Paynes Prairie Loop Trail

Paynes Prairie Loop Trail is a 6.2 mile loop trail located near Micanopy, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Amazing Last time we went we saw bison and the wild horses as well as ton s of alligators. Previous times have seen deer as well

Classic Florida Hike from uplands to wetlands.

Stunning wildlife! This place is one of my absolute favorites!

Great starting point for tourists interested in exploring Florida wildlife. There is an easy trail called La Chua trail which is simple, flat, and straightforward with a marked path. There are gators in the swamps which are easily viewed from the trail. We went early in the AM (the park opens at 8:30AM).... we saw gators, all kinds of wild birds (like cranes), frogs, and some horses, and plenty of beautiful floral and fauna around the trail. The trail is about 1 mile long. I advise going early if you want to avoid too many tourists around.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Just moved here from the super dog friendly town of Carolina Beach, NC and this preserve is what I needed to relax. My dog Griffin and I recently hiked the Appalachian Trail and were itching to get out and these trails did the trick. The "fire lines" which aren't trails but beach off from them are quite beautiful and not so maintained which make them perfect for us. All in all great trails for the dog oriented human.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Nice park, we saw the wild horses, that was pretty cool. Lots of trails, mostly flat, feels like you are in the jungle.

Saturday, January 03, 2015