Wekiwa Springs Loop Trail

Wekiwa Springs Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Apopka, Florida and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until July. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

This park has an entrance fee.

Had a nice time! Saw a skink on the white trail, and several birds I’m sure enthusiasts would enjoy as well.

Fun hike! I actually would say it is easy/moderate due to soft sand, tree roots, and sloping path. Beautiful Florida landscapes and most of the trail all you hear is nature, very peaceful.

Easy trail. Park is still cleaning debris from storms but trails are clear and well marked.

It was very nice. We came out to camp cozy and loved where it was at. No one bothered us. For Florida camping it was pretty primitive. They have a bear box and a non-potable water facet. The bear box was my favorit! After the hike in water and snacks awaited us with an awesome note etc! It was so cool so we decided to keep it going

A very nice leisurely stroll. Would recommend if you're visiting the area and want to experience some of the nature.

Watch your step and keep an eye out for lizards!

Watch your step and keep an eye out for lizards!

The 5 mile orange blaze trail was awesome. Really wanted to do the 13 mile white but it wasn't as clearly marked/overgrown

Flat and easy.

Beautiful and well kept trail. I will be returning at least once a week. There are different loops you can take other than the 6.4 mile loop. The one I just took was 13+ miles (white trail).

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Easy flat sandy trail with changes from palm scrub to pine tree terrain. We saw a box turtle on the path. Make sure to bring your swimsuit to cool off at the spring at the end.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

My first time here and loving it. So much to do. Will be bringing the whole family back. Right now just walking on the boardwalk with my son who is 3 months old. So looking for more stroller friendly places. But will come back and do the full trail soon.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Beautiful trail and well marked!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Our favorite part was finding a park that made the whole family feel welcome by allowing the family pet as well. What better incentive to help us all stay active and enjoy nature. It also gives me a chance to teach my grandchildren responsible considerate and kind dog ownership.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

We hiked the orange blazer trail! Easy, fun, and different!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Enjoyable Florida hike through several Florida ecosystems. It's nice to hike through dry scrubs and wetlands all in one short hike.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Bikes are not allowed on this trail.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nice easy flat trail.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Love this and it was great for the dog!

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

This trail is as good as it gets in Central Florida. Great trail well marked. The back part of the trail can get flooded which makes it difficult to navigate and stay on course. At times you made have to use an alternate route/trail to get around.

Monday, November 16, 2015

We had a great two weekends. The first we spent kayaking down the Wekiva River saw many alligators and various species of birds and turtles. Very beautiful picturesque scenery. Hiked the second weekend to the Sand Lake, also beautiful, the only down side is the trail borders a road that kind of takes you out of your walk through nature for a moment.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The trail was great, though watch out for the wild turkeys. Those things are mean.....

Monday, August 24, 2015

ZafassZesiSeXeSZzzssd

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Fantastic hike. I had no idea that something this good was so close to Orlando.

Great with dogs and didn't run into another person on the hike. A must do and one I will be doing many times.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Excellent

Thursday, June 12, 2014

loved it very much

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Friday, June 06, 2014

loved it

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

This is a nice trail if you are trying to get some miles in however the views are just OK. There is a nice mix of terrain going from shaded brush to open scrub. I saw two small deer early on in my hike otherwise the only Florida wildlife I encountered were mosquitoes, spiders, horse flies and lizards. Watch for spider webs if you are hiking early. (which I recommend as it gets hot, fast) Also make sure you bring a colored map which are available from the ranger station or at the trail head since some of the signage is not the best and there are points where the trail splits and can get confusing. There is an additional loop of the white main trail around sand lake that I did not do so you have to be in the lookout for that. The trail on the back end is composed of a lot of sugar sand that can get frustrating to hike in especially if you are getting tired.

Otherwise a nice trail and would definitely recommend.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

This was one of my favorite and very frequent places growing up..I first hiked this trail when I was about 9 and most recently hiked it at age 41. It is an excellent representation of true Florida...flooded areas are common, a variety of insects, snakes etc. The variation in habitats as you complete this trail is amazing. Take your time and plan on the better part of the day to really enjoy this trail. And don't miss the canoeing either!

Thursday, July 04, 2013

First of all let me correct some of my fellow reviewers on some things about this trail.

1. 13.5 miles, in Florida, through dense trails that I would say at at times hard to follow. And you think that this is a good trail for kids? Unless by kids you mean kids that are perhaps 13+ I mean come on just making a little kid walk 13.5 miles would be bad enough, now throw in uneven terrain, mud or just walking in brackish water, mosquitoes, horse flies, torrential Florida thunderstorms and that just sounds like a great time with the kids.

2. The trail is shaded most of the time. Someone needs to look up their definition of "most" or did you forget those long stretches of walking through a green mile(s) of long pines and palmettos?

Now a critique of the "Trail info" I pretty much figured this was wrong going in. The average person (on a treadmill / level surface) walks from 3.5 -4.0 miles per hour. So if you are walking at 4 miles an hour how long is it going to take you to do 13.5 (yes 13.5 listed at the trail head, not 13) miles. The answer: about 3.5 hours. Now this is to say that you didn't stop to take a break, eat lunch, take a picture, go to the bathroom, etc. Then throw in that the trail is often (during the summer months) very wet or flooded, that you often have to stop at intersections to make sure that you are on the right trail still (I even had to double back once), pick through some of the denser spots of the trail etc. I guess what I am asking is what "Superman" is doing this trail in 2.5 hours. If you are planning on doing the entire trail i would give yourself no less than 5-6 hours.

With all that said; I walked about 4 miles out from the second trail-head where they have an equestrian trail and doubled back after walking more than a mile through water (flowing and standing), mud up over the tops of my shoes and often getting my feet stuck into the very slippery mud. I simply knew that under those conditions that I would not make 13.5. There is a lot of wildlife before I had gone my first mile I had already seen numerous birds including a beautiful hawk and had a deer walked right out in front of me, look at me and keep going. There are black bears in the area and on my way back in the mud i did find some juvenile prints, only about 4-5 inches across. I also came across some fresh raccoon prints.

As one of the previous reviewers said do not forget the sunscreen I wore mine and reapplied and still got a little red. And do not forget the bug spray, in the muddier parts of this hike the mosquitoes and horse flies can be relentless (I forgot mine so speaking from experience, not sure if I was so tired at the end from the hike or all the blood I lost).

Also if you are doing this hike during Florida's hurricane / tropical season prepare to get wet. I got caught for about the last half hour of my hike in what I later found out was a thunderstorm producing small hail, I thought it felt good. But I was glad to have a couple of waterproof pouches for my cellphone, wallet etc.