Shark Valley Trail

Shark Valley Trail is a 15.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Miami, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 15.8 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

BAD, too hot, no alligators, really bad bikes

Good for all kind of bikes, it’s a paved trail, however I’ll not recommended for your kids since there’s no shade at all and it’s a long trail until you get to the rest area.

The trail was nice had some scenery and the observation tower had good view. But, it was 99 degrees and sunny and there are very few shades areas for breaks.

earlier you go the more wildlife you’re likely to see. they’re not kidding when they say bring your sunscreen and water. the trail is well-paved, so don’t be worried about bringing your road bike.

The first half of this trail is beautiful as there is PLENTY of wildlife. You were for sure see gators! Turtles, fish, birds! Was great. There is a watch tower half way through with a beautiful lookout. Second half is dry land with no shade so make sure you have sunscreen and plenty of water. $15 per person park fee. Pass is good for a week.

We rented bikes to do this trail. We saw probably 15-18 Alligators which was very cool within 10-15 ft away from us. One crossed the path right in front of us. We also saw a lot of birds, blue herons, turtles, fish, etc. It was hot so we brought a lot of water as it’s a 15 mile loop with no shade. We’d do it again for sure. We only biked the 18 miles and not 56. I forgot to stop the recording when we were finished.

recorded Shark Valley Trail

Great trail! A completely paved 15 mile loop. Ton of wildlife, but be sure to bring water!

Absolutely beautiful trail through the Everglades. Bring sunscreen—no tree cover on trail.

Very flat, so the 15 miles goes quick (about 2 hours). Did it in mid-February, but still 85 degrees. No water along the trail, so prep accordingly. Close encounters with a couple dozen gators, beautiful (and large) birds and a few turtles. Great time.

Walked the entire loop but wouldn't do it again. I would walk the west side to the observation tower and then walk back on the same side. I saw lots of fish, birds and gators on the west side and few birds, no fish and 5 gators on the east side. I would bike the whole loop though. Nice outing .

Absolutely no shade so unless you use the tram..avoid during the summer. Did it in 80 degrees in February....got to see a bunch of gators, birds, and turtles.

This trail was amazing! So much wildlife to see! Very easy trail to hike. A lot of bikers in the trail but it is plenty wide so it never felt too crowded. Beautiful hike in the winter, but I don’t think I’d try it in the hot summer.

This trail was a lot of fun. There was excellent birding, got a great view of many alligators, turtles, etc. It is a paved path and fairly heavily trafficked, so definitely not a wilderness experience, but it was a fun way to spend the afternoon and take in some local wildlife.

Great trail for Bikes, hiking it is a bit challenging due to length. Its paved so it gets hot. A lot of gators, thats a main attraction. Also great for bird watching. A lot of tourists. If you have an everglades yearly pass you can use it. Bike rentals, guided tours and office with vending machines. It is very popular.

This was a really nice trail for road biking. Pavement was smooth and even and there were lots and lots of alligators along the way. We quit counting at 50. Tons of wildlife to see including various birds, turtles, etc. etc. Halfway down the trail is the observation tower. It is really nice to look out over the area. However, be aware, you must leave your bike at the entrance to the tower. Do not leave anything with zippers. The crows have learned how to open the zippers and they will take whatever is inside your zippered pouch. When I got back to my bike they had opened my zippered pouch and were pulling out my bike tool kit. I stopped them just before they flew away with it. They are very, very smart. The second half of the ride back is a little boring, not as much wildlife but a nice smooth ride nonetheless. You will enjoy this ride. I would not recommend it in the summer, but the temperature was perfect for a January ride. Also, it was pretty crowded at 10:30 a.m. on a Saturday and we had to wait at the entrance for about 15 to 20 minutes to be let in to get a parking space.

This is an awesome trail that I would recommend for anyone. The best time to go is in the the morning as you will see more wildlife and it’s not as hot. The one downfall is that there isn’t much shade so I would recommend bringing a hat and sunscreen.

Lots of alligators esp in the winter. The return side is kind of boring.

You have to rent a bike, not at all worth hiking cause it’s not a hiking trail, but rather a paved 15 mile loop that has tour buses going through every so often. Lots of aligators and herons. Hot AF no shade. Just whatever

Walked along the canal and after a mile the crowds thinned out and we had most of it to ourselves. Easy walk with lots of wildlife within 20-30 feet of the road. 12/30/18

Started late and walked the wrong side of the loop. Didn't see much of anything because there is no canal/channel, just some marshy areas. Sun was intense too, despite it being December. The next day we hiked along the canal/channel and saw lots of wildlife. After the first mile, the crowds thin out and it is nicer. 12/28/18

We originally were going to rent bikes and ride the trail, however ended up taking a 2 hour tram tour. We are so glad we did. The guides were knowledgeable and shared so much information about what we were seeing. We saw so many types of birds and many gators!!

The biking was great - flat even surfaces that are kept up nicely. Even in November though, it was hot. There's little to no shade until you get to the observation tower. There was little wildlife other than birds common to FL and alligators. If you're a native, there's nothing in way of wildlife that's really going to impress you.

Amazing! It was an experience. Everywhere alligators and much better than the airboat tours!!!