Sweetwater Creek and Juniper Creek

Sweetwater Creek and Juniper Creek is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Holt, Florida. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and canoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Fun hike. After the first half mile or so the trail meets the river and then flirts with it for the next couple of miles, bringing you right up to it several times throughout the hike. It is part of a larger trail and so there's not exactly a turn around point, I went another mile or so past the end of the trail on the app. The trail is well cut and very well marked. It was muddy and wet at some points but nothing that could not be avoided. Decent amount of roots.

Lots of mosquitoes but they were only bad when I stopped moving. Were also a decent amount of spiders with large webs right next to the trail. I saw 4 different kinds of mushrooms although I have no idea what kind they are. I also saw several deer including a fawn. Had the entire trail to myself.

The shelter and geocache were cool to see.

Absolutely my favorite hike in the NW Florida Panhandle. And recently made even better because there has been a new trail segment cut into the brush that starts at the trail head parking area and intercepts the trail. So, now you don't have to walk along the road to get to the trail head if you park in that area!

The trail follows the creek after the first half mile or so. It can be heavily trafficked on a Saturday morning in the summer, but other than I see few people. The trail is technically a northern offshoot of the Florida trail, so you can go as far as your heart desires to the south, or Alabama to the north. After about 4-5 miles to the south the trail veers from the creek and gets hot and boring fast. If you want to do a through hike, bring a friend and park a car at the Blackwater State Park roadside river parking lot to the south, and then drive back up to Red Rocks road to the trail head.

My pup loves this trail as it has plenty of space to run and spots to take dips in the cool creek. I've surprisingly never had to use bug spray on this hike. You would think with such close proximity to water there would be tons of mosquitos, but maybe one or two at a time. I don't stop much while hiking though, so that probably helps.

geocaching

Beautiful hike with a mixture of open areas, swampy lands, and dense forest. Be prepared to use a lot of insect repellent to repel the man eating mosquitoes and bring lots of water!

We hiked some unmarked trails around the river. Lots of spiderwebs, that my fiancé made me walk through lol. We finally got on the main trail.
Very quiet once you get a little away from the road the wind through the trees was beautiful.
We went toward the river and found those clay cliffs. They are A-Lot bigger than they seem
In the pictures. Love the elevation differences.
We didn't get to go too far because of time constraints, will be going again.

love the Sweet water trail beautiful boardwalk great for pushing kids in a stroller...

GORGEOUS hike for Florida. I wasn't able to hike out too far on it because of time constraints, but it was super peaceful. You first have to hike down the road a little ways to get to the trailhead, but after getting into the woods a little ways there is no other noise except of the forest. This is not a typical pine tree/mini palm hike that I have encountered in florida. The entire hike runs along the creek and has plenty of large hardwoods and spots to sit down and enjoy the quiet. Highly recommend doing this hike, especially early in the morning or late in the evening.

We walked about 3 mi south and then chose to make a loop rather than walk back to the parking on Red Rock Rd. I enjoyed the hike very much.

Good local place to go get a good sweat in. The trail more or less parallels the creek.

Good hike! Kid and dog friendly as well. Will definitely be doing it again when it's warmer just to be able to enjoy the river after working up a sweat.