Shark Valley Trail

Shark Valley Trail is a 15.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Miami, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

It’s amazing place... I love it.

As Michael says: First half of the loop (right side) has a lot of animals (gators, birds, turtles). More than I have seen anywhere else in the park other than at Anhinga Trail at sun set - but 2nd half is just landscape and no animals except a heron or two.
Nevertheless a great trip!

lots of skeeters when you get to tower.

The first half of the loop (right side) is wonderful, with lots of birds and gators to see as you ride through. The observation tower is also great, but the second half of the loop was surprisingly barren and boring.

relaxing and fun! recommend to do in South Florida...

It was an awesome trail but it was a hot day. Recommend bike riding

During the dry season. The first half is good with plenty of things to see. The midpoint tower is a must. So much going on in a small area. The second half there wasn't much to see. I'd recommend using a bike.

Unless you're really into hiking a long way and seeing the same thing, i suggest taking the tram tour (excellent and time efficient) or biking.

When it comes to hiking and you just like to have a long walk then go for it. If you are into hiking to see nice views don't waste the leg work. For the first 7 miles after the third alligator you've seen enough. The last loop is just grass and swamp on both sides. You are walking on asphalt the whole way. It was just miserable.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Decent views. Bring a bike or rent one there!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great flat road trail, best to go in the winter when you see more gators

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I have both walked and biked The 15 miles of Shark Valley. Don't exactly recommend doing it on foot unless you are well prepared with the right shoes etc. Don't be impulsive and wearing just any sneakers and without a real plan decide to do the trail (like me) because you will end up with blisters. As far as scenery goes, I find it pretty bland. You will get over the shock of the Gators eventually and it will all be the same expanse over and over: flat land, no curves. It's not particularly challenging (other than distance) so I am remised to call it a hike! As far as cycling goes, at least it's much safer than the South Florida roads, so I definitely recommend it for a getaway from suburbia/the city on a well-kept trail that is safely tucked away from rampant car drivers.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Very long trail, best done with bikes. Wildlife is abundant here, and bikes can be rented at visitor center. Be sure to stop at the observation tower at the halfway mark. Bring lots of water.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Enjoyed this trail a lot. I went in a group for a full moon ride in late January. We arrived around 5 pm. Temperatures were mid 50's at that point when we began. The best part of this ride was when the sun was setting on one end of the trail, while the moon was rising on the other. The sky was dimly lit and we all stopped to enjoy the view and take pictures. On the ride back it was almost pitch black. We used flash lights to guide the path, while the temperatures had dropped to high 40's. I'm excited to do this trail again before the hot Miami weather returns, but next time during the day.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Loved biking on this trail.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Could get hot and no shadows but a good bike ride

Saturday, October 17, 2015

I guess it all depends when you go. I went in September in the afternoon.
I took the shuttle tour.
I tell you not a bird, not a alligator nothing.
After the first ten minutes it was a shuttle full of bored looking tourist.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hiked the full paved trail 9/10 make sure to take shoes other than that had a great time saw lots of wildlife. Great experience also make sure to take lots of water if you are going to hike

Thursday, July 02, 2015

One of my very, very favorite places to bike in South Florida! ON a scorching June day, at noon, we took the trek to the tower and back - totally worth it! Had a little rain in the afternoon but otherwise, VERY active animals on the path (alligator literally stopped on that path!), turtle, birds, a snake to name a few. Drink LOTS of fluids! We did see several people passing out from the heat, one picked up by a park ranger and another family walked too far and had to 'tram' it back. Totally worth the day's trip, the entire loop.
The only downfall is we miscalculated the '7 day free' fee - bought on Saturday, came back on a Saturday ("That makes 8 days!" said the attendant - had to pay all over again, but it was worth it!)
In cooler weather, this is an absolute must to ride bikes.
If you don't have one, you can rent one - but at $9 an hour PER BIKE and the trail taking 2-3 hours, you may want to bring your own like we did :)
Happy Trails!