South Lake Trail is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clermont, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 25.1 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

rails trails

Paved trail shared with bikers, runners, and walkers, dog friendly. Goes through Clermont and Minneola, I started at the Minneola Trailhead through the park and field. Goes through some residential and near streets.

Started at Killarney Station & completed the entire South Lake Trail out to Groveland & back, plus did the north/south sections of the Hancock Trail. GPS read a total of 41 miles for the day. The Lake Minneola section of South Lake was spectacular & very busy with joggers, cyclists, strollers, & people walking; reminiscent of Lake Eola Park. Unfortunately, Hancock Trail was underwhelming with minimal shade & no sightseeing, although downtown Orlando was visible on the eastern horizon along the south branch.

OK trail… Paved all the way until you get 2 miles in and then if you go off the path you can go into the frisbee park and be in the woods for about a mile. Not very well covered in hot. It would be great as a bike path.

As suggested, I parked at the Minneola Trailhead Park and hit the bike path. I got the point where I had to make a left or right, so I chose left. WHAT A MISTAKE! About a mile into it, I was met with an incline I couldn't manage on my recumbent bike. I expected the entire trail to be easy, but it's not. Once I stopped to catch my breath, I turned around and hit the trail towards the opposite direction. It was HEAVENLY. The lake is beautiful and the parks are clean and well laid out. I liked seeing that the Historic Downtown was near the bike trail and that there are places to eat and drink. Next time, I'm bringing my spouse for a full day of activities,

We’ve been looking at this trail for a while and decided to drive over from the Tampa Bay area to try it! We parked at the Killarney station ( which was packed and you may have to wait for a space to park!) which has a bike rental place, clean bathrooms and water fountains. Be careful bc there is a playground across from the rental store and there’s a lot of foot traffic going to and from parking lot to the trail. It’s an out and back trail with elevation changes that can be challenging if you’re not used to it like us but it’s fun! Be careful as the trail crosses subdivision entrances/exits - also be careful when coming off a higher elevation with blind turns! The ride around Lake Minneola (?) is busy with a lot of foot traffic but it’s so pretty to stop along the ride and take a walk to the water front. There’s water and public restrooms but I would encourage you to bring plenty of water yourself. There’s also a few places to stop and get a bite to eat. It’s a really nice trail and the word is that it will connect to St. Pete someday which would be great! We would definitely ride this trail again!

Sun Apr 07 2019

I would definitely recommend this trail for biking. The route is scenic and pretty well marked and maintained. I enjoyed the sweeping view of the golf course and beautiful Lake Minneola. I would recommend parking at the Lake in Clairmont as there’s plenty of space available and restroom facilities are public and clean. I felt safe, but did have to use caution when crossing at stop lights and around the kids water park due to high foot traffic.

Sat Feb 16 2019

As far as elevation goes, this was probably the most difficult trail I’ve encountered in central Florida. The views make it well worth it and the lakefront is my favorite part.

Mon Sep 17 2018

WHERE TO PARK! I just moved to the area and spent 30 min just trying to find a place to park and begin the ride. GPS apps take you to different points on the trail. Search Minneola Trail Head for parking!

Sun Jul 08 2018

Simple & Scenic

Sun Oct 08 2017

Lot of friendly people in the trail during the morning time. The trail is well keep and easy to follow. We hike a ten miles loop and enjoyed it very much. Watch for cyclists since they are majorly in the trail. No much to look at while hiking, however for bicycle rides it is great.

Sun May 01 2016

I enjoy this trail. The trees provide shade on hot days. The bathroom facilities are clean.

Thu Feb 07 2013

Nice paved trail. Some elevation involved but easy.

Thu Nov 01 2012

I run this trail all the time. It takes me to the lake and I run around however much of the lake I want to. Nice restroom facilities at Waterfront Park complete with a chilled water fountain. Nice area, safe for running even at night.

Mon Mar 05 2012

Nice trail that hooks up with the West Orange Trail.