Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lake Myakka Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sarasota, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 62 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Myakka River State Park has multiple trails located in Sarasota, Florida The trails are good for all skill levels and their is something for everyone from walking to fishing, kayaking/canoeing, bikes, birding, running, camping, horses are allowed on certain trails. MYAKKA'S WORLDS BIGGEST AIR BOAT

I live in Bradenton and often go here to have some time in the woods. Today my husband (a local native!), our 2 dogs and I went for " a little walk." started at the power line train heading east. Huge gators sunning themselves in the river beds and creeks along the trail. We continued past the usual.turn and found a little path to Bee Island. Only hike about 1/2 way in. it was cool, shady and teeming with birds. We walked right up on a good sized white tailed doe. She wasn't alarmed by us or our dogs (who were leashed of course). Back on the main trail, stopped to chat with couple of women on their horses. They suggested a little horse trail close to the entrance of power line start. so we took it. beautiful, quiet, cool. mostly shaded. our short hike ended up > 5 miles. we followed the red marks to yellow . I love Myakka. next time I'll have my fit bit and know the actual milage. keep in mind, even in Florida winter, it can get very warm. take more water then you think you'll need

Great trail with plenty of scenery and wildlife. Trailhead was a little confusing to find at first but we quickly realized it starts out on the road. Things got a little exciting when we came upon an alligator. Noticed a lot of hog damage on the trail. Plenty of shade made for a nice hike.

First hike in Florida, way wilder environment than expected. After the first 1/4 mile, three wild pigs went crashing across the trail in front of me. You can be sure I was paying attention after that. Seemed like everywhere I went, I was surprising animals — crashes and splashes in the brush all around. The trail hadn’t been hiked in a while; it was all torn up in places by the pigs, rooting. This trail had everything — amazing live oaks, lakes, swamps, open flood plains, and dense forest, often only three feet wide. Three washed out trail sections to avoid, but even so, up to your laces in water. Will do again, for sure.

This place should not come up for road biking!!! We drove an hour only to be told by the ranger, the loop was not suitable for a road bike!!! We left!!

Thu Apr 04 2019

Not a huge fan of wide open hiking in the long grass, but loved taking a break from the beach to get into nature and work up a sweat. More than half the hike was wide open and in full sun. I was lucky I brought a log sleeve shirt so I wouldn’t get burnt

Thu Mar 21 2019

Good dry trail

Sat Dec 22 2018

I went after 2 days of heavy raining so there were a lot of very flooded areas. Some places came up almost to my hips and I’m 6’ 4”, not sure how high or if at all the water would come up if you went at a drier time. Part of the east loop was so flooded I couldn’t go back there because I would have been swimming. But I’m sure if it were drier it would have been just as gorgeous as the rest of the hike.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Wet. Hot. Wonderful!! Seriously, and be prepared to get your feet wet. Look hard. When I went on the south Florida trail of them. I just couldn’t see the. Markings and turned around. The north side of. It was much better

Mon Jul 23 2018

This trail is north of the powerline trail. And it’s always desereteit. If you go in. 7/10 of a mile and then you can go to your left or to your right On a Florida trail piece. I went left. After .3 miles you come to a small bridge, and you want to pay attention because otherwise you’ll be on the big broad Road, and miss the nice narrow path. I continued on about 2 1/2 miles. Then it got wet. Normally that wouldn’t bother me but I was going to have to turn around soon anyway. I love how a trail looks so different when you’re going the opposite direction. There’s a lot of moss on trees. There are sections where palms have been burnt. And I heard either a frog Or a gator. I did not check out which it was. No mosquitoes today to speak of. And there’s always no people on this trail. It look like the one with the bridge swinging Bridge was packed. I’ll come back in the winter to look at that one.

Wed Jun 13 2018

So I went on the main trail for about a mile. Then I came to the Florida trail and went left; West. It was very nice for 2.8 miles. Went through some soggy land lotta cabbage palms in Oaks. And some very open Palmetto scrub. You could see were fires had come through. Then I took the blue trail because that says it took me to the trailhead. And actually takes you to the road. The main road. I’m not much of a road walker and it was 2 miles back to the car. But it was very nice. Got to see the lake on one side and the swamp on the other side. Next time I will go either East on the Florida trail portion, or dog like Back or the Blue portion starts. It was worth it to do once. Because for a road walk it was pretty darn nice. I heard something crashing through the words; probably a deer. But I was not quick enough to see it. Lotta frogs. Oh and I did see a hawk when I was walking on the road. Maybe heard some alligators to I’m not sure. I was on the Branch house road or something like that. Didn’t see another person. The way I like it!

Mon Apr 23 2018

I hiked the trail towards the back. And was totally deserted. Wonderful. When you walk 1 mile down a ancient cabbage palm lined Road, you come to the Florida Trail. Maybe not like the real Florida trail, but I believe it’s a side shoot that they volunteer and maintain. You can go to the left and it says it’s a 3 mile loop back to the trailhead. I did not do that. I went to the right. And you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Next time I’ll walk even further there is a Bee island it sounded interesting. It was not super hot. And they’re actually no bugs. Yay

Wed Mar 28 2018

This was a nice trail. A lot of canopy areas and a few grassy spots. Cut it a little short, only did 8 miles, because of time. We started early which worked out great, because once you get in the grass there’s no hiding from the sun.

Wed Feb 28 2018

I short hike because when you get into the trail eventually Peters out. Could to still be Irma damage? The park was packed, very nice! Last time was here was all by myself

Tue Jan 09 2018

if you go in the rainy season, you better be an experienced hiker and camper. rest of the year its great. when it rains, its a true swamp, they have very little foot traffic so lots of over grown trails. i did a two day, one night full loop, 22 total miles and slept in 1 inch of water due to a late after rain right after i set up camp. i was prepared for the conditions, and still was miserable, go when its dry or again have more experience than a weekend hiker. also you must register if you stay at the remote camp sites, make sure you do. as well get the ranger station number in case you need to change that camp site

Sat Nov 18 2017

We did half of the trail running, really enjoyed it about 6 miles of you don’t do the second loop. Parts of it are very open in direct sunlight which was difficult but definitely a fun trail and would do it again. We followed the white dots.

Sun Jul 30 2017

The trails were heavy with water, which made me not do the blue trail. I turned around after running into a coyote since I was solo and about to walk through a clearing. The trails are challenging. Be ready to have your shoes and socks drenched. I also recommend bringing poles to check the ground before stepping on some areas, or scaring snakes off. I saw lots of birds, a few gators (off of the trail), 0 snakes, 1 coyote. I didn't like that part of the trail winds along the road, but during the summer months there isn't much traffic to disturb you. Always bring rainproof gear while out in florida summers! There weren't many mosquitos or bugs.

Wed Jul 12 2017

OK this is the first time I walked in the water of any depth. It was just over my ankles but I was a little nervous. You could see the trail. In the tower is amazing. Saw some deer.

Mon May 01 2017

A really beautiful state park with lots to do. They charge 4 dollars to get in and take cash or credit. I did a short hike and wish I planned my day better so I could have done a longer one. It was extremely hot and there are some exposed parts on the trails so bring lots of water and make sure to wear sunscreen.

Sat Nov 05 2016

Mossy Oak trail a lot of shade, canopy, creek, etc nice day

Fri Sep 23 2016

We only did part of the trail after we finished canoeing, but it really gives you a view of Florida's natural state. It's very different than the rest of the country.

Thu Jun 25 2015

Can be hot in summer bring lots of water. some areas with nice tree cover. Best trails to north of park. Equestrian as well. And biking too.

Thu May 14 2015

I spent two days, one night at Myakka River State Park, and hiked the entire outer loop. There is a fee per person per night, no parking fee, and you must reserve a site via phone ahead of time. If you think that hiking all day to one of the remote sites will buy you some solitude, you would be wrong. Each camp area has a cluster of sites right next to one another. Suitable tent (or hammock sites) are few and far between in the park, but they can be found. I chose to camp outside of an established site and LNT. Check with the rangers about water availability. They leave bottles of water at each pump, those are used to prime the pumps, not for drinking. There are some streams that you can filter water from, but they are not regularly spaced. I found delicious orange and grapefruit growing off trail in the north end of park. I saw a wide variety of birds, herds of deer, pigs, racoon, and turkeys on my trip. Myakka River State Park is all the best parts of Florida. Definitely make this trip in the winter, and bring sun protection. The winding trails snake you across open, exposed prairie for miles at a time. It's really something to see where you were a whole day ago. The stands of trees are wet and muddy, so you'll appreciate finding our way out onto the prairie again to dry out your shoes. The pigs graze along trails and leave them rutted for a mile at a time in many places. Even when it's dry out, there will be standing water, and if it has been raining, most of the park will be very wet. I heard from another hiker that the spot on the map marked as "Old Railroad Grade" is a green tunnel covered with trees and is quite a nice walk. On the map I had at the time, it just looked like a road, so I naturally avoided it. It might be worth a look!

Thu Apr 16 2015

Spent a very nice morning here hiking various trails for a total of about 9 miles. Although a lot of the terrain is in open grasslands, the white blazed loop meanders through many shaded areas. On section of the hike took us to the Bee Island primate camp, which was lovely!

Sun Jul 06 2014

Pigs, birds, deer, and gators :) Beautiful and relaxing hike at any time of year. Wear sunscreen.

Tue Mar 18 2014

I love this place!!!!!! From hiking the many trails to biking them kayaking the river and lake and fishing them and just enjoying every little bit of the wildlife in the wilderness is just awesome!!!!

Thu Dec 12 2013

This was one of the first times we were able to hike in this area and our first time in Myakka SP. We walked the power line to the hiking trail (the one that leads to Bee Island Campsite) and then continued on the circle back to the crossroad and looped back to the powerline for our exit. Being from the mountains of upstate NY we enjoyed the different hiking environment from what we are used to (typically heavily wooded, steep rocky trails with 2000' of gain over a mile or 2). The view across the open plain was very nice as well as the variety of plant life. Getting used to those HUGE banana spiders took the wife some time :) ! We also saw an armadillo, several alligators, a few wild hogs and some beautiful birds. Very nice trail system, can't wait to see more of it.

Fri Nov 29 2013

Really enjoyed our time here. Scenery was excellent and lots of trails to hit. Can't wait to go back!