Hickey's Creek Trail

Hickey's Creek Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alva, Florida that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Hickey's Creek Trail is one of three trails in Mitigation Park which can be combined to make a longer loop. ADA accessibility is available from the parking area to the amphitheater and continues to the fishing pier and creek overlook. The trails are primitive and not accessible to strollers. Hickey's Creek Mitigation Park is co-managed by the Lee County Dept. of Parks and Recreation and the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission. It consists of a variety of habitats including palmetto-oak scrub, pine flatwoods and seasonal wetlands. Views of scenic Hickey's Creek can be enjoyed from trail and overlook areas. The ecosystem presently supports the threatened Florida scrub jay and gopher tortoises. **Park Amenities: Parking Restrooms Canoe/kayak landing Fishing deck Two picnic areas with eight picnic tables Two bridges across Hickey's Creek Two trail shelters Five miles of hiking trails. Handicap accessible trail to Hickey's Creek and to the amphitheater.

I have been going to this trail for 10 years and it still ranks as my favorite! The trails are truly primitive and you have to pay attention to both your feet and your head! Some amazing lookout points and rarely another person on the trail makes it a trail runners paradise - I start running from the parking lot and get an even 5 miles of loop on my Garmin.

Nice little set of trails. More scenic than I expected. Lots of wildlife - had a couple snakes dart out in front of me while walking.

Nice early morning hike. We started out along the river and cleared the many cobwebs for future hikers. We only met four other hikers. It was a peaceful hike through natural Florida.

I did my first solo trail run (4.5 miles) today. Once I got over my nervousness about being alone, I really enjoyed myself. Some parts were super fun to run up and down while leaping over roots, I was actually giggling. I came across two big black racer snakes, some pretty gray birds, and one huge yellow rat snake that gave me a heart attack. I was in a clearing and almost ran over her. Once I saw the snake I literally jumped 2 feet up and screamed. I was definitely on alert after that. Although I know the snake isn’t venomous, it was very surprising. I only saw a few people while I was out, so it made for a nice peaceful run. I loved running the trail and will go back there again for sure!

Nice but not much shade though

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

did all 5.8 miles in 2 and 3/4 hrs. saw 1 gopher tortoise and 2 black snakes. very well marked and maintained. peaceful trek

Monday, February 27, 2017

Saw a lot of wildlife

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

We hiked all 5 miles of trails. Trails were in great shape. It was very dry out there, but I can see where it could be very wet in the rainy season. I really loved it.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Nice trail, more for older kids. You will need a hat, there is not much shade from the sun. There is a gazebo not too far down the entrance trail.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Beautiful trails...enjoyed hiking them with my daughter and husband. On our travels besides the beauty around us we did see a turtle swimming in the creek and 2 black racer snakes!

Saturday, April 02, 2016

We loved the trails and views! Would definitely return!!!

Saturday, May 13, 2017