Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Susan Wright Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gainesville, Florida that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Loop

I’ve hiked this trail a bunch, this was the first time it was completely dry & there were no wet spots. Usually there’s some treacherous off path navigating depending on how flooded it is. Caveat, I came across an easily 5’ diamondback in the middle of the trail & almost jogged over it, you definitely need to be on your toes & leave your puppy at home till it cools off again.

one of the top trails near Gainesville

Makes for an exciting mountain biking trip. Trail is clearly marked out. I followed the orange blaze trail to the creek. Riding the bike on top of the wooden planks through the cypress swamp is awesome.

We wanted to get out of the house today and do some hiking. This trail was mostly shaded and a little bit buggy. When we got the the end at the creek, the water level was really low, I'd assume that in the summer parts may be under water, however we had no problems today. Plenty of parking at the trailhead!

Great place! Theres a couple different trail options (other than the susan wright trail) that we ended up taking. Excited to come back and explore more!

Hiked the white and the orange trails on 2/22. Though it rained a couple of days before the trail was in good condition. Well marked and clear. Very little mud. Very pleasant.

Enjoyable trails, enjoyed walking barefoot on much of it.

great little area near Gainesville. was fairly dry when I went but would be very muddy and flooded after more rain. several trails connect here, not just one loop. I did all of them and was probably closer to 9 miles. ohhh, and I also met the fiddle player. his name is Jim I think and he's a super nice guy. was so cool to hear the music coming through the woods as I got close.

via ferrata

Perfect short, easy trail close to Gainesville.

flooded

Great trail! Easy hike except for the wet parts walking over boards. Some of the boards are very soft and there was a water snake next to the board where we had to hustle by. The views are great and the length is just right. We did the 4.8 mile white/red loop. At the half way point there is a picnic table.

The trail is so beautiful! It’s been raining the last couple days and a lot of the trail is wet, but it’s not very deep, a foot at the most in the deepest places. I recommend bringing waterproof hiking shoes or just dealing with it and changing your shoes when you get in the car. It’s a gorgeous hike though.

Would recommend during the fall months. Today’s hike was perfect, even after the amount of rain we had last night. Took our small dog with us and he handled it without problems. Stumbled upon a man playing his fiddle. Will be back.

Great trail. A lot of the natural water filled areas have dried up. There are some wooden bridges placed to avoid the super wet areas. Very well marked trails. Highly recommended!

bug spray and water required. nice walk.

Thu Dec 27 2018

A pretty little isolated surprise close to town. But! Completely soaked and washed out trail. I mean, parts of the trail were running like creeks. That’s how much water. Plan on waterproof shoes for the whole family. Or just find your happiness despite your wet feet.

Sun Jun 24 2018

This could be a nice hike in Nov-February but I made the mistake of hiking it in June. Hot and humid 7:30-9:30am. There’s 8 foot bridges to get you over the swamps. There needs to be about 5 more. I got my shoes and socks soaked! Go in the dry season, you”ll be glad you did!

Sun May 06 2018

Great Hike - I took the white trail from the Witness Tree entrance. This trail goes through a pine plantation and past some wetlands. There are 3 boardwarks. I went past where the white trail crosses the yellow trail (more like a forest or farm road) until coming to the orange trail. By this point, the forest changes to hardwoods. One turns left down to Prairie Creek but I turned right. The orange trail here runs along an old logging tram. I walked to the other entrance of the park and then backpedaled a few steps to the yellow trail (i.e., the farm or forest road). I took this back to the white trail, turned left and walked back to my car - 2.9 miles total. The white trail and portions of the yellow trail can be hot - there is not shade everywhere but the experience is a wonderful one. The trail is often grass-covered and easy to walk. I only passed one group - two bikers - and the hike otherwise was solitary and beautiful.

Sat Apr 07 2018

Path was great! Birds chirping boardwalk over the swampy area well maintained’

Sat Feb 24 2018

This trail is pretty great. After about .5 miles you can't hear the cars anymore, which was a big concern for me stating off. I took the full loop, which was nice, but the main draw is the boardwalk towards the end. For about 100 yards you'll surrounded by swamp and cypress trees. It's magic. If you go further down to the end you see Prairie Creek which is really neat. There's a lot of down trees throughout the last bit of the hike so it's easy to lose the trail. I spent some time exploring the floodplain and the creek. The only time I saw anyone was the 3 kayakers who were heading down the creek. They had no clue there was a hiking trail back there, which I think is the common understanding. No one I know has been there and I'm sure why. It's a pretty easy hike and I can't tell you enough how amazing that last board walk is.

Fri Nov 10 2017

It’s normally a great hike, but since the hurricane there is a lot of debris on the trail and hogs have tore up some areas. Hike carefully.

Sat May 27 2017

pretty good trail for Florida. Goes through several ecosystems. Some parts are very overgrown. Seems lately used and not many people come here. Lots of Wildlife: snakes, dear, rabbits, and even saw a small alligator.