Point to Point

paddle sports

rails trails

Sunday, July 30, 2017

I had been looking forward to this ride for some time. Started from the north at Gulf Junction Trailhead in Dunnellon. I covered 16 miles to Inverness Trailhead which rolls through Wallace Brooks Park; situated on Lake Henderson.
Riding south it seemed that it was mostly uphill. Only one section do I recall where I didn't have to peddle at all. Mostly flat, cascading through the landscape. There were several patches of large trees overhanging the trail blocking the direct sunlight; almost arbor tunnels. There were also long stretches of open areas where the sun beat down pretty hard. Add the heat from the blacktop and it's a lot different than riding forested dirt trails. Being paved makes it a really neat experience and easy riding.
I figured I would see quite a few people along the way. Turns out only about eight that I passed in sixteen miles. There are several access points and park areas that are connected to this trail. It winds through the back of some residential areas and commercial areas as well. Be careful to obey the STOP Signs. The trail intersects in several places where the traffic is rather busy.
I'm looking forward to covering the rest of this trail. It was casual and fun. I'm sure I'll be posting the southern section soon.