Amicacola Falls Trail

Amicacola Falls Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dawsonville, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a track from the bottom of amicacola falls to the top. From there up to the AT approach trail and back. Fun loop for all. Well marked and the falls are beautiful!

Started on the right side behind the visitor's lodge and hiked up, then took the steps back down. Highly recommend going in the morning before it gets hot and people start flowing in! We were finished around noon (on a Sunday) and the steps were packed with people on our way down. Also as a previous review stated please do not take your dog on the steps! There are so many other ways up or down that are less painful for them.

Great trail! Beautiful view! Super helpful staff.

Took the trail up and the stairs down. The trail was steeper than we expected even though its pretty short. I'd recommend doing the loop the opposite way we did. Love the falls! Was very crowded as expected on a Saturday. There are multiple elevations to park at so its very accessible even if you're not a hiker.

definitely the most beautiful I've ever seen, the stairs are a definite workout!!

The falls are great the hike was very challenging but we loved it!

After walking the many steps downward. Taking in all the beauty of the falls. Got down to the bottom, went into the visitor center to inquire about the way up.
Options: stairs or trail.
Trail chosen. Many times the trail only included BIG rocks. Stopped to lean on trees.
Back to the lodge after about 2 hrs.
Felt great. Then I met a fella that had just completed the Appalachian trail. You see this is the end of the trail. He had been walking for 6 months.
I had a short lived victory. Oh well, so much for my 2 hours.
All in all, it was great!

love it

The stairs are strenuous, but in my opinion, it’s worth it. I loved getting to the top and seeing the waterfall from there. There were also a couple of other trails that you could hike... it’s easy to make a full day there!

This might not be the trail for you if you’re looking for solitude. If you have a dog “do not take the steps up! It will be very painful on their paws! I’m referring to the metal grates in each stair-Please take the trails- there are two/ a western and an eastern loop. Not very difficult on trail.

The hike isn't hard, but when it starts to get steep, it's okay to take a rest. The stairs aren't bad. The view of the waterfall and then the mountains on the other side is SO worth it.

Incredible view of Appalachian trail!

We started at the bottom of the falls and and went up the stairs then down the wooded trail. The only thing I didn't like was. The trail was curved in big loss rocks. Making it very easy to loss your footing.
knowing that now next time I will hike it the other way.

Amazing waterfall! Keep this in mind: there are two ways to get the waterfall. One is via a trail in the woods which you get to by entering the visitor center and going out the back door. The other is via stairs that run next to the waterfall. To get to the stairs you need to go past the visitor center and walk up the road a bit. The trail is fairly steep with some moderate terrain if you are amateurs like us. NOT recommended for dogs or kids. Nonetheless it only takes about 40 minutes to get to the top of the waterfall via the trail. We walked back to the visitors center via the stairs which offers some amazing photo opportunities.

Just beautiful, it was well worth the strain of climbing the steps to the top. I would definitely go again!

Nice view of the falls. If you have a dog you probably want to skip going up the stairs. They are open metal gratings and many dogs wouldn't use them. Actually saw a couple of people having to carry their dog. Makes a strenuous hike into a stressful hike.

The Eastern Ridge portion has some great mountain views but none of the falls. A good portion is a rutted out old gravel road that was more difficult to navigate.

We got a little more workout than planned for a short 2.1 mile hike. 610 foot vertical puts a lot of strain on your calves. The upper section of the eastern loop, is an abandoned, washed out road with large rocks. The lower section is a nice wooded switchback trail. The steps on the western loop are in good shape, mainly made of steel mesh. Great views. Do checkout the lodge. Great spot to sit on the deck and relax.

nice view

My family went here in August. We had 3 adults, 1 toddler and 1 elderly in a wheelchair, most of the paths up to the waterfall have tire rubber and so can take stroller/wheelchair, also lots of opportunity to drive up to top so if you can’t make it. It was gorgeous and we had lots of fun (except it was tough pushing my 200lb grandma in her wheelchair!!) highly recommend it, love how you don’t have to be an avid hiker to enjoy it but you also can be because part of Appalachian trails. Can’t wait until my daughter is older and we get to hike a portion of it’s trail together!

love this trail. My 2.5 year old climbed all the stairs without having to be carried! Beautiful views!!!

love the hike and the upper portions are misted by the falls. it's A'1.

great workout. awesome views

The southeastern portion of the trail, which we took on the way down from the falls was the only portion that actually felt like a “trail”. I have the hike a rating of 5 because of how amazing the falls are. The park is very clean and it’s interesting to see the folks that are making their way to the AT. We added about a mile of the Hike Inn trail to give us some time on the trails. Be prepared to get a great workout climbing the falls. If you want to spend some time in the woods on the real trails, I would recommend parking at the bottom, middle and top sections of the falls to get a few good looks at the falls. I would then spend my time on the AT approach trail starting at the top of the falls. You can also take the Hike Inn trail if you prefer.

Pretty walk. Lots of stairs for a good workout. The falls was beautiful

This was a very cool spot to visit. There is 175 wooden steps to the top of the falls which are the biggest in the state of Georgia. There will be plenty of people enjoying the falls so if you want to be away from people this isn't the spot. You won't forget some of the views and sights and is a must if you're visiting the state of Georgia.

Nice state park. 5$ entry. Very Family friendly and easy to access, hence it's pretty popular. Don't let that stop you from going. Good views. Caught a ranger giving a talk about Owls at the lodge. 15$ buffet, to stuff yourself after hiking. Great view from lodge.

Went to ATKO today. Took the stairs to the top of the falls, which I highly recommend. It’s tough but take your time and it’s not THAT bad. Well work the views. Visit the lodge while you’re up there. Took the East Ridge trail back to the visitors center. Great weather today!!

Such a great area, everything you would need for all ages. Because of this it is extremely busy, I recommend getting there as early as you can to avoid the crowds and kids. $5 parking with lots of available spots. Great for a quick workout or a full day of hiking and picnicking. My personal favorite, if you've already experienced the waterfall before, is taking the East Ridge Trail up the mountain and taking the stairs back down. Definitely broke a sweat and was ready for a break when I got to the top.

Beautiful views and massive waterfall

Beautiful falls. Lots of stairs that can be wet. Close to parking which makes it nice but also means many people.