Split Oak Forest Green Trail

Split Oak Forest Green Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orlando, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Split Oak Forest is a nearly 2,000-acre area located in south Orange and north Osceola counties. Split Oak Forest is part of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Mitigation Park Program. Split Oak was purchased in 1994 through a cooperative agreement involving the Florida Communities Trust, Orange County, Osceola County, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The previous land-owners managed the area for cattle and forest resources. Split Oak Forest is currently managed to enhance and preserve the habitat of the gopher tortoise, a state listed species, along with the other wildlife and plants that inhabit this diverse area. The site is under a fire management program, and visitors have a first hand opportunity to observe the positive effects this practice has on our native plant communities. Wildlife viewing, hiking, and horseback riding are likely to be most pleasant in the fall, winter and in the spring when the weather is cooler and bugs may be less plentiful. Children under the age of 16 are required to wear a helmet when horseback riding on public lands. All horseback riders must have proof of current negative Coggins Test results for their horses when on state lands. While you are on the area, be sure to visit the namesake of Split Oak Forest, a spectacular 200 year-old live oak tree that split down the middle and survived!

The perfect escape in Orlando! Beautiful sights and peacefulness can be found here but do come prepared with water, sunscreen, and a hat. Most of the trails have little shade and can get very hot! Also, make sure you wear shoes that you don't mind getting dirty because a lot of the ground is soft beach like sand. Part of the trail connects to Moss Park and you can find much needed trees and shade in the blue colored trail with a great dock that overlooks a lake.

It's September. It's hot. It's barren of mammals. A sandy slog to see some butterflies, but I was here for the exercise, right? Took the South, then North Green Loop and added in the Blue Lake Loop, for around 6.5 miles. Came to see the Split Oak - but walked right passed it. It wasn't even marked.

Quiet except for the IOA planes heading north. My calves and hamstrings are cursing me from the sandy trails, evident on about 60% of the combined path.

Nice track, just empty of wildlife. If I had fur, I probably wouldn't be out in the sun much, either. (Did spot what appeared to be bobcat prints, along with some deer and small critters.)

Really great Florida wilderness trail! Watch out for the armadillos!

Did the whole loop, great views but not a lot of shade. Will do again!!

Monday, May 02, 2016

Overall great trail but be ready to really hike the trails are covered with extra soft beach sand and it leads to one heck of a workout. Unfortunately the trails have so many smaller trails attached it is easy to get lost. My six mile hike turned into nine. It was beautiful and not too hot for me considering its almost may. I saw Sherman Fox squirrel, white tailed deer and lots of birds. Be carefulful there is a fenced off water portion that I did see baby gators by. No sign of larger ones or the parents though.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Trail was good but not much to it. Mostly open. 3 trials within the park. The lake loop "blue trail" is the best part. All 3 trails are well marked. Footing if OK for running but not great.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Great for a boring stroll. Markings were not very consistent. Only reason I would return is to thank the lady that kept our 5 mike hike (which turned out 7) from turning into indefinite. No wildlife to be filound granted we started at 10. But a butterfly was our wildlife highlight

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

This trail is great and full of life. Perfect shade spots and scenic views.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Great hike! There is not much shaded area so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Honestly I didn't run into any Mosquitos or horse flies. But being bug spray anyway. I completed all three trails and they are great!

Friday, June 05, 2015

Good trail, saw alot of wildlife and got in a good workout. The sandy parts of the trail can be difficult but still fun. Not always well marked but easy to figure out. I will hike this one again for sure.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Of all the Florida trails I've covered this one was close to a nightmare.
We decided to trek around the Green loop and it turned out to be a rather difficult experience. Fortunately I don't panic and have a good sense of direction. The trail was poorly marked and we got off track even when trying to effectively navigate.
There are several places where the markers are totally confusing. We came to three or four sections where the path split in different directions with no indication of which way we should go; we were constantly guessing. At the junction of the entrance to Moss Park there was no indication of which way to go and the trail branched off in four directions. We tried two of them and then back tracked to get our bearings straight. We were totally worn out and eager to get this over, so when we came upon a path (apparently trodden by motor vehicles) we decided to follow that thinking it had to lead to the road. It eventually set us back on the Green path but it was pure luck and determination.
Much of this trail is sand; deep course sand. It was tough going most of the time and took the fun right out of the adventure. We also encountered a lot of muddy and wet areas. Florida trails are not much fun in the summer heat, and this one, in off season is just too wet to consider fun.
We thought it would be a great trail for Biking and turned out we pushed them most of the way. These trails aren't even much good for hiking.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

I started hiking here frequency for exercise. The trail has various subtrails that you can do and hit's a variety of ecosystems. I've seen plenty of deer and armadillos but there also tracks of bob cats and wild pigs.

My number one suggestion is that you consider bringing some waterproof boots if it has been raining. The trails can get flooded by an inch or two.

Also if you are in the area it's right next to the Back to Nature Wilidfe rehabilitation center. For a 5 dollar donation you can see their 'wildlife ambassadors(basically animals that can't be released due to injuries and such).

Friday, December 06, 2013

Center/yellow is easy and I didn't have to walk it bare foot due to the deep sand like last time I was here. Saw a couple of deer. Just so dark out there so fast.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Boring hike. Super easy.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Completed this track with Boy Scouts. Good trail. Easy to do. Well marked trails. I always meet new people on the trail. Must wear shoes, the sand can be very hot if you have open toes or sandals,

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Large wide trails. Very sandy. at point 13 is the center mark I was confused and did both the north & south loop. Sadly my sneakers kept filling up with sand so had to walk portions with out shoes.

Although it was difficult and I'm very soar I really loved it.

Monday, February 18, 2013

I've done this trail a few times now and still find it enjoyable every time I'm out there. The trail is very well marked and maintained, and great for everyone. The northern loop is mostly Live Oaks and hard packed ground. Once you get up near the lake it gets a little soft but, unless you're there in the rainy season, you'll keep your feet dry. The southern loop brings you back down into palmettos and pines, This is a natural habitat for sand hill cranes and gopher turtles. The total outside loop is about 6.5 miles with multiple other trails.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

I ran both loops of Split Oak Forest Trails and then one loop around the perimeter, guesstimating about 14 miles total for the run. There was some smoldering going on from a recent burn and I went off course for a while and got to wade through some marsh - but that was my fault. The trail is nice and easy to run on, you can be as speedy as you'd like without worrying about technicality. No crowds made for a nice escape.