Torreya Challenge

Torreya Challenge is a 12.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bristol, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2086 feet

Directions from Bristol, FL: Take Route 12 northeast to Route 1641. Distance is approximately 13 miles. (There are signs on Interstate 10, exit 24.) After entering the park, trailhead parking is the first left. Or continue to the end of the park road and begin the trail south of the Gregory House.

Lots of fallen trees currently, also the connector to the challenge is difficult to read and follow. Hike turned out to be roughly 16 miles wish I would of known before hand.

This is a 10.5 mile trail from the picnic area including the connector trail. I understand the right loop to be the challenge trail. I love Torreya and considered it quite an accomplishment to finish since I am 58 years old. Gorgeous trails in good condition and the benches helped. Best completed in cooler weather January through March. The connector trail was actually rougher than the challenge trail. The maps are accurate too. A wonderful experience if you're in shape.

Such a beautiful trail and very well maintained. Wish I could've hiked further but it was getting dark. There was a bathroom along the trail which was convenient

Excellent winter hike and overnight experience for young families and first time hikers to try out equipment.
Lots of deer, Barred Owls (even a nighttime hootenanny!).
One mile hike in to the best river view sites; can also hike 3 or 4 miles to remote sites. I've done 7 or 8 one and two nighters here, usually in January.
Water, firewood, toilets convenient.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

A nice challenging hike. We went on an extremely hot day so that added to the fun. Saw turkeys, deer, snakes, box turtles and plenty more. Can't wait to go back.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Great hike. 2 miles in to the trail to reach the start of the challenge. Also, saw and waited on a family of 6 wild boar to finish eating.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Including the connector trail that connects the two loops, the entire trail is actually closer to 14.2 miles. I did this trail twice in preparation for a 40 mile Appalachian Trail hike (Dick's Creek Gap, Georgia to Winding Stair Gap, North Carolina) and it's the best training run I think you can find in Florida for that type of hike.

Other challenges the trail provided - swarms of bugs whenever we stopped. Load up on bug spray in the Spring and Summer. Also, I almost stepped on a Copperhead while on the connector trail. It moved when one of my trekking poles landed near it or I would have stepped right on it as it was right in the middle of the trail, blending in beautifully (until it moved).

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

So is the torryea challenge the right loop? or both loops? Where do I find a map with the campgrounds designated.
Thanks

Thursday, February 18, 2016

I would definitely recommend checking Torreya out! I loved the variety in terrain that it has to offer. The hiking trails lead you along a creek, out into an open plain and along the river and up steep hills. Just watch out for giant spiders chillin on their webs if you leave the trail!

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Awesome trail more moderate than easy I'm in Boy Scout about 45 min away and hiked the entire loop then went back to the other trail and hikes to the campsite awesome views and scenery lots of running water potable water and maps are available at the trail head lots of elevation change I recommend trekking poles if you are carrying a 65+ liter pack lots of bridges and at one point you have to cross a shallow creek overall an awesome trek and great trip

Tuesday, October 20, 2015