Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Amicalola Creek Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dawsonville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 396 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

You must have a hunting license, fishing license, or GORP (Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass) to enter.

***You need a hunting/fishing license to use*** The creek and falls are really pretty but the graffiti and trash took away from the beauty that could have been there. There are multiple signs before and on the trail that says you need a fishing or hunting license to use the area. We seen multiple people abuse that rule and seen people throw their blowup floats into the woods. Very sad to see how some people treat nature..

Everyone out here without a license should be ashamed. There is trash everywhere and people misusing the amenities as well as people with alcohol (prohibited). Not to mention, this place is for hiking and fishing, not for you to take up every single outcropping with picnic tables and hammocks. Graffiti everywhere to the point you can’t read some of the signage. Somebody needs to come clean this place up and the DNR needs to take care of everyone here illegally.

Trail was pretty moderate. Several trees down and areas where the trail is very narrow. Highly trafficked on a Sunday. Great views and River was so nice to walk by.

Very good overall. Nice easy boardwalk along the river with beautiful views of the shoals leading to a shallow falls. The rest of the trail is more moderate, mostly wooded, and very narrow in some areas. Fire has damaged a portion of the forest but it’s starting to recover.

Very pretty trail with great diversity of fauna. I would side with it being slightly more moderate than easy due to the elevation changes. Nice segment along the river with picture opportunities.

a great little hike with the family. 6 of us. me, the wife, and 4 kids 2-12 made the hike. I would say either way around the loop has plenty of ups and downs to be a little more than a stroll but it's not that tough. My 2 year old walked most of the trip. I recommend taking the trip under the bridge then taking the route up to the left. that way, you finish with the falls.

Great hike although I think it was on the “moderate” side of “easy.” We parked in the lot, came down the stairs, and luckily someone told us to follow the blue blazes. It wasn’t the most fascinating hike ever, but it was great exercise. Ending at the river was beautiful.

Its nice when you're walking along the river. Then it sucks...there are large hills with lots of fallen trees across the trail. In some spots, the trail is only a foot wide with tons of overgrowth and steep drop offs. Once you get to the gravel about halfway thru, it's really good the rest of the way. Beautiful sandbars, super dog friendly!

fee

Parking fee ($5). Great exercise for an outstanding fall. The creek all the way had small falls in it. Hike it all or you can drive and park several places.

fee

great trail and very kid friendly. some elevation increases but not much. a must for families with smaller kids.

Single track with some forest roads. Not very technical. Fairly hilly for an “easy” trail. Beautiful trail and area.

Great hike on a nice winter day! I agree with others that it is definitely a Moderate Hike due to the steepness of the beginning (we went clockwise) but the payoff ending at the river was awesome!

Benton MacKaye 11a trail maintenance

fee

This trail is marked ‘easy’ but I tend to disagree, I’d say this is a more ‘moderate’ trail. It starts out really, really steep with lots of hidden roots and rocks than can trip you up. If you’re not used to hiking, you won’t make it much further once you reach the top because you’ll be out of gas. Coming down the steep side is also very hard on the knees. I recommend bringing the hiking poles if you have them.

Starts out steep, then after that its pretty easy.

Followed advice from previous reviews. Winter is the time to hike this. Used trail guide to follow blue markers. Beautiful trail.

Very fun hike here! Boardwalk part is easy, but the trail part can be a challenge for people who aren’t used to hiking in that it was pretty steep in parts. Helpful to know to follow the blue indicators and use this app for mapping help. I find the parking payment situation confusing and I need to figure that out next time

The start along the River was on a beautiful boardwalk that is handicap accessible. Once off the trail follow the blue markers which will loop you back around in about 3 miles. Recommend this to anyone looking for a quick hike with an array of scenery.

Nice little riverside trail with handicap access. Boardwalk for most of the way.

The handicapped accessible trail/boardwalk is great up and down the river. After you go under the Hwy 53 bridge there's a flight of stairs to the left, but we kept going to the end, so we walked the trail counter clockwise. That was confusing since at one point the trail split, so we took the right fork. Wrong! great views of the river, however. It will be better in the winter once the leaves are off the trees. once we got back to the double blue blazes, we followed the blue blazes uphill. No kidding about the yellow jackets, I got stung by 3 (another reason to wait for winter). Eventually you get to an old homesite (pipe coming out of a spring) and when finally uphill, lots of dead trees. Eventually come to a picnic table and memorial stone and lots of trail art and even a great view of the distant mountains. After a left turn at a trail junction, soon it's downhill and back to the steps we saw in the beginning and left, under the bridge and back to the steps up to the parking lot. We will not do this again unless it's winter.

It was ok. The boardwalk part is nice. At some point you're just on a gravel road. I wouldn't go out of your way to come here.

Great trail. Be prepared to be patient near the falls due to crowds. I was there during the week and there was still large groups of people on the observation decks. I had my dog with me and based on the reviews had his dog boots on. I'm glad I did because I would have otherwise had to carry him across the observation deck and staircases as the have a "cheese grater " texture to prevent slipping.

Use this trail weekly to exercise dog/s. Loop trail is nice and going clockwise direction allows you to finish up at edge of the world falls to cool off. Usually see deer early morning and very few people. The clearing on top of the ridge is beginning to fill in some, however I think the spraying along some of the tight areas ( overgrown ) was done with a bit too much spray. A lot of brown out on trail. Overall it’s a good trail. 2.3 miles. Clockwise gets the biggest elevation done early...

The trail is narrow at some points, and there are a couple confusing intersections, but it is well-marked with blue blazes. The trail itself is nothing spectacular, but the boardwalk and river area are lovely. We visited on Monday, September 9, And we didn't see anybody else on the trail, but probably 10 other people (and 2 dogs off leashes) playing closer to the water.