Learn more

Little Econlockhatchee is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oviedo, Florida that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Thick woods, lots of palmettos, and a Florida waterfall! This trail begins from the back end of the Oviedo Riverside Park. You have to walk across a grassy field to find the trailhead. Cross over the river using the tree bridge. Then go along the river until you see the cypress tree next to a little waterfall. The "waterfall" is a little cascade that falls from some Cypress roots along the banks of the Little Econ River. It's worth a visit just for the pleasure of seeing what passes for a waterfall in Florida.

Not my favorite trail, very buggy, overgrown in parts, scenery was not exceptional. Wound up with poison ivy!

flooded

There is a lot of water. Within 20 feet of the entrance, we hit water we could cross. another 20 feet and it was just all water. There is a field before the trail that was nice, but that's not a trail.

Lived in the neighborhood for years and never took the opportunity to explore this beautiful little trail that follows the river behind the developments. Definitely not a biking trail as we came across many felled trees across the trail. It was a bit overgrown in some spots too and it was single file most of the way. The river was very low as we have not started rainy season yet, so I’m sure there will be quite a different look to the trail as the river rises. We saw some sweet fishing holes even though the river was low with fish visible in the clear water with sandy bottom. Plan on coming back soon with our poles and often for a quick nature hike rather than just walking our neighborhood streets for exercise. We took an hour to go to the end and back mostly because I stopped to take pictures and appreciate the plants and scenery.

nice trail for walking, not for biking too tight, runs along a beautiful creek you can walk through at some parts, highly recommend!

Very difficult for mountain biking going in I had to get off several times. Almost got back without jumping off. Very short out and back, mostly walked.

Nice trail and distance for younger kids. The water was low and we may have missed the “waterfall,” but enjoyed a nice morning hike.

Fri Feb 22 2019

i am very surprised this was labeled as easy. It is deceptively this way because there is a nice wide trail at first but the second you go off the maintenance road it becomes small, curvy, not marked. The red at the south is labeled as Twin Rivers and not to trespass so I would have backed it up a bit before you turn around and not follow the red all the way. Also the red line crosses the river you don't actually cross it you just walk along the bank a few times. Of the trails I have walked this was the best at seeing nature with me seeing turtles, birds, lizards, squirrels, alligators, waterbugs, fish. It is also the first trail walk I have not seen another person at all. Conflicted on how to rate this because the trail is not well marked but the nature part is great so I split the difference.

Tue Jan 22 2019

This is a short trail which follows the Little Econ River. It doesn't appear to be a formal trail, but likely made by fishermen. There are trees with duct tape on them that appear to be there to mark the way to the "waterfall," a small cascade made by Cypress roots. It was an enjoyable walk.

Sun Feb 11 2018

not clearly marked and over grown since irma. access is from the riverside park across the open field.

Sat Jan 27 2018

Pretty walk. But very short and trail entrance is not clearly marked

Sun Jan 21 2018

Great walk with family.. beautiful river views!

The waterfall is small, maybe 5ft? Most people are expecting something huge, but it's really not.

Sun Jul 26 2015

Good average trail I to did not see what're fall. But had an enjoyable hike

Sun Aug 25 2013

This was not worth the drive to get there, once there you practically needed a machete to find a path...an employee at Riverside Park didn't even know there was a hiking trail there. I was very disappointed. :-(

Tue Mar 27 2012

If this is the one u was on. Where is the waterfall? How far do u hike till u find it?

Sat Dec 24 2011

its ok

Fri Apr 22 2011

This is a good little trail that is dog friendly. I used to live in a neighborhood near-by. It begins in a park where there are tables under pavilions for picnics.

recorded Little Econlockhatchee