Overseas Highway Scenic Drive

Overseas Highway Scenic Drive is a 256.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Florida City, Florida that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

paddle sports

historic site

scenic driving

The Overseas Highway consists of 42 bridges of various lengths connecting the many scenic keys along its 113 mile length. The longest is the famous Seven Mile Bridge, which separates the Middle Keys from the Lower Keys and is the largest segmental bridge in the world. There are five regions in the Keys (Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon, Big Pine Key and Key West). I have made it is as far as Islamorada. I am very much looking forward to my next opportunity to visit South Florida so I can complete the trip to Key West and the Conch Republic…as well as to extend the experience with a ferry excursion to Dry Tortugas National Park (70 miles past Key West).

scenic driving

This another must do scenic drive that our country has to offer. From Florida City all the way to the southern most point in the U.S.A., this drive is like no other. The bridges from Key to Key are endless it seems. I'm surprised again that no one has reviewed this incredible drive to Key West. I had always wanted to go to Key West, but would only do it if I could drive. I would go again in a minute. And Key West is a fun town to hang out in for a few days too. So if you ever find yourself in South Florida, this is a worthwhile adventure!!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013