Torreya Trail

Torreya Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bristol, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round.

great trail, went in January and weather was very nic. The trail was well maintained and cared for. surprisingly there was a decent amount of with flowers out as well.

Well marked, adequately maintained. Runnable in parts. Some nice views. Unusual for FL in the elevation changes. $3 for parking.

We camped out one night at the bluffs site. The site was spacious, though slightly challenging to find a flat spot to set up the tent. We were also disappointed in the "bluff." It was more like a steep hill going down to the water, and you could barely see the water through the thicket. One awesome feature was that they had pre-bundled wood near the campsite which meant we didn't have to search for it.

The trail was well maintained. We completed the loop the next morning right under 2 hours without our packs. It was a pretty easy hike overall.

Great hiking! The water levels were very high, so unfortunately parts of the trail closest to the river were taped off and unavailable. Beautiful views and fun educational bits along the trail make this a great trail for little ones.

Perfect day, good to prep for the AT, marathons, or any extreme sport. Mosquitos are a problem if walking or standing still!

We camped several days, the staff was great! Rode bikes and hiked with the kiddos. We all had fun!

This is an approximately 1.3 mile trail to Rock Bluff campsite. You can choose the shorter 0.87 mile route along a dirt road to the same site but the longer version is more interesting. You can always loop back to the trailhead on the dirt road. The campsite offers three individual tent sites. Site one overlooks the Apalachicola River and you get a nice breeze.

Just before you reach the campsite is a port-a-potty and there is a cage with firewood for purchase (pay at the park office attached to the Gregory House).

This is perhaps the best marked trail I've ever been on.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Awesome trail

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Amazing hike! Lots of different ecosystems. Lots of wildlife. Definitely returning to do the other part of the trail. The Rangers are extremely nice and professional. Get ready for a couple of steep climbs.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Monday, May 16, 2016

This trail is a little under 7 miles long and it's about what you'd expect for NW Florida except there is some elevation change. One of the primitive camp grounds is called "Rock Bluff" which is pretty self explanatory. The ranger and campground host talked it up like it was pretty tough. I had planned on camping at the bluffs but I wanted a workout so I took the long way around - about 5 miles from the parking area to my camp site. I got there way earlier than I expected and it was only another mile and a half or so back to the parking area so I just finished the trail and went home. The trail itself is not breathtaking but it does have some neat features including the bluffs, some other rock features, plenty of streams and footbridges, tons of plant life (and tons of bug life...TAKE BUG SPRAY), etc. I was disappointed with the bluffs. I expected to be able to sit on the bluffs with a nice view of the river but it was all grown up with trees and other plants and I couldn't really see much (partly why I decided to just go home). I may go again one day if I just want to get some fresh air and exercise - there's a second trail called the Torreya Challenge. Lastly, for reference: I hiked with a ~40 lb pack and finished the whole thing in about 3.5 hrs. I used the all trails app and it says my total moving time was 2:19. I'm 29, in decent shape, and have a fair amount of experience hiking under a loaded ruck. I stopped a couple times for water breaks and to take a couple of pictures but other than that I didn't really stop and I was moving at a decent pace (app says average speed was 3 mph).

Friday, May 13, 2016