For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Tosohatchee Wildlife Management Area Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(55)
Christmas, Florida

Tosohatchee Wildlife Management Area Loop Trail is a 18.6 mile loop trail located near Christmas, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 18.6 mi Elevation gain 82 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

A Daily-Use Permit is required to enter this area, unless you have purchased a Wildlife Management Area Permit. The area is open to public access year round. Facilities: Office; restroom; check station (operated seasonally); primitive group and equestrian camping areas

3365 Taylor Creek Rd, Christmas, FL 32709 (407) 568-5893 Website: http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/wmas/lead/tosohatchee

ocated in Orange County, about 25 miles east of Orlando, near the community of Christmas. From the north: Exit I-95 at S.R. 50 (Exit 215) and take S.R. 50 west to Taylor Creek Road. Turn left (south) onto Taylor Creek Road. The entrance is on the left (east side), approximately 2.8 miles north of S.R. 520. From the south: Exit I-95 at S.R. 50 (Exit 201) and take S.R. 520 west to Taylor Creek Road. Turn right (north) onto Taylor Creek Road. The entrance is on the right (east side), approximately 2.5 miles north of S.R. 520. From Orlando: Take S.R. 50 east to Taylor Creek Road. Turn right (south) onto Taylor Creek Road. The entrance is on the left (east side), approximately 2.8 miles south of S.R. 50.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (55)
Photos (71)
Recordings (49)
Completed (64)
Madison Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2020

Grassy south, eh

View Madison's Recording
Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Horseback ridingBugs

Great ride today. Just a little buggy.

Michael Bramson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2019
Scenic driving

nice, easy drive with wildlife such as flowers and gators. 4x4 is suggested due to mud and sugar sand is some places. there is a walk way around a lake that was very nice.

Trent Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
Hiking

Wouldn't bother going off the rock road if on bike.

View Trent's Recording
Alyssa Baewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grown

not a lot of shade. actual trails are overgrown so we just stayed on the dirt road. Bring lots of water!

View Alyssa's Recording
Stephanie Thelen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2019

Flies horrible

View Stephanie's Recording
Morgan Trails
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 5, 2019
Hiking

Great hike, but at the moment the forest trails are quite flooded. I’d suggest waiting until they dry a bit if you’re thinking of heading out for a hike off the dirt roads. I did it anyways but at some points the water was calf deep.

Tori Munro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 9, 2019

Beautiful place. But after our hike there were ticks all over my dog and I. I recommend strong tick repellent for you and your dog!

Bud Martino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 5, 2018
Hiking

The "trails" or grassy roads as they are, are well maintained. My experience with this trail was everything i thought it would be for a Florida trail system. Alltrails only show the drive-able roads and not the trails themselves for some reason and was marked as "moderate" (it's flat) We hiked the Meade trail for about half a mile then took tiger trail for a half mile which is not maintained (due to a storm the previous day i assume) but walk-able. We ran into some local wildlife that wasn't very happy we were there. We came across some Javelina pigs, or maybe baby pigs, no adult sow or boar with them. Then came the spiders!! must have been stirred up from the storm the previous day and they are jumpy to say the least. The first spider we came across was a "Golden orb weaver" Biggest one I've ever seen that wasn't behind glass. The web was completely blocking the trail like it was waiting for me or something. Trail was at least 8 feet wide and the spider was as big as my hand. (not a lie!!) The second spider looked like a wolf spider, It was hairy and as big as the diameter of a pop can and jumped at us, thus ending my hiking trip in Florida. I do not like spiders in the first place and I'm use to them in the Pacific Northwest. I had a good time but I think I will stick to the trails in the northwest region.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2018
Hiking

Very wet be sure to bring your trekking poles. As always, I wish I had more time. It was lovely. I took the myrtle trail. I started the one way in the back, but it looked a little too wet for the short time that I had. Little did I know that the myrtle trail was also quite wet. But I love these parks for no one is! Yes it rained, yes it’s humid, yes it’s hot, it’s also wonderful. And a few mosquitoes

Heather Horwitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 24, 2018
Hiking

Nice trail. Liked the orange trail beat!

Diana Swapp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2018
Scenic driving

There are many trails but chose the drive. We will be back to do the trails. Plenty of wildlife to see; Alligators, water foul, blue herons, snow egrets, turtles, cardinals, woodpeckers, and turkeys.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 9, 2018
Hiking

I parked it to myrtle parking lot and took the trail there. You walk in about 4/10 of a mile on a grassy Road and then you can go left or right and beyond a nice hiking trail. Make sure you look at the signs on the tree, the orange marks, because the truth is pretty messy at some points and Verizon and two other places then the orange marking tree there’s a little bridge and some boards you can walk over.. I walked slowly this time, and I’m glad I did, there a lot of limbs on the ground. And you can Easley trip.When you walked on the grassy Road, you’ll see some beautiful pines some beautiful cabbage palms and the effects of fire. You can see only did a couple miles, but that’s all I had time for today. So a lot of butterflies. And there is a trail to the west of the parking area that I completely missed of course so I just have to come back again

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 20, 2017
Hiking

This looks like a very interesting place to trails. I just found a brief time here. Make sure you watch the trees for the trail. Because the trail it’s not very worn down itself. But the markings on the tree are fantastic.

Alison Schultz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2016
Mountain biking

We actually have hybrid bikes that we like to ride on roads and paved trails. This was a great area for our ride. Stop and check in at the entrance and its $3 cash self pay, leave envelope and take tear off receipt for your car dash. Make sure to sign in and sign out - and pick up one of their maps (I uploaded a copy here) I have been unable to find another map that shows the roads as well. but the map did cut off some of the hiking trails so be sure to bring your own for the river trail. We came two different weekends. First time we parked at #9 and rode down powerline road until it ends at the St Johns and we watched some airboats on the water. A wildlife officer was parked there. No shade along the road, couple of one lane wood bridges. Nice hardpacked crushed shell roads. The grass parking areas will fit only a couple of cars, but there are many parking areas so no problem finding a space. The next visit we parked at #7 and did a loop of the roads was about a 19 mile ride. If you have gaia gps I uploaded a track there. Long bluff and Fish hole roads have more shade. There is a great little lake at the south end of the property Lake Charlie that has pavilions, a small fishing pier, restrooms and space to launch kayaks and non motorized boats. There is an area along fish hole road that obviously floods as they have a measuring stake alongside the road so you can tell how deep the water is. When we were there it was dry. Long bluff road had some sandy areas but it had rained recently so it was well packed and we were fine on our bikes. Might get a little loose if its very dry. Excellent well managed WMD they do some controlled burns. It was really cool to see such a variety of ecology - from swamp blooming with wild flowers by the st johns to more dry oak hammocks. To pine and palmettos, We will return!

Jackie Summers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2015
Cross Country Skiing

I only went in half a mile or so both ways. It's pretty wet. Some area the water is ankle deep. I didn't bring mucks. Very secluded with a deep woods feel. Some was over grown but tree markers helped. Great for a group!

J C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2015
Hiking

Tosohatchee WMA protects a remote, rugged and wild stretch of the St. Johns River floodplain, with large expanses of palm hammock, pine flatwood, and old-growth oak and cypress forest for hikers to explore. (OutInTheBoonies.com has a good trail map: http://www.outintheboonies.com/Tosohatchee/topo_map_north.jpg.) We tried the "White Loop," an 11.7 mile hike following the Florida Trail clockwise from the intersection of Powerline and Fish Hole Roads (parking) to a junction just past Tiger Branch campsite, where a white-blazed connector trail heads north to return you to the same leg of the Florida Trail you started out on, about 2.2 miles northwest of your car. (FloridaHikes.com has a nice description of this route: http://floridahikes.com/white-loop-tosohatchee.) It's an excellent hike, with one major caveat: when the river is high, Tosohatchee gets REALLY wet--we were in ankle-to-calf-deep water more than half the way, which sapped a lot of time and energy, leaving us less able to relax and savor the surroundings than we would've liked. If you're not from the area, I'd suggest calling ahead to ask about trail conditions, and allowing lots of extra time for your hike. Of course, as with most anywhere in Florida, bring insect repellent along, too.

Devon Dovgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 15, 2014
First to Review

Awesome place to explore and go hiking. I love to bring my dogs here. The WMA is huge so you can be sure you don't have to see the same parts twice/barely any people around. Take care to not be in hunting areas on specified times. Beware there are tons of ticks!!

Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Tanya Severson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Kathleen Lind
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
View Kathleen's Recording
Tanya Severson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
Lisa Sheldon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 9, 2020
View Lisa's Recording
Deb Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020