Port Bougainville Trail

Port Bougainville Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Key Largo, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This park was a development project that was shut down by the government because of endangered habitat. The path was the road going in to the neighborhood. Looks like the road was intentionally torn up. Two loops. Long loop seems to always be closed. No park staff.

This trail is close to home so we gave it a try. For anyone out of town visiting the Keys please note that this is the most boring "park" I have ever been to. Park service is often set up (only during Snowbird season) to collect $2.50 to enter the park. The path is paved in some parts but not in others from what appears to be damage to the road and is therefore not wheelchair accesible. With SO MANY beautiful parks in the area, why anyone at all would waste their time driving up to the park is beyond me. Most of the long loop trail is underwater and a CLOSED sign is up to the right of the trail.

lovely trail, lots of wildlife!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

It's a nice flat and shaded walk. The long loop cannot be completed without waders because it goes into the water. Then there is the half loop which is beautiful. There is a poisonous tree but just look out for it. I saw no crocodiles. It's very quiet trail and I had to pay 2.50 to walk. Very pretty!

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

This was a very peaceful trail that I walked with my dog once some stormy February weather passed. We encountered a couple of joggers but otherwise had the whole trail to ourselves. As a solo female (plus aforementioned dog), it seemed a bit remote at times. However, I enjoyed every second of this trail. The signs describing the trees and bushes were informative, and I stopped to read each of them. As an FYI: there is a port-a-potty around 200 yards in, but no water. I will make this trail a part of all my trips to the Keys from now own.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A nice mile loop (you can do it as a 2 mile loop) I did with mom and dad on the way back to Miami from Duck Key. Trees are well identified by tags. Trails, however could have been a little better marked. Nice and easy, flat loop. A handful of picnic tables are at the entrance to the loop, with a few benches around the trail. Very nice walking hike.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017