Amicalola Falls State Park via Appalachian Trail

Amicalola Falls State Park via Appalachian Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Amicalola, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1906 feet

The first mile of trail on the AT in Georgia.

nice hike!

great trail
It took 3.45 minutes each way.
total 16 miles from from the top of the falls to starting of Appalachian trial and back
not much of a scenic hike in the month of early April

The approach trail to Springer Mt is a must. It gives you a good taste of what's ahead for the next few days, weeks , or even months for the chosen ones. Seeing that first white blaze makes it worth it as well. Hike on Hikers

My wife and I set out from Amicalola Falls on a Thursday around noon and reached The Springer Mountain Shelter close to 6:30 that evening. It was a very strenuous hike, but it made seeing the first white blaze on Springer all the more rewarding. We spent the night at the shelter, lost a little food to the mice, and enjoyed the company of some fellow hikers. We returned to Amicalola the next afternoon to round out a very enjoyable and strenuous hike. We went late August, so we made sure to get water at every water source we found (these are well marked and documented). The views weren't particularly spectacular until we reached the summit of Springer, but it's a wonderful hike nonetheless.

tough in some slots but great views and landscape.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Only made it 5 miles this time , not bad for beginners

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Spent 4 days hiking this trail. The scenery was beautiful!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

great backpacking trail with quite a few stealth campsites available between the park and frosty Mountain. I would suggest carrying as little water as possible until you get to the top of the falls. About a quarter mile past the Falls, there is a fast-moving stream for you to filter water from. This will keep you from having to lug 5 pounds of water up the stairs. There are no reliable water sources between this point and the black Gap shelter, so be sure you have enough water for about 6 miles. there is a good chance you will spot some black bears during your hike. they are quite skittish, so just don't make eye contact and keep walking past them if it's safe to do so. I saw two Cubs and the mama bear on my hike. As soon as they saw me, the Cubs took off away from me and Mama shortly followed them. if you're planning on spending the night, I would suggest the black Gap shelter area. It's not as crowded as the shelter at Springer. On the way back comma take the hike Inn Trail just past number will get to your left. You can stop in there, rest, and have some hiker snacks for a small donation. You can continue on the hiking trail back to the falls.

Monday, April 18, 2016

It's hard but fun. I took a trail up instead of the steps because I have a dog.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

There are no bonus points for including this into your AT itinerary however, it will test you as the journey begins. The stairs will offer great insight into the rest of the hike.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Hey, It's the AT. Get over the crowds. Go in the winter, because you are in GA and can do that. The views are the best and no bugs. Just watch the ice.

I give very few 5 stars but this trail is the King. All of it Do all you can

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Great Hike. Views are great in the fall and winter. Only one real lengthy climb...returning back to the falls going up from Nimblewill Gap.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Have hiked this trail many times, get for the whole family. The stars can be daunting but views are worth the work.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

An absolutely beautiful hike and is very challenging. The stairs on the falls will make even an experienced hiker gasp for breath and then the route to Springer has some elevation changes however it is real hiking and North Georgia is beautiful. I've always wanted to do the full AT through hike and this would be the first "unofficial" section. If you live in Georgia, this really is one of the must hike trails to have on your list along with other sections of the AT here.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Went with my best friend after a 'snow storm'. BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't recommend taking dogs up/down stairs at Amicalola- my dog toughed it out with a cut on her paw. Can be challenging especially with snow. One of my favorite trails.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Started at springer mtn hiked in 7mi and back out. It was awesome! Hope to go back soon....

Monday, March 23, 2015

Started at upper parking lot and did a loop out the approach trail and back the Len Foote trail. Fun trail but recommend hiking the Len Foote trail both ways as the views are much better on that trail and if you can time it right lots of rhododendrons!!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Have hiked all of the AT Approach Trail, beginning at Amicalola State Park to Neels gap. will complete the rest of the AT in GA in may 2015. Great views and camping along the way.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Start at Springer mountain and head north. Eventually you will make it to Maine. This first mile is symbolic, as the start of the trail.

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Strenuous, but I'm a beginner and I was able to make it to Springer and back in one day! I made it 5.5 hours there, and 5 hours back. Very memorable trail, and the walk back goes fast. Met some great, friendly people and a few who were hiking a couple hundred miles before winter really hits. Would definitely recommend and I will return when I pick up camping and will pitch a tent atop Springer!