Amicalola Falls State Park via Appalachian Trail

Amicalola Falls State Park via Appalachian Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Amicalola, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first mile of trail on the AT in Georgia.

I started at the top of the falls and made a 9 mile hike to Springer mountain parking lot, where I was picked up. I earned my Appalachian trail right of passage. seeing the first white blaze on Springer was almost a spiritual experience.

Such a beautiful waterfall and lots of trails!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

nice hike!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

great trail
It took 3.45 minutes each way.
total 16 miles from from the top of the falls to starting of Appalachian trial and back
not much of a scenic hike in the month of early April

Saturday, February 25, 2017

The approach trail to Springer Mt is a must. It gives you a good taste of what's ahead for the next few days, weeks , or even months for the chosen ones. Seeing that first white blaze makes it worth it as well. Hike on Hikers

Thursday, February 16, 2017

My wife and I set out from Amicalola Falls on a Thursday around noon and reached The Springer Mountain Shelter close to 6:30 that evening. It was a very strenuous hike, but it made seeing the first white blaze on Springer all the more rewarding. We spent the night at the shelter, lost a little food to the mice, and enjoyed the company of some fellow hikers. We returned to Amicalola the next afternoon to round out a very enjoyable and strenuous hike. We went late August, so we made sure to get water at every water source we found (these are well marked and documented). The views weren't particularly spectacular until we reached the summit of Springer, but it's a wonderful hike nonetheless.

Friday, January 06, 2017

tough in some slots but great views and landscape.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Only made it 5 miles this time , not bad for beginners

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Spent 4 days hiking this trail. The scenery was beautiful!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

great backpacking trail with quite a few stealth campsites available between the park and frosty Mountain. I would suggest carrying as little water as possible until you get to the top of the falls. About a quarter mile past the Falls, there is a fast-moving stream for you to filter water from. This will keep you from having to lug 5 pounds of water up the stairs. There are no reliable water sources between this point and the black Gap shelter, so be sure you have enough water for about 6 miles. there is a good chance you will spot some black bears during your hike. they are quite skittish, so just don't make eye contact and keep walking past them if it's safe to do so. I saw two Cubs and the mama bear on my hike. As soon as they saw me, the Cubs took off away from me and Mama shortly followed them. if you're planning on spending the night, I would suggest the black Gap shelter area. It's not as crowded as the shelter at Springer. On the way back comma take the hike Inn Trail just past number will get to your left. You can stop in there, rest, and have some hiker snacks for a small donation. You can continue on the hiking trail back to the falls.

Monday, April 18, 2016

It's hard but fun. I took a trail up instead of the steps because I have a dog.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

There are no bonus points for including this into your AT itinerary however, it will test you as the journey begins. The stairs will offer great insight into the rest of the hike.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Hey, It's the AT. Get over the crowds. Go in the winter, because you are in GA and can do that. The views are the best and no bugs. Just watch the ice.

I give very few 5 stars but this trail is the King. All of it Do all you can

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Great Hike. Views are great in the fall and winter. Only one real lengthy climb...returning back to the falls going up from Nimblewill Gap.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Have hiked this trail many times, get for the whole family. The stars can be daunting but views are worth the work.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

An absolutely beautiful hike and is very challenging. The stairs on the falls will make even an experienced hiker gasp for breath and then the route to Springer has some elevation changes however it is real hiking and North Georgia is beautiful. I've always wanted to do the full AT through hike and this would be the first "unofficial" section. If you live in Georgia, this really is one of the must hike trails to have on your list along with other sections of the AT here.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Went with my best friend after a 'snow storm'. BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't recommend taking dogs up/down stairs at Amicalola- my dog toughed it out with a cut on her paw. Can be challenging especially with snow. One of my favorite trails.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Started at springer mtn hiked in 7mi and back out. It was awesome! Hope to go back soon....

Monday, March 23, 2015

Started at upper parking lot and did a loop out the approach trail and back the Len Foote trail. Fun trail but recommend hiking the Len Foote trail both ways as the views are much better on that trail and if you can time it right lots of rhododendrons!!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Have hiked all of the AT Approach Trail, beginning at Amicalola State Park to Neels gap. will complete the rest of the AT in GA in may 2015. Great views and camping along the way.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Start at Springer mountain and head north. Eventually you will make it to Maine. This first mile is symbolic, as the start of the trail.

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Strenuous, but I'm a beginner and I was able to make it to Springer and back in one day! I made it 5.5 hours there, and 5 hours back. Very memorable trail, and the walk back goes fast. Met some great, friendly people and a few who were hiking a couple hundred miles before winter really hits. Would definitely recommend and I will return when I pick up camping and will pitch a tent atop Springer!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hiked the Approach Trail not knowing about the parking lot 1 mile south of Springer Mountain. Was surprised to see day hikers coming from the south. :p Views to the west, but not very visible with heavy foliage. Recommend staying at the Len Foote Hike Inn.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Have done all of the AT in Georgia, including the Approach Trail. It took me 8 days. Beautiful views from the mountains, abundant water sources. Some of the campsites between Low Gap Shelter and Deep Gap Shelter are not marked (only marked water but not name of site/gap).

Monday, April 14, 2014

My son and I backpacked the Approach Trail 4/12 and camped at Springer Mountain. The trail is a good, tough trail. Reaching Springer was a treat as the views were terrific! We had a good night's rest and got up the next morning and hiked back to Amicalola Falls. We took the Len Foote Inn trail for some different scenery and to stop at the kitchen for some good ol' lemonade and pound cake. Very good hike, but one you must be in shape for as some of the inclines were pretty tough.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Nice run! Started at the upper parking lot. About 15 miles round trip to springer and back. Cold and windy, but the trail was great. Quite a few people hiking and two other runners.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Hiked from the base of Amicalola falls today. 17 miles in 6 hours total. The falls we're amazing as was the overall hike. The top of Springer was well worth the trek.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day hiked the approach trail today with a buddy and it was awesome. Even with the overcast skies. The time on top of Springer was cut short due to too many people who would rather talk as loud as possible rather than listen to the sounds of nature.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Delayed review, but better late than never. Last June, my 12 year old daughter, an adult friend, and myself hiked the trail. We planned to camp out after 7mi at the Black Gap Shelter, but when we arrived there were about 15 to 20 people that looked like a Scouting group - Ventures maybe so there wasn't a lot of room. With plenty of light, we hiked on to the sumit of Springer and then camped at the Springer Mountain shelter instead. It was a pretty strenuous hike in places for we out of shape computer guys, but my daughter was ready for more (and she was carrying about 15lbs in her pack). The only negatives of the hike was the copperhead my daughter and I litterally stepped over on the trail; the buddy saw it. Have no idea how we didn't step on the thing and it was a big one. Some others said they saw a timber rattler, but the copperhead was the only snake we saw. Near the top of the mountain and around the camp the black flies were HORRIBLE. Glad we had some face netting to keep from eatting them. Water sources at mi 6.2 and Springer shelter were running well. Great hike, but give yourself time particularly if you're a little out of shape like we were. Well worth it though.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Probably the most fun I have had on the AT in Georgia. While it is not technically a part of the Appalachian Trail, it is a great hike. I recommend staying at Hike-Inn and continuing on to the Springer summit.