Susan Wright Trail

Susan Wright Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rochelle, Florida that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This could be a nice hike in Nov-February but I made the mistake of hiking it in June. Hot and humid 7:30-9:30am. There’s 8 foot bridges to get you over the swamps. There needs to be about 5 more. I got my shoes and socks soaked! Go in the dry season, you”ll be glad you did!

Great Hike - I took the white trail from the Witness Tree entrance. This trail goes through a pine plantation and past some wetlands. There are 3 boardwarks. I went past where the white trail crosses the yellow trail (more like a forest or farm road) until coming to the orange trail. By this point, the forest changes to hardwoods. One turns left down to Prairie Creek but I turned right. The orange trail here runs along an old logging tram. I walked to the other entrance of the park and then backpedaled a few steps to the yellow trail (i.e., the farm or forest road). I took this back to the white trail, turned left and walked back to my car - 2.9 miles total.

The white trail and portions of the yellow trail can be hot - there is not shade everywhere but the experience is a wonderful one. The trail is often grass-covered and easy to walk. I only passed one group - two bikers - and the hike otherwise was solitary and beautiful.

Path was great! Birds chirping boardwalk over the swampy area well maintained’

This trail is pretty great. After about .5 miles you can't hear the cars anymore, which was a big concern for me stating off. I took the full loop, which was nice, but the main draw is the boardwalk towards the end. For about 100 yards you'll surrounded by swamp and cypress trees. It's magic. If you go further down to the end you see Prairie Creek which is really neat. There's a lot of down trees throughout the last bit of the hike so it's easy to lose the trail. I spent some time exploring the floodplain and the creek.

The only time I saw anyone was the 3 kayakers who were heading down the creek. They had no clue there was a hiking trail back there, which I think is the common understanding. No one I know has been there and I'm sure why. It's a pretty easy hike and I can't tell you enough how amazing that last board walk is.

It’s normally a great hike, but since the hurricane there is a lot of debris on the trail and hogs have tore up some areas. Hike carefully.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

pretty good trail for Florida. Goes through several ecosystems. Some parts are very overgrown. Seems lately used and not many people come here. Lots of Wildlife: snakes, dear, rabbits, and even saw a small alligator.

Saturday, November 05, 2016