Shark Valley Trail

Shark Valley Trail is a 15.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Miami, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

I give this trail a 5 for the uniqueness of it. Start on the right side and enjoy all the gators. I saw 77 on the day. They say to stay 15 feet away which is impossible. You will be within 5 feet. The tower was kind of 3/5 but interesting to see over the glades. Irmas caused some Serious destruction out there and bathrooms are currently closed although there is still drinking water.

There are mike markers every mile but the whole trail is on pavement shared with cyclists. Great to run/walk but if you’re planning to do the whole thing I would recommend cycling.

It’s amazing place... I love it.

As Michael says: First half of the loop (right side) has a lot of animals (gators, birds, turtles). More than I have seen anywhere else in the park other than at Anhinga Trail at sun set - but 2nd half is just landscape and no animals except a heron or two.
Nevertheless a great trip!

lots of skeeters when you get to tower.

The first half of the loop (right side) is wonderful, with lots of birds and gators to see as you ride through. The observation tower is also great, but the second half of the loop was surprisingly barren and boring.

relaxing and fun! recommend to do in South Florida...

It was an awesome trail but it was a hot day. Recommend bike riding

During the dry season. The first half is good with plenty of things to see. The midpoint tower is a must. So much going on in a small area. The second half there wasn't much to see. I'd recommend using a bike.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Unless you're really into hiking a long way and seeing the same thing, i suggest taking the tram tour (excellent and time efficient) or biking.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

When it comes to hiking and you just like to have a long walk then go for it. If you are into hiking to see nice views don't waste the leg work. For the first 7 miles after the third alligator you've seen enough. The last loop is just grass and swamp on both sides. You are walking on asphalt the whole way. It was just miserable.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

14-mile loop deep into the Everglades and back. Path lined with alligators all the way and back. Best to go during winter to avoid mosquitos.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Decent views. Bring a bike or rent one there!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great flat road trail, best to go in the winter when you see more gators

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I have both walked and biked The 15 miles of Shark Valley. Don't exactly recommend doing it on foot unless you are well prepared with the right shoes etc. Don't be impulsive and wearing just any sneakers and without a real plan decide to do the trail (like me) because you will end up with blisters. As far as scenery goes, I find it pretty bland. You will get over the shock of the Gators eventually and it will all be the same expanse over and over: flat land, no curves. It's not particularly challenging (other than distance) so I am remised to call it a hike! As far as cycling goes, at least it's much safer than the South Florida roads, so I definitely recommend it for a getaway from suburbia/the city on a well-kept trail that is safely tucked away from rampant car drivers.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Very long trail, best done with bikes. Wildlife is abundant here, and bikes can be rented at visitor center. Be sure to stop at the observation tower at the halfway mark. Bring lots of water.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Enjoyed this trail a lot. I went in a group for a full moon ride in late January. We arrived around 5 pm. Temperatures were mid 50's at that point when we began. The best part of this ride was when the sun was setting on one end of the trail, while the moon was rising on the other. The sky was dimly lit and we all stopped to enjoy the view and take pictures. On the ride back it was almost pitch black. We used flash lights to guide the path, while the temperatures had dropped to high 40's. I'm excited to do this trail again before the hot Miami weather returns, but next time during the day.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Loved biking on this trail.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Could get hot and no shadows but a good bike ride

Saturday, October 17, 2015

I guess it all depends when you go. I went in September in the afternoon.
I took the shuttle tour.
I tell you not a bird, not a alligator nothing.
After the first ten minutes it was a shuttle full of bored looking tourist.