The most INTENSE CLIMB/ONLY CLIMB TO INDIAN GRAVE GAP. it's awesome.

Mon Jan 17 2011

There is a trail here but it doesn't really go anywhere...no reward at the end. Part of it is straight up hill and quite treacherous. Great leg workout!

Mon Apr 29 2019