Hontoon Island Shell Mound Trail

Hontoon Island Shell Mound Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Deland, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There is a nature trail which is the recommended trail for hikers. It is mostly shaded. A wider, utility vehicle trail can be used for biking, but it is not shady. The nature trail leads to an ancient Indian shell mound.

Hike with Robin and Mike. Watch for chiggers when finding dead limbs for walking stick. Interesting Native American area. Restrooms at the start and a nature building.

Not much of a hike in my opinion

Peaceful, quiet, shaded trail that was leisurely and easy to navigate. Very clean and well kept area. Would be nice if they had more benches along the trail to sit and watch for wildlife. Park staff runs a short party barge ferry from the parking lot across to the island park. They have kayak/canoe rentals as well. Ferry and park admission is free!

Part of this trail is through palmetto scrub and part through oak hammock with some board walks. If it has trained recently, use insect repellant. The shell mound next to the river is the highlight.

Hontoon Island is one of my favorite parks. Riding the ferry over is such a neat experience, and it's like time hasn't touched the place.

The overall place isn't really exciting. The one and only hiking trail wasn't worth it and is really short. However, they have these roads that end up at different camping turnouts, so we created a route to visit them to make it worth our hiking trip. Those roads were nice and pleasant to walk in 55F weather, late January.
The ferry is free and just a minute ride to the otherside. Last ride is at 4.30pm to the island and 5pm from the island.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

This terrific hike on Hontoon Island is part of a sanctioned trail sponsored by the Florida Volkssporting Association, of the AVA - America's Walking Club. Stop in the island store and ask for the "walk box" for maps/directions for a 3.1 mile (5 km) or 6.2 mile (10km) walk on the island.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great trail hike! So much to see of old Florida. A true hiking gem!

Friday, July 08, 2016

Friday, July 08, 2016

Easy and beautiful. The ferry ride was awesome, and the Rangers were great!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Such a pretty park. Great hike. Not hard at all, some wet spots. Ferry took you from the trailhead to the island. Great restrooms.

Monday, January 04, 2016

My husband, 2 sons (age 6 & 10) took this trail! We had fun, it was a very nice trail that was pretty easy. It was raining but the trees provided so much cover that it was more like a drizzle. We got through it quickly(approx 1 hr 30mins) for us with kids thats awesome. When we reached where the mound began to form it got really scenic and interesting! We were really expecting a little more information on what to look for with the Indian shell mound, so we reached the end of the trail we didn't know where to look for the artifacts and stuff so we headed back through some other routes which were also nice and maintained. When we reached the information station we asked and found out that we were right on top of the mound and just didn't see it. But other than that, this island is really nice and the volunteers who help keep it running like the ferry boat operators are really nice and special! Would love to go camping here for the night and give it another try!

Monday, January 04, 2016

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Great place to get away. Very quiet and peaceful. Good birding. Easy biking and walking trails. Lots of alligators.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

I enjoyed this trail today. Not too strenuous, but plenty of things to keep it from being boring. I saw a wild turkey, a hawk, an osprey at her nest, plenty of water birds and song birds, two small gators...but no deer or armadillo. Not to crowded. I only encountered maybe 6-7 people while I was on the trail. The Indian ruins are pretty cool...they rise up and you look down upon the marshy area below. The big oak at the end is impressive and inspiring. I sat on the bench next to her and ate a snack and listened to what sounded like hundreds of tree frogs (it had just rained). Would love to go back and camp at this park in the near future.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Grew up hiking in these woods. You are guaranteed to see some wildlife.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The hike to the Timucuan Indian mound is easy and well maintained--I was able to complete it in less than hour because I was rushed to get back to ferry after arriving late. I wish I could have stayed longer to hike more.

The wildlife viewing is incredible--saw several deer up close and armadillos were shameless! Ranger staff are very friendly. My dog loved this park.