Amicalola Falls via East Ridge Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(742)
Amicalola Falls State Park

Amicalola Falls via East Ridge Loop Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dawsonville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 784 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

This is a track from the bottom of amicacola falls to the top. From there up to the AT approach trail and back. Fun loop for all. Well marked and the falls are beautiful!

Heat hike at Amicalola Falls.

We started at the visitors center and hiked up to the base of the falls ~ definitely a workout!! You want to have appropriate hiking shoes too or your feet will suffer. The falls were GORGEOUS!!! Definitely recommend!!

It was a great view!!! I would suggest going up the stairs on the way up to have the most view of the Falls. Going down take the East Ridge Loop to visitor center. I would not recommend pets, the stairs have metal grating and would be awful on paws. We did a 2 mile hike into the Hike Inn Trail... got to see a bear.

Trail starts out in the wood and ascends to a gravel road. Once you near the top there are a couple of lookout areas to give you a nice Blue Ridge Mountain landscape perspective. At the top there is an area where you can take stairs down into a designated place to dip in the water — the same water that is about to rush off a cliff (soo cool, literally!). There is a lot of mica and when you swirl your feet you’ll see the twinkling silver. We took the stairs down, which features a couple of observation areas. Don’t miss the giant yellow poplar on the left when you near the end of the falls descend before the trout lake. We chose to extend our hike and also completed the Mountain Laurel trail. Enjoyed this trip a lot.

Great trail !!. Going up was painful. It made me seen how out of shape I am !. But once you there the views are amazing and the waterfall is a must see . It was worth it to awake next day with pain in my legs !!. Is a must do hike !

Beautiful falls but hike wasn't fun.

Great trail. Many beautiful sights along it. Been Multiple times and plan to keep coming back to enjoy this awesome area.

Excellent short adventure. beautiful scenery. well kept trails. The stairs may be a bit much for younger hikers. my 12 year old loved the hike.

This place was beautiful... we did the entire hike down then back up. Way way too many stairs. I recommend doing it once but I will not be back again. Please don’t take dogs. Metal wire stairs likely hurt their feet.

a tough but rewarding hike to the falls. pretty busy around the pond, lots of folks fishing. but not too crowded on a Friday evening before sunset along the trail. passed maybe 4 families and a few couples. the trail was a bit slippery around the pond. can catch a mist off the waterfall, very refreshing. saw a beaver snacking on vegetation on the way down.

Nice and shady. Absolutely beautiful nature. It was a bit crowded around falls which was expected. If you're going on the weekend like I did, I highly recommend getting there early to avoid some of the masses and get good parking.

It’s still beautiful despite the heavy traffic on a Sunday. Took my dog.. will not be taking him again. I don’t know what I was thinking. Not the best place for my mutt. I didn’t take photos..smh.. I was wrapped up in the moment of things and all the people and carrying my dog at times. It was still a nice view..

fee

Great hike! Lots of stairs! Went on a Tuesday not a lot of people! Absolutely beautiful scenery!!

Great warm up before heading out on the approach trail! Park at the top of the falls then take the stairs down. If your not a fan of climbing stairs keep going and take the east loop back to the top of the falls!

Beautiful trail with stunning views throughout, very dog friendly but the stairs at the waterfall can be difficult for some dogs since they have metal slats. Definitely recommend for a fairly quick afternoon hike.

Great trail and amazing waterfall. Pretty busy but still great experience. Lots of steps and rough trails

Beautiful falls! Definitely worth the visit. However, I do not suggest taking your dogs with you! It was very busy, and the dogs that were there looked so uncomfortable. The 400 something stairs are metal slat stairs that were awful for their feet. Also, if you go, please pack out your trash! It was unreal at the garbage people left everywhere...bottles with urine, face masks, and other trash were spotted in several different places. Overall I highly recommend this trail! It was easy, but keep in mind the stairs! If you have bad knees the stairs may not be easy.

This park is SO CROWDED. We went on a Saturday afternoon, which was a huge mistake. Upon entering, we were told that the park was full so good luck finding parking. After 30 minutes or so we lucked up and found a parking space. There were so many people in the park, it was impossible to maintain social distance. PLEASE DON'T TAKE YOUR DOG! There are 600 steps plus the overlook at the bottom of the falls. All of the steps and the overlook are metal grates. It appeared to be really painful for the paws of big and small dogs. I can imagine in the sun the metal would also be very hot. I felt so bad for the dogs we saw going up and down the steps!

Stairs!

Great view and great trail. Took my 2 dogs with me and they have fun. No injuries. Super safe for animals.

Beautiful trail with an amazing waterfall. The steps are long but not too bad.

Great nature views throughout the trail (with shade). Unfortunately, I noticed a lot of trash in some areas :(

Nice, quick hike with a great waterfall and serene views over the North GA foothills. A great workout with lots of stairs to climb.

Much better option than ascending those dreaded stairs. Plea ty of room to walk and enjoy the scenery.