River Rapids Nature Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thonotosassa, Florida that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Did the river and the nature trail, total for both loops was 2.6 miles. The east side of the trail per the app is weird, that’s where there are the amenities, but don’t know why it was mapped as a “V”. It’s an open area. The trail is marked and shaded, Loved the rapids, saw kayakers and an alligator.

fee

Great trail to take dogs on. Easy enough hike that you can do in less than two hours. It’s open now.

fee

We really enjoyed this trail because it's hard to find rapids in Florida. There were many old growth live oaks and cypress trees. They were draped with spanish moss and covered in resurrection fern. I look forward to a return to Hillsborough River State Park and hiking some more trails!

good trail for leisurely walk. saw turtles and alligators.

Beautiful, quiet walk.

Wide double chariot, no problem!

Only hiked half, accidentally walking off the trail to the main access road but from what I saw I’d recommend

fee

Pretty good trail for a quick hike. Nothing too tough and the scenery is beautiful. If you decide you want a longer hike there's options for that too. Costs a little to get in but the trail is well kept so they spend the money well.

I’ve been hiking this trail since I was a kid, and now as an adult I still enjoy it. Really beautiful and great for all ages.

fantastic hike with the boys

we hike to the suspension bridge in around the loop does a nice Trail nice shade

My family and I spent 4 days camping here and explored everything this Park had to offer. This trail was our favorite part. Even our three boys enjoyed this trail.

Look under the first suspension bridge. Under the stairs on the back side. Ammo box, geocaching thing

Tue May 14 2019

This was my first time at Hillsborough River State Park and I’m very pleased that I decided to come here. I would have preferred the longer Seminole Trail for the length but this Rapids Trail was absolutely beautiful. It’s not a common sight to see Native Florida these days and walking along this trail can make it feel like you’re going back in time. I’ll be back here again. As for the trail itself everything was fine aside from being a bit damp. It’s been raining constantly the last two days but I wasn’t going to let that deter me from a little exercise. It was not busy either. The only other people I saw were two kayakers and one other hiker. Though I think may have been because of the rain.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Sat Apr 20 2019

gorgeous

bridge out
Sun Feb 24 2019

Thu Feb 14 2019

Loved the river/rapids. I had hoped to have a better bike trail. But you can’t always have it all.

Thu Feb 14 2019

Quite a pleasant hike for this desert-dweller. Easy walk with greenery all around and, of course, a river. Added bonus- gator sighting!

Sun Jan 20 2019

Thu Jan 17 2019

Nice trails. Great river views. Easy. Dogs allowed.

Mon Nov 19 2018

eas hike, and fun view of the rapids. You can make it a bit more adventurous if the river isnt flooded and you can climb along the roots of the trees on the lower level

Tue Jul 10 2018

Had a great hike with the kids there. Saw gators, turtles and a hawk. The rapids are beautiful, bathrooms & playground are nearby.

Sat Jun 30 2018

fun but don't go on this trail in the hot weather

Thu Jun 07 2018

Really shows you what a wild Florida looks like. The rapids make for some great photography and as you make your way through the trail you really do feel one with nature, especially to be so close to home.

Wed May 30 2018

Great trail with awesome views of the river and "Florida rapids!" I also did the Baynard trail. Great park!