Malabar Scrub Sanctuary Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(88)
Malabar Scrub Sanctuary

Malabar Scrub Sanctuary Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malabar, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

Enjoyble but wouldn't advise for anyone who doesn't have sure footing. Very narrow path (often 1 foot wide or less) and tons of roots and other things to trip over. palmettos stick over the trail a lot, too. I was on the red trail and it was pretty poorly marked in many places. had to double back more than once. The pond was gorgeous and it was nice and isolated.

Went for a 6 mile walk (even though my map says less than that). A good part of our walk was shaded, and there was a nice breeze. Relatively few people.

Great trail with tons of access points and clearly marked. Well traveled and maintained. Lots of different options for intersecting trails. I followed the trail markers for the red trail, but it did not line up with this loaded map. At one point I could have followed the pavement to say on “course”, but who wants to walk on the road when you can walk in the woods?

Nice pavwd path for part way and off trail sandy. saw some scrub joys so very pleased.

We did not find the actual parking lot. GPS takes you to a private HOA lot. We started from different trailhead slightly northwest and looped onto the trail from there. Sandy mountain bike and horse trail for the most part with some decent tree coverage at times.

Sandy, hot, lots of sun exposure. Will have to hike the yellow trail next time.

nice trail not much shade well marked hikers and bikes do this trail in opposite directions so you can see them coming

Sun Mar 31 2019

Started at abt 8:30 am. Quite a number if trail bikers present. Would like to get an earlier start. Saw scrubjays, sandhill cranes, red bellied woodpeckers. Nice trail.

Fri Feb 08 2019

A fun winding trail threw the scrub. Take your time, there are a lot of tree roots to negotiate but that's what makes it interesting. No shade to speak with off. Some loose sandy spots in certain areas so be aware.

Thu Feb 07 2019

nice trails, seen bikers, trail has roots throughout, easy markers to help guide you.

Wed Jan 30 2019

Great! so great, my doctor recommends it!! you can't do better than that...doctor recommended!!

This is a beautiful set of trails that would easily be 5 stars if the trails were better marked. The maps at the front follow an older color coding system and don't include some of the new trails on the yellow one-way loop. Hikers should beware of cyclists, and vice versa. Due to the high scrub and limited visibilty, it might be wise to put a bell on your bike.

Sun Aug 19 2018

good variety for any rider, ties in well for short or long rides.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Nice run. Less shade than I had hoped.

Wed Aug 16 2017

drove up from psl.... really nice trail to ride.... not real dificult but it wasnt super easy either.... id deffinatly do this trail again.... very beautiful scenery as well... lots of open spots where u feel sun...but lots of cover as well...trails are marked very clearly!!!

Thu Feb 23 2017

Well maintained and a great hidden treasure in Palm Bay.

Wed Feb 01 2017

Leisure walk and birding. Not as many scrub jays as we had hoped, but there was a controlled burn last week. They are just now returning!

Sun Dec 04 2016

Fun trail :)

Wed Aug 10 2016

I love walking it! The horses love it! It's literally my backyard! Can't beat that!

Sun May 22 2016

First, there are at least 3 trailheads. I started at the Malabar Park trailhead. We have had a lot of rain in the last 7 days and as such, much of the trail was under water. You will get your feet wet! About half way through the route I chose the water just got too deep so I found a shortcut out and called it quits. I noticed a lot of broken glass and there are the occasional brush cut stumps on the trail, so proceed with caution or you could end up with a flat. Narrow trails, wet, winding, essentially no elevation changes, fun.

Mon Jan 11 2016

Beautiful trail, lots of water. Warning! Google maps drops you into some neighborhood, one of the first tracks recorded by another user showed the red trail, this is a great place to start.

Mon Mar 24 2014

I took my 9 year old son out here for a beginner's hike. It worked out really well with different terrains and very well marked trails. We followed the red markers for approximately 2 miles. Do beware that these are multi use trails, hiking running, and biking.

Fri Jul 26 2013

Malabar Scrub Sanctuary is part of the Brevard EELS program. This is a nice trail which has been improved upon over the past few years. I've taken several groups out on it, hiked it alone and have also run the trail a few times. Have seen many gopher tortoise, scrub jays, osprey, eagle, snakes (black racer) and other wildlife. Be sure to bring water and use your sunscreen as there as several sections of this trail that are exposed to the sun.

Thu May 23 2013

Nice trail. Not much shade and a couple spots in the trail wasn't marked clearly but we got back on track quickly. We did the red trail witch mapped about 2.7 miles. I took my 4 year old son and he had no problem finishing. Lots of wildlife out and about as well. We loved it and will be back.

Mon Oct 15 2012

This trail is great. It is longer than the stated 2.9 miles if you follow the recently extended red trail and then the blue at the cross section it all loops back at the entrance. I gave this trail a 4 because while it is maintained by the county it is still a wild trail. It has a little bit of everything. Remember; Pitch in, Pick up, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and don't forget your camera.

Thu Mar 29 2012

I hike the red trail which is a 2.4m loop to the East of the old paved road. Shaded maybe 30%. Dry weather turns packed sand into sugar powder. Back section along fence was recently 'fire breaked' obliterating the trail. This trail better than most in area.