Little Talbot Island Hiking Trail

Little Talbot Island Hiking Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mayport, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Such an amazing place and be sure of to stop by the driftwood boneyard!

little Talbot is not pet friendly at all. dogs cant go on the beach what so ever. this was a bust for us and we had to plan another hike.

Hiked in late October. Very nice setting, with a long stretch of the hike is walking along the beach which made for a unique hike! However Mother Nature made it a little unbearable with the swarming bugs in the wooded section of the hike. I may be back in the colder months but this was the worst bug situation I’ve dealt with on a hike.

Nice easy trail. Bug spray is a mist!! Nice to have a couple of miles in woods then a couple of miles on the beach. Hard packed sand so it is easy to walk in shoes.

Oct 25. We found it enjoyable. It was swarming with mosquitos though. Also, halfway down the 4 mile trail we hit a dead end ( so we thought ) where driftwood and debri from Hurricane Irma greatly obstructed the path onto the beach. We carefully trekked over it and onto the beach rather than turning back. The beach contrasted wonderfully with the somewhat monotonous hike through the wooded area and it was a nice haven away from the mosquitos. We got back to north beach as the sun was setting. All in all, it was a great time however, I will not be doing it again until it cools down a bit more (bye bye blood suckers) and the beach access to the trail is cleared.

We did this trail over the holiday weekend. It is a pretty diverse trail as half of it is in the woods while the other half is along the beach shore. Parking was not a hassle, which is always nice as well ($5).

Let's start with the woods half. The other people who wrote reviews and I are not joking when we say... take your bug spray!! It's like the Amazon out there (never been but that's what I imagine). There wasn't much to see though, so this portion can be done fairly quickly.

The beach half of this trail is the much more enjoyable. There is drift wood along the coastline, which is different from any other beach hike I've done.

Overall, the trail is average, but the shoreline makes it a lot better. My recommendation would be to start at the beach portion of the loop and only do that :)

I started from the beach and hike the shoreline a couple miles. There were a lot of shells and driftwood along the shore. The trial then cuts into the forest for the remainder of the trail. I saw a huge turtle along the trail as well as sand dunes and lots of bugs. You definitely want to bring bug spray on this one.

Good trail. Bring Deet and come after high tide... Beautiful forest canopy over ancient dunes to a unspoiled and wild beach.

A very special person took me there this past Memorial Day. Beautiful hike with a great payoff when you reach the Beach.

Great place to see the real Florida!

Not well marked but is a nice wide trail. Started with the wooded part. A little confusing once you reach the beach...you can either proceed back along the beach or retrace your steps on the trail (which is shadier). Nice elevation changes. Beautiful views of the beach. Not a significant amount of traffic.

Nice hike overall. I would suggest starting on section in woods and then to beach. Coming down from beach, the trail entrance is very difficult to find. I found a complete sand dollar so my my hike was very satisfying.

Lots of bugs in the wooded part of the trail but the beach was beautiful.

This is a beautiful walk through the woods to the ocean, with a lot more changes in elevation that you usually see in Florida thanks to all the sand dunes. You're definitely going to want to bring a heck ton of bug spray though -- we treated our clothes and put on some deet before we went out and the mosquitoes were still almost unbearable. But once you get out to the beach, they're not a problem anymore. It is really awesome being in the woods and hearing the ocean as you get close! Once you're actually out on the beach, there's a lot of washed up driftwood that looks really neat, and plenty of birds. As others have said, when the tide comes in it washes out part of the trail (this part of the trail is right at the northern-most part of the beach).

Monday, November 14, 2016

It was a beautiful hike. Just make sure you go during low tide, or you won't be able to complete the loop

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Another beautiful state park and beach. And late October was a great time to visit...fewer people and bugs.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Loved it! Just track the tides

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Nice combination of beach and woods! You will run out of beach on the north end at high tide.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Awesome easy trail. Beautiful scenery. Found a lot of sand dollars! Way cool!

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Lovely little hike through scrub oaks and dunes