The Florida Trail Segment 18: Green Swamp East Trailhead to Richloam Fire Tower

The Florida Trail Segment 18: Green Swamp East Trailhead to Richloam Fire Tower is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Polk City, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We drove over from Tampa and met a friend coming in from Sanford. The trails were more extensive than that which is reflected here. There is a decent map at the trailhead but we would recommend that you take a picture of it as there are no hardcopy maps to take with you. There are decent trail indicators here. Be aware that some of the trails adjacent to the controlled burn areas are very torn up due to the heavy equipment that they use to control the fires. This means that the trails are very uneven with soft sand. Easy to turn agn ankle with the proverbial two steps forward and one step back. When we got out of the area of the controlled burns the trail was much more enjoyable. Also, the trailhead references “Hampton“ entrance and that made us wonder if we were at the right place. Given that the trails are much more extensive than reflected on this trail you may want to try out some of the other options to see if the hiking is a more enjoyable.

It was too hot for me today 93 to really enjoy the trail, I did however see a deer and my first alligator, the deer ran right towards me, than past me like I wasn't even there right on the straight hard pack road that begins the trail. The gator was in a small green swamp almost back to the y of the trail. It's quite sandy hiking the loop and not much for shade.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

nice trail well marked .GPS is wrong for the entrance. You need to go farther west.