Heron's Nest Nature Park Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(28)
Heron's Nest Nature Park

Heron's Nest Nature Park Loop is a 1.4 kilometer loop trail located near Sarasota, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, birding, and road biking and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 km Elevation Gain: 3 m Route Type: Loop

partially paved

recorded Heron's Nest Nature Park Loop

Nice hike around Summerfield Lake and Herron Lake. Shaded trail with palm trees—Snag Trail and Wolf Slough. Saw an anhinga, turtle, osprey swooping for a fish. Last part of hike was a hardwood swamp. Full sun around the lakes, shade on the trails. Started out with Max and Van biking and Van wasn’t such a fan of biking (I think it was too hot for him), so Izzy and Max used the bikes for the majority of the time. Max saw a rattle snake at the very end of the hike! He almost ran over it on his bike! Would definitely come back! Sal’s favorite part: “none of us getting bit by a rattlesnake! Also when Van didn’t fall in the lake on his bike. Also it was beautiful.” Iz: “none us getting bitten and killed by a rattlesnake or alligator...finding snail shells.” Max: “saving people’s lives! Can I get I prize for saving people’s lives?” Van: “The alligator doesn’t get us now!”

Lovely easy trail. Partially shaded, peaceful, esp. with few people using the main park. I still havent figured out the "loop" or numbered unattractive markers. But I haven't really tried. I can get in a nice 40 minute power walk with the dogs. I usually go in the morning so bugs not a problem. Have only been using the trail since March so don't what it's like in rainy season It sure is pretty

Nice trail. Dog Friendly.

3rd visit to park. Hiked down to the adventure park pavilion and explored some of the trails further into the park. Restrooms at pavilion were clean. Park is well maintained and trails were clear.

Second time to this park, this time on a beautiful day. On our second trip, a Saturday, we Walked the one mile loop around the big lake, hereafter named Dragonfly Loop, near the parking lot/boat launch. It was very nice- great breeze and the path was firm and dry. Several families were fishing around the lake and we got to see someone use the boat launch area to go fishing. Afterward, we walked into the park itself and did an additional 1/2 mile loop with noticeably fewer mosquitoes than last time. We did bug spray immediately prior to beginning the hike and none of us were bothered by bugs. The trails were clear and the park is well maintained.

Nice park with a covered pavilion, bathrooms, and playground in the center. Park has a dog park section, so there is usually a few folks walking their dogs. The heron lake loop is nice- there is a good amount of shade, fewer mosquitoes, with access to the Braden river at various points. It is important to stay alert on these trails as there is a chance of encountering a gator or rattlesnake. The grade is basically flat.

Thu Feb 07 2019

Small but sweet nature area managed by a local private housing development (so don’t be surprised to find some trail ends bring you into or in view of neighborhoods). Reasonably wide paths of crushed shell, pine needle, pavement, &/or pressed soil wind around & between wooded areas and two large ponds with some small streams & marshy areas interspersing. Expected birds, geckos and squirrels. A “Danger: Rattlesnakes” sign was a novelty for me, a Yankee visitor. I was staying at/(in?) River Strand nearby, visiting family, and that complex weirdly has no shaded paths. So I was just looking for an easy sun dappled walk. About half was, which suited me well. I went down a few side paths and needed to double back a short bit once or twice and ended up at nearly 3 m. No great shakes but good to know about/have around. NOTE: • there is a trail map at the lot. Take a picture with phone if you care to, bc there are no others. • Bring binocs to watch birds on mini-island rookery • “Interpretative signage” referenced on sign is entirely missing.

Wed Jan 09 2019

Beautiful scenic trail.

Tue Jan 01 2019

A lot of little trails that go around the area. Not very scenic. Lots of trees. But really peaceful and has a few little creeks running through it which are nice

Sat Aug 04 2018

I run here just about everyday. I have seen an abundance of gopher tortoises, alligators, and other wildlife. There are many off shoot trails off of the main path, and I can fit in about 7 miles of running in Herons Nest. Follow the trail past the park to the gravel and you will run through trees, by lakes, and streams. I recommend (for long distance runners) to follow the trail all the way to the end (Lorraine road), making a right on Lorraine, and another right on hidden river trail: a remote road that is also good for running.

Mon May 21 2018

Little trails run off everywhere. Confusing. But nice ponds.

Tue Sep 05 2017

A nice 1 mile loop trail.

Sat Feb 04 2017

Good for walking and biking. Good mix of paved and unpaved trails. All flat. Good views of lakes and streams (Braden River?). Dog Park and playground at one end.

recorded Recording - Mar 22, 14:15