Learn more

Seminole State Forest Trail is a 12.6 mile loop trail located near Eustis, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 12.6 mi Elevation gain 219 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Camping Fishing Hiking Road biking Walking Bird watching Running Forest Lake Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs
Description

Photos (230)
Recordings (48)
Completed (80)
Diana St Ledger-Roty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
Bird WatchingGreat!

This is one of my favorite trails. I stick to the trails since I don’t care for the road hike nearly as much. The scenery is beautiful and clearly marked and maintained. There are some side trails, so you can change your scenery and not take the same route every time. Sinkhole and ponds are interesting.

Thomas DiPietro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Thomas's Recording
Kim K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 15, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!

Was only able to do a couple miles in and out, 1/2 shaded, didn’t see wildlife or water, stayed on the main road (currently blocked off to car traffic), saw side trails would like to explore those on another trip.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

I always see something different. This time I took a small side trail and saw a little boardwalk. Next time I may try part of the new Florida Trail and see what it’s like

Brooke Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Horseback ridingBugs

Paola loop is best for winter, walking Blue Loop to Paola entrance is good for summer for us.

View Brooke's Recording
Tim Carpenter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

If you hike this trail, stick to the orange blazes wherever possible. Otherwise you're looking at a 6.5 mile walk along a series of hard-packed dirt roads that people may also be driving on to reach camp sites or a canoe/kayak launch along the way. This are is also used for hunting and there is an entrance fee but it's being waived during the COVID crisis. The orange trail does indeed follow the road for a while, but most of it runs through pine forest or scrub and is a lot more interesting than the road walk. There are restrooms at either end of the trail but they're closed as of late June due to the crisis. Bring a lot of water too. I came from the Cassia trailhead, went end-to-end and back, and there seems to be more shade on the Cassia side off Highway 44.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
WalkingBugs

I got to the animal blind. I just barely missed it on the last walk. Saw a couple people driving their trucks on the road. One guy had this iPhone out the window so I must be in someone’s video now. Three adult deer ran across the path and I actually got to see them in total not just their tails. Met a nice young man he had a notebook, and said he saw a couple deer and a fawn . And also I believe he said a copperhead. He asked me if I was hiking the Florida trail. I must’ve looked really tired because I was. Someday!

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Walking

Update: I found several Lonestar ticks on me when I got home. They have a small white dot on their back. They can give you the similar bull’s-eye to Lyme disease but it’s not as bad. It’s treated with anabiotic‘s. I know I had it about two years ago I tried to find the bird blind that I saw on my last visit here. But I think I got off the wide dirt path into the woods too quickly. There’s just something about being in the woods it’s wonderful. In this place has a lot of different options. So next time I’ll find the bird behind. No mosquitoes yet. Which is nice. Be sure to bring water and a hat of course. I saw some deer early on. And I find the trees struck by lightning interesting

Jonathan Landwer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020
Mountain bikingMuddy

Made a “just before sundown” run from Trailhead to (start and finish) Lako Loop, and back. A couple right hand turns headed out, a medium-sized adult American Black Bear crosses the gravel road in front of me. A few gasps for extra oxygen and a bloodstream full of endorphins ignited the turbo and i was gone... two more right hand turns and i’m thinking as the crow flies he might show up again up in front of me. I put my head down and hustled out hastily.

View Jonathan's Recording
Janene Hodgkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Trail was open yesterday and in great condition. Few people, mostly shaded, elevation changes and lovely views. Even a sulphur spring and tiny waterfall.

Eugene Hudnall
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2020

trail is closed!!!!

Louis Feinsod
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2020
HikingClosedFloodedMuddyNo shadeOff trailPrivate propertyRockyScrambleSnowWashed out
View Louis's Recording
Jessica Earleywine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 24, 2020
HikingFee

Great place with well kept campsites. Wide trails, only negative is the trails are so well used that the sand can be deep and gets into your shoes. Make sure to bring hiking shoes instead of running shoes so you don’t take home a pound of sand.

Maggie Toomey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 19, 2020
HikingBugsFee

We only did a little bit of the paved trail, the white trail and the blue trail. We were looking for Geocaches. Saw an owl in day time, and nearly stepped on a box tortoise. Will have to come back for just trail walking next time, but from what we did walk, a lot of the trails are overgrown. Maybe not used often, I bet with this virus thing going around, more and more people will be utilizing our state parks.

View Maggie's Recording
Jonathan Landwer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2019
Road bikingFee
View Jonathan's Recording
lorforton .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 20, 2019

baby walk before camping

View lorforton's Recording
David B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2019
Hiking

Started at Cassia Trailhead. Much more shaded than starting at Bear Pond Trailhead. Went out 2.5 miles which took me to Sulphur Springs Camp site (#3) which was a nice open spot to rest as their are two picnic tables to sit. Spots are little rough with storm debris but nothing you can't walk around or over.

Mary Schaperow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2019
Hiking

Walked from the Cassia Trailhead to Blackwater Creek and back. The horse flies were INCREDIBLE!!!

View Mary's Recording
E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 21, 2018
Hiking

Fantastic! It did rain I saw a rainbow. There is a lot of road walking on this it’s not very interesting although it does have elevation. And then you go right into the woods and it’s beautiful.I went out to the blind, observation blind. I turned around and lost the trail. Sigh. Until that point it was very easy to follow the orange markers on the tree. This seems to happen when I turn around a lot