Lake Myakka Trail

Lake Myakka Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hidden River, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

scenic driving

Myakka River State Park has multiple trails located in Sarasota, Florida The trails are good for all skill levels and their is something for everyone from walking to fishing, kayaking/canoeing, bikes, birding, running, camping, horses are allowed on certain trails. MYAKKA'S WORLDS BIGGEST AIR BOAT

I short hike because when you get into the trail eventually Peters out. Could to still be Irma damage? The park was packed, very nice! Last time was here was all by myself

if you go in the rainy season, you better be an experienced hiker and camper. rest of the year its great. when it rains, its a true swamp, they have very little foot traffic so lots of over grown trails. i did a two day, one night full loop, 22 total miles and slept in 1 inch of water due to a late after rain right after i set up camp. i was prepared for the conditions, and still was miserable, go when its dry or again have more experience than a weekend hiker. also you must register if you stay at the remote camp sites, make sure you do. as well get the ranger station number in case you need to change that camp site

We did half of the trail running, really enjoyed it about 6 miles of you don’t do the second loop. Parts of it are very open in direct sunlight which was difficult but definitely a fun trail and would do it again. We followed the white dots.

The trails were heavy with water, which made me not do the blue trail. I turned around after running into a coyote since I was solo and about to walk through a clearing. The trails are challenging. Be ready to have your shoes and socks drenched. I also recommend bringing poles to check the ground before stepping on some areas, or scaring snakes off. I saw lots of birds, a few gators (off of the trail), 0 snakes, 1 coyote.

I didn't like that part of the trail winds along the road, but during the summer months there isn't much traffic to disturb you. Always bring rainproof gear while out in florida summers! There weren't many mosquitos or bugs.

OK this is the first time I walked in the water of any depth. It was just over my ankles but I was a little nervous. You could see the trail. In the tower is amazing. Saw some deer.

A really beautiful state park with lots to do. They charge 4 dollars to get in and take cash or credit. I did a short hike and wish I planned my day better so I could have done a longer one. It was extremely hot and there are some exposed parts on the trails so bring lots of water and make sure to wear sunscreen.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Mossy Oak trail a lot of shade, canopy, creek, etc nice day

Friday, September 23, 2016

We only did part of the trail after we finished canoeing, but it really gives you a view of Florida's natural state. It's very different than the rest of the country.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Can be hot in summer bring lots of water. some areas with nice tree cover. Best trails to north of park. Equestrian as well. And biking too.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

I spent two days, one night at Myakka River State Park, and hiked the entire outer loop. There is a fee per person per night, no parking fee, and you must reserve a site via phone ahead of time. If you think that hiking all day to one of the remote sites will buy you some solitude, you would be wrong. Each camp area has a cluster of sites right next to one another. Suitable tent (or hammock sites) are few and far between in the park, but they can be found. I chose to camp outside of an established site and LNT. Check with the rangers about water availability. They leave bottles of water at each pump, those are used to prime the pumps, not for drinking. There are some streams that you can filter water from, but they are not regularly spaced. I found delicious orange and grapefruit growing off trail in the north end of park. I saw a wide variety of birds, herds of deer, pigs, racoon, and turkeys on my trip.

Myakka River State Park is all the best parts of Florida. Definitely make this trip in the winter, and bring sun protection. The winding trails snake you across open, exposed prairie for miles at a time. It's really something to see where you were a whole day ago. The stands of trees are wet and muddy, so you'll appreciate finding our way out onto the prairie again to dry out your shoes. The pigs graze along trails and leave them rutted for a mile at a time in many places. Even when it's dry out, there will be standing water, and if it has been raining, most of the park will be very wet.

I heard from another hiker that the spot on the map marked as "Old Railroad Grade" is a green tunnel covered with trees and is quite a nice walk. On the map I had at the time, it just looked like a road, so I naturally avoided it. It might be worth a look!

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spent a very nice morning here hiking various trails for a total of about 9 miles. Although a lot of the terrain is in open grasslands, the white blazed loop meanders through many shaded areas. On section of the hike took us to the Bee Island primate camp, which was lovely!

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pigs, birds, deer, and gators :) Beautiful and relaxing hike at any time of year. Wear sunscreen.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I love this place!!!!!! From hiking the many trails to biking them kayaking the river and lake and fishing them and just enjoying every little bit of the wildlife in the wilderness is just awesome!!!!

Thursday, December 12, 2013

This was one of the first times we were able to hike in this area and our first time in Myakka SP. We walked the power line to the hiking trail (the one that leads to Bee Island Campsite) and then continued on the circle back to the crossroad and looped back to the powerline for our exit. Being from the mountains of upstate NY we enjoyed the different hiking environment from what we are used to (typically heavily wooded, steep rocky trails with 2000' of gain over a mile or 2). The view across the open plain was very nice as well as the variety of plant life. Getting used to those HUGE banana spiders took the wife some time :) ! We also saw an armadillo, several alligators, a few wild hogs and some beautiful birds. Very nice trail system, can't wait to see more of it.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Really enjoyed our time here. Scenery was excellent and lots of trails to hit. Can't wait to go back!

Monday, April 08, 2013

Not a great place to go mountain biking. Not bad for a road course. None of the trails are enjoyable by bike because the dirt is way to bumpy to enjoy

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Great fun, beautiful scenery, and quiet outdoors. This park offers everything for the nature lover; biking, kayaking, canoeing, running, and walking. Costs to get into the park.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1-28-12 Make sure you confirm your reservations. They messed mine up twice! Other than that the park is very nice. Stayed at mossy oaks campsite for one night. Heard A LOT of wild hogs, especially at night. There is evidence of them everywhere (holes they dig up looking for food). They even came into the camp site at night looking for food. The trails are marked every 10-20 yards. Due to Florida weather, I would only go during the winter months.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I have hiked here a few times, and this is a great hike for a day. Drove from Tampa and had a great time. Mostly shady, and saw a big fat gator to boot. I believe this is the one where they have a hanging bridge they use for doing research on the forest canopy, which is very cool and something you don't find in many other places.

Sunday, March 12, 2017